Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1541200  by Bracdude181

As per a friend, we can expect either NS 5269 or 5634 today. 4452 was supposed to come down but it derailed on the Amboy Secondary earlier today.

A side note, 5634 is facing south so it might come down long hood forward...
 #1541205  by NJT4149

Permission on Church at 3:16 PM. NS 5634 SHF with 8 Woodhavens and a tank
 #1541206  by NJT4149

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:34 pm As per a friend, we can expect either NS 5269 or 5634 today. 4452 was supposed to come down but it derailed on the Amboy Secondary earlier today.

A side note, 5634 is facing south so it might come down long hood forward...
4452 did not derail this morning...
 #1541813  by Bracdude181

Looks like there might be plans for track work in farmingdale. Construction markings are on mainline and the switch that used to connect to the freehold industrial track. Two railroad crossings (Railroad Ave and Academy Street) spray painted as well. I can only assume this means one of three things.

1. The rumors I've been hearing about reconnecting the southern to the freehold industrial track are true and this is part of the work involved in doing that.

2. The switch and siding will be removed and the crossing directly after the switch will be paved over, and that the railroad crossing on Academy Street will be rebuilt.

3. Something entirely different that has almost nothing (if anything at all) to do with the southern.

Not sure about what y'all think, but personally I'm hoping for option 1 lol.
 #1541870  by RailsEast

There are signs posted for the milling and repaving of Main St later next week, but not sure if they'll replace the crossing as well. No further info at this time...
 #1541917  by CharlieL

Looks like option 2 as the rails north and west of railroad ave are also tagged. Was hoping for a spur over to yellowbrook rd. Probably related to the milling and paving work mentioned above.
 #1541924  by Bracdude181

I did some research into what all those markings meant and found an answer. Turns out the orange paint is likely being used to mark the presence of electric cables for a conduit or electric circuit. So I guess whatever work they have planned might involve something being done to the crossing circuits there. Whether that's the case or not remains to be seen...
 #1541949  by GSC

Any news on SA31? Need to get out of the house for a break, maybe chase a train.
 #1541955  by RailsEast

Gary...through Shrewsbury right now at 4:30 in the pm, Eatontown at 4:40 then probably hit the Auction at about 5:15-5:30. Should be CSX 4452 with NS 5269 and 9 cars. Of course, all times subject to change after Eatontown.....
 #1541960  by GSC

Great. Thanks for the info.
 #1542024  by GSC

Didn't make it to the auction to see it. Being cooped up with 4 grandkids makes "normal" things hard to do.

Hope all reading this are safe and healthy.
 #1542043  by Bracdude181

Quick update on the construction markings in farmingdale. While taking a closer look at what was spray painted, I found a marking that said "EPFLEX 120" and it was sprayed exactly at the point where the rails meet the pavement.

I did some research as to what EPFLEX means and this came up as a search result...

https://www.poly-corp.com/Rail/Railseal