Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1544025  by steamchaser

A couple years ago I was on the notch train and a couple got on at Fabyan. They made an announcement and congratulated the couple, they had been on their honeymoon at the Mount Washington Hotel. They had arranged to take the train to Fabyan, get a shuttle to and from the hotel, spent a few days up there and came back on the train. I thought that was wonderful and would love to do that with my much better half sometime. I wonder how often they get requests like that? Obviously they and the hotel were accommodating. On a different note, does anyone know if the Notch Train on the Sunday of Labor Day Weekend will be steam powered again? I sent an email to CSR but didn't get a reply. I guess everything is up in the air till they're able to operate again.
 #1544062  by CSRR573

steamchaser wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:27 pm On a different note, does anyone know if the Notch Train on the Sunday of Labor Day Weekend will be steam powered again? I sent an email to CSR but didn't get a reply. I guess everything is up in the air till they're able to operate again.
I would assume so, thats technically the old explore the line end to end saturday railfans day train now that Railfans is on Labor day. Without running to Whitefield anymore they still got to do something special/ out of the norm
 #1544064  by NHV 669

Arborwayfan,

I believe it was select times in 2018, and stops relating to trips on the Valley train to Bartlett last year, specifically Sundays I think. So yes, the Conway only departure for the train itself would still be in effect. I remember something about fireworks trains from AMV to N. Conway/Conway, could be wrong.

Couldn't find anything on the current site either, but it's definitely occurred.
 #1544102  by b&m 1566

The only Fireworks train I'm aware of, are for the 4th of July (Fire Cracker Express trains), where the railroad allows people to park on their property down in Conway. The regular Valley Train picks them up during the day along with 1 or 2 RDC extras, when the regular Valley Train is on the Bartlett leg. After the Fireworks, everyone is brought back to Conway, on one train.
 #1544157  by gokeefe

With regards to Amtrak going to North Conway it's worth remembering that the Downeaster is paid for using funds from the State of Maine. Any seasonal extensions will serve Maine and not New Hampshire.

If New Hampshire wanted to fund such a service on their own that's definitely a possibility they could pursue but it would require a lot of work to bring those tracks up to standards that would be acceptable to Amtrak.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1544294  by Hux

New Hampshire won’t fund anything Downeaster....thus it would be Mountain Division (with a little sprucing up) to North Conway. ;)
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat May 30, 2020 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1544607  by shadyjay

Rockingham Racer wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:34 pm Makes perfect sense. I didn't even know one existed.
Of note, the MEC "station" is a platform and a passing siding. While it does fulfill the timetable requirements of a station, it doesn't fulfill the public's eye as a station (building, tickets, etc). It has a parking area as well, and a station sign of "Kearsarge". I have boarded trains from here before, primarily during Railfan Weekend.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.0479428 ... 312!8i6656

In other news, looks like Brian has brought the Wheel Report back:
https://www.conwayscenic.com/blog/
 #1545168  by steam1246

Interesting that the recent CSRX story in TRAINS and the new CSRX Wheel Report ignore an important issue like emergency bridge repair work on the Mountain Division! Go to the New Hampshire DOT budget for 2020-21 and you will find that NH has budgeted nearly $3 million in capital funding (state money) for emergency projects on state-owned rail properties--including 20 bridges on the Mountain Division. In requesting the emergency funding, NHDOT told the legislature about the sorry condition of state-owned rail properties--and in the case of 41 bridges around NH, if emergency repairs are made quickly, the FRA will condemn the bridges and effectively shut down active rail lines! Track work on sections of the White Mountain Branch that are currently getting tie replacement/surfacing work haven't had major maintenance work in 45 years; most of the tie being replaced are over 50 years old, with some over 60! When railfans worry about whether #7470 will run through the Notch for Railfans Weekend or why CSRX changed its schedule this year, they really should be concerned about infastructure issues and the outcome of the current court action against David Swirk and Profile Mountain Holdings--both of which don't even deserve a mention here!
 #1545192  by b&m 1566

Here's the link to show what steam1246 is referencing (see pages 21-24). A lot of work needs to be done, especially to the Girders but thankfully the state is getting it done.

As for the Lawsuit against David Swirk, that's been brought up, in the Grafton & Upton thread.
 #1545231  by bostontrainguy

I forget. Why was the MEC rebuilt through there in the first place? I know the State of NH doesn't throw money around for such things especially since there was no rail service through there at the time. Lot's of money spent on an unused line.