Railroad Forums 

• Official New England Southern Thread (NEGS)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1541997  by Narrowgauger

Oh im so sorry for using the term "nonsense" but im sure you would feel better if I said [redacted] People have been chastised for reveling secret news and even thrown off sites. Your description that rail fans babble or speculate shows exactly what type of person you are. For all you know I may be a Wolfson and know alot more than you think.
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri May 08, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: no profanity, please
 #1542006  by NHV 669

You mean Wulfson? :wink:

Babble and speculation are literally prerequisites of being a rail fan, but it's how, where, and to whom you spread such info that will get you into trouble.

You posted a message that was hearsay itself, and was 50% false out of the gate, so I don't understand why you're mad at Steam for pointing that out.
 #1542007  by Narrowgauger

I suppose Im not fond of people insulting and acting like railfans are foolish. That holier than thou attitude crawls up my ass. I asked a very simple question and that was that. I dont need his smartass comments. And I never said it was hearsay ( came from someone in the know) I was just looking for confirmation. You know, so I wasnt babbling or speculating. And just what 50% was false?
 #1542023  by b&m 1566

Narrowgauger, check your inbox, I sent you a private message yesterday in regards to your post.
 #1542042  by MEC407

Moderator Note:

Watch the language, please, and let's keep the discussion civil and friendly. This isn't Facebook; we try to hold ourselves to a higher standard here.
 #1542057  by thebigham

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... __tn__=K-R

VERMONT RAIL SYSTEM EXPANDING IN NEW HAMPSHIRE WITH ACQUISITION OF NEGS

Vermont Rail System announced today that, pending state and federal regulatory approvals, it has entered into an agreement with New England Southern Railroad of Canterbury NH to purchase certain assets and operating rights in connection with railroad freight operations in New Hampshire. “VRS has a 55 year tradition of helping local businesses with efficient and reliable freight service” said Selden Houghton, President, “and we are excited at this opportunity to grow and expand our business.”

VRS operates five shortlines --one in New York, and four in Vermont, along with their locomotive and car shop facility in North Walpole, NH. The late Jay Wulfson founded the Vermont Railway in 1964, the first of the five VRS shortlines. NES is a thirty-nine year old shortline founded by Peter Dearness, and is located in the south-central part of NH, with base of operations from the Canterbury Yard, ten miles north of Concord. The acquisition is subject to NH Department of Transportation (DOT) approval, along with necessary Federal Surface Transportation Board (STB) filings, and a closing is anticipated for June 30, 2020.

NES freight operation over the State-owned White Mountain Branch, between Concord and Lincoln, will continue with no immediate changes in the service levels, but VRS will build on the development of new traffic that has been underway since late 2018. VRS, headed by CEO David Wulfson, has the depth and experience with the commodity base that Dearness has been pursuing. VRS congratulates Peter Dearness on a long and successful railroad career that started in 1975, and wishes him the best in his retirement.

Rails & Ports will detail the additional rights over PAR and the future traffic growth.
 #1542058  by NHV 669

Narrowgauger wrote: I suppose Im not fond of people insulting and acting like railfans are foolish. That holier than though attitude...
I don't see where he implied that anywhere, but you chose to take offense anyway. As MEC said, this isn't Facebook, why are we trying to gaslight folks over trivial comments on a railfan forum?

I've seen enough in the last 60 days, let alone the last year, on chases on multiple RRs far and local where folks had no common courtesy when it came to simple things like staying off private property, driving like animals on the roads to catch a 10-20 mph train, or crowding dozens of people to get the same shot from the same angle.

So yes, there are foolish railfans, and plenty of them. That equally applies to folks on FB groups who "know everything" to the point of trying to argue with actual/former employees on a given topic, or people who feel they're entitled to know everything going on.

I never said it was hearsay ( came from someone in the know) I was just looking for confirmation. You know, so I wasnt babbling or speculating. And just what 50% was false?
I did, because until things happen or press releases are issued, only the people who are involved with what's going on will have the true answer. Of course the above post clarifies such.

You posed the question looking for answers on a forum that is more or less devoid of active VRS personnel. Unless I'm mistakenly reading that statement as one line item, the newly arriving leasers have zero to do with acquiring NEGS or a new customer on that line.

