Railroad Forums 

• Naugatuck Intermodal Yard - Pan Am Southern PAS / Poland Spring

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1487376  by Mikejf

Rumford loading station is not near the proposed bottling plant. A whole new pipe line would be needed for that.

Interesting that the article states there are other sites being looked at, even when Fryeburg turned them away supposedly.
 #1487421  by gokeefe

Mikejf wrote:Interesting that the article states there are other sites being looked at, even when Fryeburg turned them away supposedly.
Agreed. Rumford looks to be in pretty good shape to me. More on that later ...
 #1540106  by Jeff Smith

I haven't seen any news in a while, but I thought I'd upload the sat image from the article.
Attachments:
NEWS_TransportationHubZoom.jpg
NEWS_TransportationHubZoom.jpg (213.97 KiB) Viewed 1811 times
 #1540115  by gokeefe

Last news was in September 2019 on acquisition. They had a lot of environmental engineering they needed to do at that time. I would guess that has been underway for some time now. Poland Spring has had a tremendous amount of business lately. I would guess that this has had a positive benefit to this project.
 #1540133  by gokeefe

Yes for sure. It has been made quite clear that Poland Spring is not happy with the 800 trucks a day that they dispatch to their New York City market. Assuming that's all 53 foot trailers that would be 42,400 feet of full size highway trailers. In 40 foot units that adds up to 1,060 with some additional adjustments required for height of course. These would be true "monstah" trains. Even once a day at 100+ containers would be a huge increase on traffic for Pan Am.
 #1540180  by Jeff Smith

Wonder if there's space down there, and would PAS/PAR/NS have to also use Waterbury yard for staging. Then there's the Terryville tunnel, and improvements to the line between Berlin and Waterbury MNRR division post. I could see a lot of night running to avoid interference, even with the new passing sidings.
 #1540238  by gokeefe

Pan Am seems very confident they could handle a lot of volume. 100 cars a day worth? I don't know but they clearly weren't aiming to make this small. I would say based on the land parcels we've been talking about it doesn't seem out of the question ...
 #1540265  by TomNelligan

Jeff Smith wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:34 am Then there's the Terryville tunnel,
I don't know exactly what the clearance in Terryville Tunnel is, but it was part of the New Haven's traditional routing for high/wide loads that had to bypass the Shore Line, so it's not a tight squeeze. It was built as a double track tunnel so running a single track down the middle gives you more headroom.
Last edited by TomNelligan on Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1540267  by J.D. Lang

The Terryville tunnel wouldn't be an issue because anything coming down from Maine would have to be single stacked anyway. I think one of the key holdups is remediation of the site its self. When I worked for Penn Central in the early 70's I worked the Naugatuck job many times (NX-15) and it was a nasty area with a lot of toxic chemicals all around. I haven't heard anything in the local newspapers in quite a while about this venture, right now the DEEP has committed quite a bit of money in the Waterbury area to mitigate former factory sites with in that cities neighborhoods. I would like to see this happen though. I would think that the if site was paved over with proper drainage it would be better off than the way it all sits now.
 #1540810  by PBMcGinnis

pnolette wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:18 am I just wonder how many more years Nestle is going to wait for Pan Am to get this going.

It is the other way around. Pan Am has been waiting for the City and/or Nestle Waters to make the first move. Pan Am is all for it and will do track improvements needed between Berlin and Waterbury, but they are not going to push either party along. They will let the political dust settle.