Railroad Forums 

• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1543244  by Tadman

Never thought I'd see the day where amfleet/affiliated cars were run by tourist operations.

I learned a lesson last summer: open-window heavyweights are great for such operations. The "first class" operations in domes and lighweights are less attractive when one has to share the car with a full load of passengers.

I bought the double-cost ($36 v 15?) premium tickets on a tourist pike for a 90 minute dome car ride. We were all squeezed in, 100% capacity. It wasn't worth the free beer. After 25 minutes I found my way back to a dowdy green pullman that was older than John Perkowski and I enjoyed riding with an open window and only a few other passengers.
 #1543261  by Arborwayfan

Tadman, I agree with you on more and more things every day!

The Royal Gorge Route scenic train bought ex-via coaches maybe 25-30 years ago and cut the roofs and upper walls off some of them. Now they have some dome cars but I can't quite see why anyone would pay all that extra for a dome at 10 mph when they could just sit on a bench outside and see everything. The ex Via coaches had pretty big windows but still the view was a lot better outside, and there was a nice breeze.
 #1543396  by Tadman

I've always thought the best ride was at an open window. Alaska lets you do so, and it's amazing. I started my day in the dome in the pic and ended standing in the vestibule.

That said, Via will not let you even get near a door, there are bars in the vestibules that only permit one to walk straight through. The trailing park car is really a great place to cross the rockies.

#1543421  by Pensyfan19

This is why we need dome cars back on Amtrak's LD trains, especially if Amtrak decides to go single level for their western LD equipment to replace the superliners. The superliner domes are okay, but I personally prefer the view from the dome shown from Alaska or Ocean View (which I even went on a few years before its retirement). Aren't some of the dome cars, such as the B&O's Moonlight Dome, low enough to meet clearance on the NEC too, so this way they (or something new like them) can be used on eastern LD trains as well?
 #1543443  by CarterB

Domes out west, sure. But on NEC nothing to see anyway but slums, factories, smog, and decay.
Even when the IC "borrowed" NP domes, all you got to see was miles of flat farmland in Illinois and nightime thru the South.
On the City of Miami, basically the same thing, not much to look at.
 #1543448  by John_Perkowski

Admin note

This is a photo or “I saw” thread, not a policy thread.

Please move design aspects to the appropriate thread.
 #1543499  by jhdeasy

Pensyfan19 wrote: Aren't some of the dome cars, such as the B&O's Moonlight Dome, low enough to meet clearance on the NEC too, so this way they (or something new like them) can be used on eastern LD trains as well?
About 20 years ago, the former B&O MOONLIGHT DOME did operate on Amtrak’s Three Rivers from Chicago to Harrisburg to Philadelphia, and then on the Carolinian from Philadelphia to Washington to Charlotte. 110 MPH under energized catenary, with the dome occupied. However, this car will not clear thru the NYP area (Hudson River tunnels, Penn Station and East River tunnels. MOONLIGHT DOME has a lower profile than the standard Budd dome. Sister cars STARLIGHT DOME and SUNLIGHT DOME are not certified to operate on Amtrak.

AAPRCO’s 2002 convention special train (western section) did operate with various dome cars on the NEC between Bayview Yard and Perryville.
 #1543517  by J.D. Lang

I remember riding in a dome car from Pittsburg to Washington on what I think was the Capitol Limited in the late 1970's. When we were approaching the electrified NEC we were told to vacate the dome car because of the tight clearances.
 #1543534  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Lang, even with their "half height" Domes, the B&O required passengers to "bail out" when the WTC caternary was approached.

Silver Spring is when they started the process.

The UP also did not allow Domes to be occupied from about 10P to 6A, lest they become.......(drive in theatres).
 #1543589  by jhdeasy

Tadman wrote:Amtrak 507 is on the far track at NOUPT with NP dome, Pacific Union and Babbling Brook. All Webb cars. No idea where they're going although money has it headed for NYP tomorrow.
If the dome is going along for the trip, then their routing is probably 58 to CHI, followed by 48 to ALB.

Citing a “perfect storm” of Corona virus pandemic, Amtrak’s increased insurance requirements for special trains and the number of car owner members willing to participate, AAPRCO has cancelled the Amtrak special train to/from their 2020 convention at Burlington VT. The special train will operate only on the Vermont Rail System (Rutland to Burlington and return with a side trip to Hoosick). Participating cars will travel to/from Rutland on the Ethan Allen Express. AAPRCO is still attempting (so far unsuccessfully) to persuade Amtrak to allow dome cars (and cars that don’t want to pass thru NYP - Sunnyside Yard) to be switched off/on the Ethan Allen Express at ALB. Amtrak pleads for more PV revenue, but they appear unwilling to relax their own prohibition on switching cars on/off the Ethan Allen Express at ALB, just for this convention.