Railroad Forums 

• Plymouth & Lincoln Railroad (HOBO, Winnipesaukee Scenic)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1541320  by NHV 669

With no passengers to haul at the moment, 302 was sent down to pick up six loads of ties left by NEGS at Tilton.

Here's a shot of them approaching Laconia by Kevin Burkholder: https://www.railpictures.net/photo/734692/
 #1541335  by steam1246

Nice picture by Mr. Burkholder--but perhaps most importantly is what Kevin says in his photo caption: that the ties are part of a 12,000 order by NHDOT for reconstruction (i. e. tie replacement and resurfacing) on segments leased by the P&L "NOT regularly used by Winnepausaukee Scenic RR and Hobo RR tourist trains." Anybody know what the sudden NHDOT interest in "reconstructing" that particular trackage is?
 #1541605  by BandA

He must have updated the caption because it doesn't say that, it talks about the rail trail extension being stifled... It's a great picture and rail+trail looks much more interesting than just trail (unless you get a lung full of diesel exhaust, lol).
 #1541694  by FatNoah

steam1246 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:30 pm Nice picture by Mr. Burkholder--but perhaps most importantly is what Kevin says in his photo caption: that the ties are part of a 12,000 order by NHDOT for reconstruction (i. e. tie replacement and resurfacing) on segments leased by the P&L "NOT regularly used by Winnepausaukee Scenic RR and Hobo RR tourist trains." Anybody know what the sudden NHDOT interest in "reconstructing" that particular trackage is?
It looks like it's more for general health of the line, according to a budget request from last year: https://www.nh.gov/dot/media/documents/ ... 019_lr.pdf
Critical repair work and capital funds are requested to perform tie replacement on three (3) sections of
the state-owned Concord-Lincoln Railroad Line which is utilized under agreement by one freight railroad
operator (New England Southern Railroad) and one tourist excursion railroad (Plymouth & Lincoln
Railroad). These three sections are in the poorest condition and critically need tie replacement work.
Work will include purchasing material, hiring contractors, installation of ties, and project supervision.
The tie replacement work will include removing the old ties and properly disposing of them, installing
the new cross ties and tamping the track. The ties being replaced were installed prior to the 1970’s and
this will be the first major tie replacement completed on the line in more than 45 years.
 #1543253  by FatNoah

I never saw this posted, but it looks like the Alta study is available online: https://www.laconianh.gov/DocumentCente ... tober-2019

One of the most interesting things to me is that the study corridor extends from Franklin to Weirs Beach. The study does reference the WOW trail many times early on, so a casual reader might assume that all of the analysis applies only to the Lakeport to Weirs section of the Wow trail, but all of the analysis actually covers 11.1 miles of trail construction. When following the issue last fall, I assume the fuss was all about the Lakeport to Weirs segment.

Some fun things to note from the study about the differences between Rail To Trail vs. Rail With Trail:
  • Rails to Trail 700k to 800k more total trail users over 25 years than the Alternative B (Rails WITH Trail) option
  • Rails to Trail would add $12-$14 million more spending by out-of-towners than Rail With Trail and that spending would support creating 0-10 more jobs
  • They expect same level of train ridership for Rails to Trail and Rails WITH Trail option, adding 150k to 200k more riders over the 25 year period
The cost comparison was interesting. The Rails with Trail would cost $10-$13 million more to build and cost at least $1.3 million in economic loss, in addition to the uncalculated economic cost of effectively shutting down the Plymouth & Lincoln shops. They also estimated the costs of paved & unpaved for Rail with Trail but only unpaved for Rail to Trail.
 #1543323  by b&m 1566

Correct, a Blue Ribbon Committee was formed or is in the process of being formed. It will include one representative from the WOW Trail, the city, the railroad and Southdown Shores & Long Bay condo association. There's probably a few other parties involved that I'm not aware of.
Last edited by b&m 1566 on Thu May 21, 2020 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1543332  by FatNoah

Fat Noah, it's a dead issue...
I don't disagree at all. I'd just never seen the actual study and didn't realize it covered the entire corridor, not just the portion in Laconia. It's also interesting to see the study methodology for how they computed cost, usage, and benefits.
 #1549813  by b&m 1566

I boarded the Hobo Railroad for the first time ever this past week. The overall experience was good. I know the train ride is geared towards being a kids attraction, but feel there's a missed opportunity on the narrating, one that could make it educational. Maybe it's just the history buff in me but nothing was mentioned about the history of the line: when it was built and why, when passenger trains ended and where those stations use to be located. Any folklore or relevant history of the area would've been nice too. They did a good job introducing the crew and even narrated the history of the engine and passenger cars but that's where it ended.
I know it's not advertised as a scenic railroad but there were a handful areas where the trees gave way to some scenery along the river. I was able to point out to my wife how the line was relocated to make room for I93 and exit 30. Much to my surprise, you can still see the old alignment at both ends, where the new alignment joins back in with the original (another missed narrating point of interest).
Question about the Lafayette Dinner Train, how far south do they go before heading back?
 #1549853  by NHV 669

The website mentions them "travelling below a Christmas Tree Farm in Thornton".

Stone Dam Farm seems to be that location. My former roommates' father lived a hair north of there until a few years ago, and I recall witnessing the train pass south through there at least once while visiting. My guess is that they head back north somewhere south of there, but north of Campton.