Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1543203  by Pensyfan19

Did the LIRR ever have through coaches and/or sleepers to connecting trains going elsewhere in the country? My guess is that there might have been a through coach from Montauk to be connected at Penn to DC, but I'm not sure about this.
 #1543213  by tomdoyle409

Yes, I believe that there was seasonal through service from Pittsburgh, and perhaps other points on the PRR to the East End of Long Island, through the 1920’s.

A more definitive source than me, will be NYANDW’s monthly updates to his website, which he generally posts in the first few days of each new month. I am certain that I had come across the information that you are seeking, within the past six months or so.
 #1543250  by nyandw

tomdoyle409 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:36 amYes, I believe that there was seasonal through service from Pittsburgh, and perhaps other points on the PRR to the East End of Long Island, through the 1920’s.A more definitive source than me, will be NYANDW’s monthly updates to his website, which he generally posts in the first few days of each new month. I am certain that I had come across the information that you are seeking, within the past six months or so.
Yes, August update! :-) I have the Wash D.C. to Montauk and Pittsburgh to Montauk.
 #1543297  by Pensyfan19

How would they attach the connecting coach at Penn? Would the LIRR uncouple the throughway coach at the end of the train and then a PRR NY to DC local backs up to it?
 #1543370  by Backshophoss

Believe PRR kept a pair of B class switcher motor at NY Penn to switch thru cars to their LIRR connection
Believe the Pittsburgh-Montauk train did a power swap at NY Penn and Jamaica(GG-1 to DD-1 to Steam)
 #1544396  by tomdoyle409

Backshophoss wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:13 pm Believe PRR kept a pair of B class switcher motor at NY Penn to switch thru cars to their LIRR connection
Believe the Pittsburgh-Montauk train did a power swap at NY Penn and Jamaica(GG-1 to DD-1 to Steam)
The GG-1’s did not come on line until the mid-30’s, when the electrification of the NYP - WAS route was competed. Prior to that, I believe that there was a transfer to electric from steam at Manhattan Transfer, north of Newark, NJ. Perhaps this is where the train would have been powered by a B class switcher for the short hop into NYP.
 #1544446  by Backshophoss

Would have Been a DD-1 from Manhattan Transfer station in NJ to Jamaica on LIRR
The 3rd rail was still active to that station in NJ.
PRR class B was a 4 wheeled Boxcab switcher motor ,ran on the wire not 3rd rail..