Railroad Forums 

• Arch st RIP, Long Live Wheelspur

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1387476  by DogBert

ccutler wrote:I rode my bike around Wheelspur today and saw 4 tank cars, 6 box cars, and 2 lumber centerbeam cars in wheelspur. Further east appeared to be two gondola cars. I am guessing those cars might be for SIMS metal recycling but they could just as easily be for MOW.

Also east of wheelspur I saw this cut of 9 two-bay covered hoppers. Where do they come from? I've never seen them on the transfer run from Oak Point Yard.

Those gons are a mystery. I don't think they are for sims as sims has no siding. There were 3 back there last weekend.

Those cars at Maspeth are stone cars that come down on P&W. I suspect it's more finely crushed stone than the usual cars? They've been showing up at maspeth since at least this spring (plus maybe a few last summer).
 #1387502  by freightguy

I asked the crew of CHFP, the shorties are sand or cement for NYC. Maybe something with all the BQE bridge work in the area? Sometimes you'll see a clip of them on that train on P&W.
 #1538252  by rb

Have been meaning to post for a couple weeks, but it looks like Newhaven Distribution has set up shop in Wheelspur. Did they move the newsprint business from the Bronx to LIC?
 #1538717  by DaveBarraza

Uncle Cheapo wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:17 pm
I highly doubt it, NYA is actually better at losing traffic.
NYA moved 30,000 carloads in 2018, up from approximately 9,200 when it began operating in May 1997.

Kilgannon, Corey. (2019, April 7). The Pizza-and-Beer Train: New York City's Hidden Railroad. The New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/07/nyre ... t-nyc.html
 #1539582  by DogBert

A trucking company moved into the transload building that was previously used by a food distributor. Not sure what they are unloading but they regularly receive many tall boxcars per week.

The old Fresh Direct/Case Paper building is now gone. Not sure what will become of the property or the unused siding in the rear, but I kinda doubt it'll receive freight service. (some rumors of an amazon type delivery hub building something new there, nothing official announced anywhere)
 #1559184  by rb

Which job(s) now serve Wheelspur and Bliss? I occasionally see the WM empties getting dropped off in the late afternoon, but cars for Wheelspur seem to come after midnight. Curious to see if I can get more pics.
 #1559604  by freightguy

Looks like some more plate b and c style smaller boxcars have been making their way to the New Haven trucking freight house at the Wheelspur yard.
 #1559816  by DogBert

No idea what job number but Wheelspur is indeed served at night a few times per week.

Blissville & Bushwick get restocked with WM empties during the day (I'm assuming after they're pulled direct from the CSX turn in the morning), and empties are pulled out at night or (at least on sundays) early in the morning (8,9am).
 #1560087  by freightguy

They were in there switching the wheelspur tues 12/29 maybe around 2am it looked like. I would say the freight house takes cars 1-2x a week.
 #1560128  by rb

I saw them around 11:30 last night (KLW combo and a leased 38) dropping off a single centerbeam. Went back to Pond light.
 #1560719  by rb

Here's a photo from Monday Jan 4...
Attachments:
Wheelspur_3881_010421.JPG
Wheelspur_3881_010421.JPG (836.46 KiB) Viewed 1738 times