Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1538752  by markhb

Maverickstation1 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:39 am Here is a link to the story as reported by the Portland Press Herald:

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/04/04/ ... -covid-19/
One point in the story that wasn't previously noted: they're closing the cafe as well.
 #1539287  by MEC407

"And then there were none."
 #1539322  by gokeefe

If I recall correctly the only other comparable service suspension was during the Democratic National Convention in 2004.
 #1539825  by trainhq

Well, the bigger question all this raises, isn't what happens when the service is suspended, it's
what happens when it comes back. I mean Amtrak has spent nearly 20 years building ridership,
especially on this route. How many people will ride it again when they get it going again, maybe
in late summer? (They'll likely miss the summer peak).
 #1539936  by Hux

Within two months of whenever service is booted up I’d say it will be at 75% and close to pre-pandemic numbers by six months. No doubt that masks will be in full use until such time as a vaccine is widely available.
 #1539941  by gokeefe

Concur. They've bounced back before and they'll do it again. This isn't the bad old days of the Boston & Maine running a rickety RDC to an asphalt platform off Congress Street.
 #1539982  by MEC407

How is that any different than the flu vaccine? Most of us get flu shots every fall; I get mine at the drugstore, it takes about five minutes and my insurance covers it 100% with no copay. If I have to get a coronavirus shot every fall in addition to a flu shot, I'm totally OK with that. I imagine most people would be.