Railroad Forums 

• NJT 2030 Stategic Plan and 5-year capital plan

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1545044  by njtmnrrbuff

There are a lot of great plans in there but some really struck my mind that would lead to some good benefits, if not many.
1. Installing a third track on the Main & Bergen County Line from WC Interlocking, just north(railroad west) of Waldwick Station to Suffern. I think that this is a great idea. This would help provide good flexibility with the combination of local and express trains that use the M&BCL north of Ridgewood. Perhaps, the rush hour trains that end at Waldwick would be able to continue onto Suffern. This third track would help when the MTA decides to either add more sidings on the Pt. Jervis Line between Sloatsburg and Moodna Viaduct or continuously double track that stretch of the track which would lead to a substantial increase in the MTA funded trains continuing north(railroad west of Suffern) to probably either Salisbury Mills-Cornwall or Middletown-Town of Walkill. It would be great to erect high level platforms at all of the stations between Ho-Ho-Kus and Suffern. I know that Ho-Ho-Kus is partly on a curve.
2. Though up to Conrail's Shared Assets, this project would benefit NJT a lot-adding a third track along the Lehigh Line between CP Newark and Aldene Interlocking. I know that the plan possibly mentions a fourth track but the fourth track may be a bit much. Nevertheless, having at least three tracks would provide flexibility for NJT trains running on the portion of the Lehigh Line between CP Newark and Aldene.
3. Building a brand new interlocking on the MOBO between Cedar and Glen. This would help mitigate delays on the MOBO through Montclair. Pre-COVID times, I have had to experience multiple delays when a train is stopped for some reason on what is usually the eastbound track. In fact, I live in Montclair and think maybe putting the interlocking somewhere between Walnut St and Upper Montclair Stations would be best.
3. M&E Millburn project-extending track three to serve Millburn Station and then have it end just west of that station. This is a good idea as it would allow an express train to overtake a local train that is stopped on track 3 at Millburn Station. Adding high level platforms at Millburn Station is a must and honestly, I think all, if not, most of the stations on the M&E should be full length high level platforms. Btw, it would be great to have the third track extended from Millburn all the way to Summit but I don't think there is much room west of Millburn Station to do that, given that the right of way is
4. The brand new M&E Bridge between NWK and Harrison-it's time to replace the original one with a more state of the art bridge for three tracks. This would help provide some additional flexibility on the core stretch of the M&E, located between Swift Interlocking and Roseville. Hopefully NJT is seriously thinking about possibly extending the three tracks east of the proposed Passaic River bridge to Harrison Interlocking.
5. The Hoboken Terminal project looks great-those future six tracks with high level platforms look like a great idea. It would be nice if more tracks at Hoboken Terminal could get high level platforms. The days of NJT Low Level Comet Is have been long gone.
 #1545071  by Hawaiitiki

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:00 am https://njtplans.com/

This came across the news wires, so I took a quick look. Lots of expansion on the rail side.

I guess groundhog day comes every ten years in the Garden State. I remember arguing about this one a decade ago...god I´m old. Here we go again

https://www.nj-arp.org/Assets/miscellan ... %20map.pdf
 #1545077  by Dcell

Some projects don't show up on either list -- west trenton adding of second track for passenger service, Lackawanna Cutoff installation of rails from Andover to The PA border, etc... are these projects dead or shelved?
 #1545098  by njtmnrrbuff

Toward the end of the strategic plan, West Trenton is mentioned but I'm not sure if that's a very key project in the next 10 years. While it would be great to have trains serving West Trenton, Hopewell, Belle Mead, and Hillsborough, many people living in those towns will probably prefer to drive over to the NEC since the route is faster. I also don't think that you will have a person traveling from PHL to NYP by way of West Trenton as that would take a very long time over taking Septa to TRE and then NJT from there. Even taking NJT to TRE and then Septa to PHL entirely on the NEC still takes time and for many people, it's either Amtrak all the way or bus. Even if the West Trenton Line were to ever be restored, don't be surprised if the trains run during the week and during rush hours. Remember that CSX runs many of its trains along the right of way that runs through Ewing and Hillsborough.

