Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1542986  by Matt Johnson

Acela150 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:50 pm
Keep in mind that the Raceway is between Trenton and New Brunswick. A span of about 25 miles. But, the constant tension overhead isn't anywhere near that length.
True, due to cost overruns they went with upgraded/improved variable tension hangars from roughly Jersey Ave to Monmouth Junction and then just south of Princeton Junction to Trenton. The constant tension portion runs from Monmouth Junction to somewhere south of Princeton Junction.
Testing certification speeds are 5 MPH above the proposed limit, AFAIK. Could be wrong. But I highly doubt that any Alstom equipment will get anywhere near 180 during testings. There is a curve along the Raceway that must be taken at 130 MPH, per the FRA mandated speed limit for curves.
Acela I got up to 165+ through Princeton Junction during testing. As for the 130 curve limit, I believe that was due to truck hunting or some stability issue with the Acela I coaches. Presumably the lighter Acela II will have better tracking characteristics.
 #1543012  by west point

What I would like to know is what speed increments does the Ax-2s have to be tested at ? example it might operate at 120 and 130 OK but have problems at 125 ? Then you have to test on various track configurations both straight and various curve numbers. Various speeds over switches up to MAS. How many degrees numbers will it have to be tested ? 0 , 0.2, 0.4 …...1.6 etc ? Then testing on various track smoothness ? It gets complicated in a hurry.