Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1539789  by Pensyfan19

Since I have recently uploaded a video going over my ranking of my top 15 favorite DE/DM30ACs, I would like to know what your rankings are; at least top 3.

Link to my video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KotCiJfICdQ
 #1539932  by Backshophoss

They are not quite scrap material yet,but an unhappy project of "Super Steel" and EMD. Altoona had to mop up afterwards
to make them functional,Not sure if worthy of becoming a Museun piece yet.
 #1539995  by Pensyfan19

Hence, why it says towards the end of my video: "Even though some would say that these locomotives do not perform well and are not as good as the fleet it replaced, they still continue to play a valuable role as part of the Long Island Railroad’s fleet." I did not make this list to go over their mechanical issues, but rather to notice how I have seen each locomotive and how each one has its own story to tell in relation to me and the LIRR. Some DE/DMs I have more of a preference of than others, which is why I made this video and this discussion.

What are some of your favorite individual DE/DM30AC locomotives? (general question for anyone to answer.)
 #1540022  by ConstanceR46

I don't think anyone outside of the LIRR foamer kids has any favorites out of these engines - produced by the very same company that irreversibly fucked up the turboliners
 #1540057  by Pensyfan19

ConstanceR46 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:07 pm I don't think anyone outside of the LIRR foamer kids has any favorites out of these engines - produced by the very same company that irreversibly * up the turboliners
I'm just asking anyone out there if they are interested in this and I am trying to start a somewhat creative topic different than the usual discussions of news and proposals. Even if they don't run that we'll and have maintinence issues, they are still commonly seen on the island for the past 20 years, and will likely be here for the next 5-7.
 #1540080  by RGlueck

Isn't this like asking about a favorite "Edsel" or "New Formula Coca-Cola"?
 #1540140  by Pensyfan19

Ok fine. Maybe we can't list our favorite DE/DM30ACs, but how about the rolling stock/locomotives which the LIRR always had. (The DMs probably will not be within the top 5). I'll start;

5. EMD F units
4. ALCO PAs
3. EMD DM30ACs
2. EMD GP38s
1. EMD MP15ACs
 #1540144  by RGlueck

Nope! LIRR only had an ALCO PA as a vistor in the early 1950's The FA1's and FA2's were elegant, as they appeared on first arrival. All the EMD stuff is mechanical litter. Look, if you're Long Island Rail Road fan, you love Camelbacks, G5's, H-10's, FM's, and any ALCO. Either you have taste, or you don't!
 #1540206  by Pensyfan19

RGlueck wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:29 pm Nope! LIRR only had an ALCO PA as a vistor in the early 1950's The FA1's and FA2's were elegant, as they appeared on first arrival. All the EMD stuff is mechanical litter. Look, if you're Long Island Rail Road fan, you love Camelbacks, G5's, H-10's, FM's, and any ALCO. Either you have taste, or you don't!
It's my opinion. I have the right to favor one locomotive over another. I meant to say FAs in the list.

P.S. you forgot the E6s and K4s (even though they were leased from the PRR, they are still legendary locomotives which played a considerable part in the railroad's history.)