To be honest, before any brand new commuter rail routes get built, capacity must be worked on closer to NYC-Gateway. The brand new tunnels must be built while the original ones must be rehabilitated. The brand new Portal Bridge must be built as well. Lastly, the entire NEC needs to be a four track rr between the North River Tunnels as much as possible southward. This would help NJT be able to run more express trains from outlying stations. I know that Andover is supposed to happen sometime in the next five years. That's a start for restoring part of the cutoff. It would be even better for the trains to run as far as at least E. Stroudsburg, PA.
 #1545129  by Regardie

There's a lot of documents to digest. There are plans for upgraded ADA compliant platforms throughout the system, replacing lots of 100 year old drawbridges, replacing bridges over the tracks, replacing bridges over roadways, Jersey Ave eastbound with a flyover from a new track and maintenance yard. RVL flyover at Hunter makes the 5 year plan with a drawing dated 2011. Dock flyover for westbound from Hoboken to NEC is fairly new, April of 2019. Lots of expanded platforms on the NEC to handle 12 car trainsets. Oh, and a battery powered engine that could recharge under the wire and then continue on battery down the NJCL.

Ambitious plans, but at least there are now plans that they can then ignore or screw up down the line.
 #1545139  by Hawaiitiki

Regardie wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:13 am Oh, and a battery powered engine that could recharge under the wire and then continue on battery down the NJCL.
O dear. More experimental equiment instead of just electrifying, using proven and increasingly cheaper technology, 20 miles of track that could probably be done in a year.
 #1545143  by njtmnrrbuff

[quote="Regardie"]There's a lot of documents to digest. There are plans for upgraded ADA compliant platforms throughout the system, replacing lots of 100 year old drawbridges, replacing bridges over the tracks, replacing bridges over roadways, Jersey Ave eastbound with a flyover from a new track and maintenance yard. RVL flyover at Hunter makes the 5 year plan with a drawing dated 2011. Dock flyover for westbound from Hoboken to NEC is fairly new, April of 2019. Lots of expanded platforms on the NEC to handle 12 car trainsets. Oh, and a battery powered engine that could recharge under the wire and then continue on battery down the NJCL.

Ambitious plans, but at least there are now plans that they can then ignore or screw up down the line.[/quote]

The drawbridges probably need to be replaced. Lyndhurst Draw on the Main Line not only should be replaced but it should have a second track. I agree that more stations on NJT should get ADA compliant platforms. The stations in Montclair can definately use high level platforms. For years since the Montclair Connection started, having low level platforms at many of the stations doesn't help with the dwell times. I know that the platforms needed to be low level in Montclair, Glen Ridge, and Bloomfield since the low level Comet Is were still running in revenue service. I think during the time of the mid-2000s, the low level Comet Is were starting to get phased out slowly but surely. Many of the low level Is remaining were often the only ones in trainsets with high level Comet Is. Anyway, I would like to see high level platforms built at the stations that are presently low level on the electrified stretch of the MOBO. Had this happened years ago, the dwell time of trains would have been reduced greatly. Those long push pull ALP consists and low level platforms at stations that are a light rail distance apart from each other don't mix. ALP46 and ALP45 consists have pretty good acceleration with 8 or 9 car trains but it's not as good as an MU. When the Multilevel MUs enter revenue service, I hope that many of them are assigned to run on the electric trains heading to MSU as well as on the M&E where the stops are very close to each other. More high level platforms should be built on the M&E as well.

Jersey Ave Station in New Brunswick needs high level platforms on both sides. It should have been like that since the start. It would not only saffice as a good park n ride lot. It would also help those people who live in the south end of New Brunswick since they can just walk to that station, rather than having to drive downtown.
 #1545171  by cle

Is North Brunswick not happening then? Wasn't that with a fly-over/loop provided?

