Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1545277  by NHV 669

With the Governor's stay at home order set to expire on Monday, CSRX has posted on their Facebook page that they intend to start 2020 operations on Saturday, June 20th.

https://www.facebook.com/303235007578/p ... 280167579/
 #1545315  by NHV 669

We're talking what, a half mile, and two new bridges? They didn't rebuild the entire line. But it was indeed a ton of money for a very small stretch of track that isn't a major part of CSRX-marketed excursions outside of special runs.
 #1545316  by b&m 1566

bostontrainguy - Now your comment makes sense, so to answer your question: Basically NHDOT, had to design the by-pass in such away that it allowed room for rail, as state law requires that rail takes precedence. Also the Conway Scenic, has an operating lease on that section, they did before construction started and still do to this day, in fact they operated their first train to Redstone in June of 1998, the line didn't close till September of the following year (IIRC) and was reopened in November 2003. Side note, that by-pass is the 1st phase of a multi-phased project, that's suppose to re-route, routes 16 and 302 around the villages of Conway and N. Conway.
 #1545378  by BandA

The parts that are active lines, will they add these costs to fees the railroads pay, over say 40 years? $2M for bridges is not much money at all. Why are there not federal grants available? That's a lot of ties!

Which portion is applicable to the CSRX? I had assumed that CSRX was doing their own track work.
 #1545402  by NHV 669

https://www.conwaydailysun.com/news/the ... 036d9.html

This seems to be the best source for the North-South Road bypass being built at a cost of $10 million, but does not mention the new bridges as part of that cost, then again, maybe they are. The state owns the tracks, and did all of the work building the road and realigning the track, so I don't believe CSRX has ever had any financial responsibility for covering the cost of the project.

The original RoW itself was considered as one of the bypass routes, but was ultimately not chosen, and simply realigned.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1545412  by b&m 1566

BandA wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:03 am The parts that are active lines, will they add these costs to fees the railroads pay, over say 40 years? $2M for bridges is not much money at all. Why are there not federal grants available? That's a lot of ties!

Which portion is applicable to the CSRX? I had assumed that CSRX was doing their own track work.
The regular fund doesn't cover the cost needed to fix such issues, that's why the NHDOT had to apply for emergency funds. Thankfully the state legislature approved those funds. As for what the Conway Scenic is responsible for, I really don't know, it all depends how the lease is written, I've never seen it myself but I'm sure there's a public disclosure for it, I've just never gone looking for it.
 #1545703  by b&m 1566

Their revised summer schedule has been released. Daily departures start June 20th with departures to Conway at 930 & 3, and Bartlett at 1230. The notch train will only be operating on Tuesdays and Saturdays, starting June 27th at 1130am; with that late departure, I wonder if they will have a layover at Crawford's? No word on what their fall schedule will look like just yet.
 #1545723  by Jeff Smith

Regarding previous post: ConwayDailySun.com

The daily schedule starting Saturday will be Valley trains running at 10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., with boarding at 9:30 a.m. and 3 p.m., respectively.

The Bartlett train will depart North Conway at 1 p.m., with boarding at 12:30 p.m.

Cars will be run at about 30 percent capacity to allow for social distancing between groups of at least 6 feet, with assigned seating, said Swirk and Solomon.
In addition, one car on the Valley Train has been retrofitted for those with underlying conditions and special health concerns regarding the COVID-19 virus.

Master carpenter George Small has spent the spring working on the car by adding wooden compartments, similar to what one might find on The Orient Express, with plexiglass partitions that allow passengers in their compartments to look outside through windows that open to bring in the fresh air.
Another new change is rechristening the formerly called Notch Train as “The Mountaineer,” its traditional name for the joint Boston & Maine's Maine Central service through Crawford Notch.

A rededication of the Mountaineer under its new (old) name is set for June 27, with a special run at noon through Crawford Notch (boarding time, 11:30 a.m.) for a five-hour up-and-back trip, including a half-hour ribbon-cutting ceremony at the start.

The Mountaineer in summer will run Tuesdays and Saturdays at noon with an 11:30 a.m. boarding time for four-hour runs departing North Conway.

The layover time at Crawford Depot has been shortened to 35 minutes, Solomon said.
 #1545736  by b&m 1566

Coming from the same article, its worth mentioning that the railroad is expanding. Looks like they will be constructing a new building across the tracks from the freight house, in Conway.
In other new developments, the Conway Scenic got conditional approval from the Conway Planning Board on June 11 for a new 4,840-square-foot storage structure off West Main Street in Conway Village at the railroad’s southern terminus that will not only be used to house historic railroad equipment during the winter, but will also be used to store equipment for special events that the tourist railroad plans to bring to that end of town.
Edit: I had heard rumors of the development but I thought they were going after the building that exist west of the tracks, in between North Rd and Haven Ln. I guess that property has been sitting empty for some time now.
 #1548025  by CSRR573

The town just recently tore down the old fire station next to the depot. renderings for the new station show a quite impressive building. interesting to see how it fits in the footprint of the old station. not much room between the RR and country club

https://www.conwaydailysun.com/news/loc ... 07807.html

https://www.conwaydailysun.com/news/loc ... 0063b.html