Of course time will tell what happens, VRS has far more resources than Mr. Dearness did, and the man can finally enjoy a well-deserved retirement.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Fri May 08, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1542063  by Narrowgauger

Thanks but I have my answer..........

VERMONT RAIL SYSTEM EXPANDING IN NEW HAMPSHIRE WITH ACQUISITION OF NEGS

Vermont Rail System announced today that, pending state and federal regulatory approvals, it has entered into an agreement with New England Southern Railroad of Canterbury NH to purchase certain assets and operating rights in connection with railroad freight operations in New Hampshire. “VRS has a 55 year tradition of helping local businesses with efficient and reliable freight service” said Selden Houghton, President, “and we are excited at this opportunity to grow and expand our business.”

VRS operates five shortlines --one in New York, and four in Vermont, along with their locomotive and car shop facility in North Walpole, NH. The late Jay Wulfson founded the Vermont Railway in 1964, the first of the five VRS shortlines. NES is a thirty-nine year old shortline founded by Peter Dearness, and is located in the south-central part of NH, with base of operations from the Canterbury Yard, ten miles north of Concord. The acquisition is subject to NH Department of Transportation (DOT) approval, along with necessary Federal Surface Transportation Board (STB) filings, and a closing is anticipated for June 30, 2020.

NES freight operation over the State-owned White Mountain Branch, between Concord and Lincoln, will continue with no immediate changes in the service levels, but VRS will build on the development of new traffic that has been underway since late 2018. VRS, headed by CEO David Wulfson, has the depth and experience with the commodity base that Dearness has been pursuing. VRS congratulates Peter Dearness on a long and successful railroad career that started in 1975, and wishes him the best in his retirement.

Rails & Ports will detail the additional rights over PAR and the future traffic growth.
 #1542067  by FatNoah

That's amazing news. I hope Mr. Dearness got a good price and credit for keeping that line alive as something other than as a connection for the Hobo RR.

My elementary school abutted the tracks in the Lakes Region, and I remember seeing 10+ car freights rolling through in the Goodwin RR days. One highlight I still remember is having to wait on my bus at a crossing for nearly 15 minutes while a delivery was made to a Blue Seal location.

I'm curious to see what additional freight possibilities exist for the line. I can't imagine VRS would buy it to get their hands on twice-yearly slurry move, rare military move, plus deliveries to Hobo RR.
 #1542072  by steam1246

Now that Vermont Rail System has issued a press release on acquisition of NEGS, perhaps "narrowgauger" and other rumormongers can accept the TRUTH--which is exactly what narrowgauger asked for. I feel that I'm owed an apology, but I don't expect one--unfortunately, that's not how irresponsible railfans react when they're proven wrong! I could report a LOT more about what's really going on, including the additional "news" that VRS says will be reported in Rails and Ports, but I refuse to subject my self to additional verbal abuse. Good luck to all of you who would rather believe rumors rather than the TRUTH.
 #1542097  by Narrowgauger

I knew all this months ago. I was just asking if anyone else heard this thats all. I will not discuss this with you any more. I am sorry however that you have some issues you need to deal with. There was nothing to prove wrong or right. A simple question if anyone had heard the same thing. If you wish to continue to act like a spoiled child we can do it via PM. Understand John?
 #1542150  by MRY

Wow. Having grown up a few blocks away from that line when several paper-related industries were still active on the northern end (Ashland paper mill, Ashland wood chipping operation, Lincoln paper mill) this is pretty interesting news. I don't suspect, however, that the new activity will be quite so far north. Is this related to the forum posts by a Mr. "Rockguy" last year? Maybe propane to the Lakes Region?
 #1542209  by Hux

Funny, I was thinking the same thing when I saw quarry mentioned. Then I thought, "hmmm, hope this is north of Laconia" to put an end to machinations by the Wow trail crowd.
Last edited by MEC407 on Sun May 10, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1542224  by MRY

For acreage large enough to support a new aggregates/sand operation shipping in volume by rail, one would have to go north of Meredith. There are 2 existing aggregate/sand operations on the line, both owned by Pike Industries, north of Tilton.