The Hoboken to NEC piece is interesting. I wonder if growth on the RVL/NC is likely to be from Hoboken, or maybe the NEC, with some more directs on the RVL, for instance?
 #1545182  by njtmnrrbuff

Yes, North Brunswick is definately happening. Construction of the brand new station is in progress right now.

It would be great to have more of those RVL trains continuing to Hoboken, especially bringing back weekend service to there. Is the demand there for weekend service to be reinstated to HOB?

I just want to bring this up about the current situation of the Main & Bergen County Line between WC Interlocking and Suffern. During the rush hour going toward Hoboken and NYC, Mahwah, Ramsey Main Street, and Allendale see trains stopping there twice an hour while returning during the pm rush hour, it's the same pretty much. Even the service to Ho-Ho-Kus and Waldwick can be improved a little. If the third track ever gets built from WC Interlocking to Suffern, then extending the Waldwick turns to Suffern would be great.

More NY Direct service on the RVL is a must but I don't think it will happen until Gateway gets built or even after the existing tunnels get rehabilitated.
 #1545189  by R36 Combine Coach

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:13 am The drawbridges probably need to be replaced. Lyndhurst Draw on the Main Line not only should be replaced but it should have a second track.
Probably Upper Hack, a single track lift span, not Lyndhurst Draw at Passaic River. The simplest idea would be do the same as the Delaware Memorial Bridge: build an identical twin span next to the current bridge. Would be a miniature replica of the CRRNJ's Bay Bridge twin span.
 #1545198  by njtmnrrbuff

[quote="R36 Combine Coach"][quote=njt/mnrrbuff post_id=1545143 time=1591802000 user_id=2821]
The drawbridges probably need to be replaced. Lyndhurst Draw on the Main Line not only should be replaced but it should have a second track.[/quote]Probably Upper Hack, a single track lift span, not Lyndhurst Draw at Passaic River. The simplest idea would be do the same as the Delaware Memorial Bridge: build an identical twin span next to the current bridge. Would be a miniature replica of the CRRNJ's Bay Bridge twin span.[/quote]

I think that idea should be applied to the brand new Raritan River Drawbridge of the Coastline as a way for NJT to triple track the Coastline to either South Amboy or Aberdeen-Matawan so that way, more express service could operate. Back to Upper Hack(not sure if that's the name of the drawbridge)-the fact that this new bridge would be double track would certainly help with extra capacity on the Main Line, especially when and if the Pt. Jervis Line track capacity projects get built as well as the third track on the Main & Bergen County Line between WC Interlocking and Suffern. I think during the rush hour, the Main Line service can be improved. There are almost 30 minute gaps in service at the stations from Glen Rock Main Line to Kingsland during the rush hour in the am rush going in and then coming out during the pm rush.
 #1545207  by R36 Combine Coach

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:49 pm Back to Upper Hack(not sure if that's the name of the drawbridge)-the fact that this new bridge would be double track would certainly help with extra capacity on the Main Line, especially when and if the Pt. Jervis Line track capacity projects get built as well as the third track on the Main & Bergen County Line between WC Interlocking and Suffern.
Most Port Jervis joint NJT-MNCR through trains operate via Bergen County, though since the Main Line was widened to two tracks in Paterson in 2002, some trains can and do operate via Main Line.
 #1545232  by njtmnrrbuff

I don't know the exact number of Pt. Jervis Line trains that get routed by which line below Ridgewood but it seems like it's probably almost half. Whatever route that the PJ Line train takes depends on whether if a Main or Bergen County Line train departs HOB and SEC that is heading in the same direction shortly before or after the Pt. Jervis Line train. I believe that NJT prefers to keep the Pt. Jervis Line trains on the Bergen County Line given the fact that the speed limit is 70 while on the Main Line, it's 60. Of course, if any Suffern or Waldwick local trains are cancelled and those are in slots that are only a few minutes before a westbound Pt. Jervis Line train, then we probably won't know until the very last second.