Railroad Forums 

• COVID-19 Effects on SEPTA

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1540319  by bikentransit

2 observations:
1. It appears pilot trains are running on OOS lines. I stopped by Bala and Wissinoming stations this week, both tracks look in use.
2. This pandemic will have ramifications for months if not years to come for mass transit. Even with a phased in re-opening, many are going to try avoiding public transit for as long as possible. Still hard to tell how long that stigma will last. In any case, there won't be money for projects.
 #1540335  by MACTRAXX

BNT: You mean Wissahickon (Manayunk-Norristown Line) which is not far from Bala.
Wissinoming was on the Trenton Line between Tacony and Bridesburg has been
closed more than 20 years ago during the 90s.

Good to know pilot trains are being run on the Cynwyd and Manayunk-Norristown Line.

One of the biggest problems that transit systems are going to have is that mass transit
is NOT designed for "social distancing" - those that have a choice are most likely going
to "distance" themselves in their own vehicles instead of riding a train or bus. The low
of gasoline is only adding to the problem taking note to current record low oil prices.

Everyone: With the SEPTA Regional Rail system operating on a "Lifeline Schedule" with
four routes in service: MLV-LNS; ELW-FXC; AIR-WAR and TRE-CCP every 2/3 hours
on average using a limited amount of equipment - where is the bulk of the RRD fleet
being stored?

On the closed routes the two largest yards are at West Trenton and Doylestown
(in that order).
If they are any cars being stored on closed routes the concern is to prevent any types of vandalism.
That would go for stations on routes with no service and no one keeping watch...

With what looks like to be a surplus of equipment at least for the near future
depending on ridership returns to the RRD system here's a question to think about:

Does SEPTA actually need the CRRC bilevel car fleet at this time?

It may now end up being years off into the future before the CRRC cars
become a necessity with adequate amounts of other cars available.

MACTRAXX

#1540336  by mcgrath618

Everyone,

Since SEPTA is running such a barebones schedule, the Pennsylvania Northeastern has been running it's W230 train from Warminster to Lansdale in the daylight, usually reaching North Wales in between 3-4. Seeing this train in daylight (and under wire) is incredibly rare.
 #1540435  by GooStats

Two observations from Woodbourne:
-Pilot trains are still running. I saw two this week.
- SEPTA parking lots at Woodbourne and Langhorne are now blocked off, so no more sitting there to railfan.
 #1540437  by glennk419

mcgrath618 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:01 am Everyone,

Since SEPTA is running such a barebones schedule, the Pennsylvania Northeastern has been running it's W230 train from Warminster to Lansdale in the daylight, usually reaching North Wales in between 3-4. Seeing this train in daylight (and under wire) is incredibly rare.
They did a spaghetti run today. I'm three blocks from Roslyn station and definitely recognized the horns.
 #1540466  by rcthompson04

What are they running as pilot trains? It still looks like SEPTA is running the Silverliner IVs for service. I would presume you want to keep all the rolling stock running occasionally so that the Silverliner Vs are probably doing pilot trains with an occasional ACS-64 doing the same.
 #1540491  by GooStats

Both pilot trains that I saw on the West Trenton Line were Silverliner V's.
 #1540500  by CNJGeep

rcthompson04 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:57 am What are they running as pilot trains? It still looks like SEPTA is running the Silverliner IVs for service. I would presume you want to keep all the rolling stock running occasionally so that the Silverliner Vs are probably doing pilot trains with an occasional ACS-64 doing the same.
No push pulls for the duration, unless they're moving them somewhere else
 #1540666  by CNJGeep

deere3020 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:46 pm https://youtu.be/T-VacGZ19eI

At 11:45 appears to be a silver liner IV heading on the Doylestown branch towards Doylestown.
Correct. Trains are still going to Doylestown to swap crews. In fact, that was my train in the clip you linked to.
 #1540668  by MACTRAXX

D: Good PNER video about running freight south of Lansdale during daytime hours.

CNJ: Is the Doylestown Yard in regular use on the Lifeline Schedule?
Are all the Lansdale turns continuing on to Doylestown?
With 1 hour 15 minutes scheduled there seems to be enough time to
continue north to DYL and then return in time for the southbound run.
Are there crews cleaning RRD trains between runs at terminals?
MACTRAXX
 #1540685  by glennk419

Great video. That would certainly explain the horns that I heard on the 22nd.
 #1540692  by CNJGeep

MACTRAXX wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:54 pm CNJ: Is the Doylestown Yard in regular use on the Lifeline Schedule?
Are all the Lansdale turns continuing on to Doylestown?
With 1 hour 15 minutes scheduled there seems to be enough time to
continue north to DYL and then return in time for the southbound run.
Are there crews cleaning RRD trains between runs at terminals?
MACTRAXX
No, two starts and they are on the main.
Not every train goes through but most do since the crew sign up is still at Doylestown. If there's no crew to deliver in either direction, the spin is at Lansdale.
As for cleaning, not at Doylestown, at least when I was there Wednesday. I only worked up there one day. We hit someone at Ambler on the way back, so that put an end to my week at Doylestown. They do have people cleaning cab areas at Suburban when crews are relieved.
 #1540848  by rcthompson04

A few posts back someone asked if the CRRC are needed in light of a long term ridership drop. I would say yes for a few reasons. First, if you are going to have good social distancing on trains when things start coming back, you are going to need a lot more equipment even at reduced levels. Second, SEPTA has the locomotives already. It would be better off taking the CRRC cars and replace some of the Silverliner IVs with them.