Railroad Forums 

• ID this location? A tough one!

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1538050  by Backshophoss

You wind up in hilly woodlands as you leave the coastal plains of each station location,that's why the "toss up" between GY and MY.
 #1538122  by krispy

I have to respectfully disagree on both GY and MY. I've been fortunate to work at both locations, especially at Montauk. Montauk does have some significant terrain as you approach the last crossing, but it's much farther than what you see in the second picture. Also, if you look at pictures dating back to pre-WW II, just about all of the hills there were bare, save scrub oak and brush. Poke through Arrt's archives regarding Montauk, especially during the Camp Wikoff period, and you'll see the hills are both farther away and bare. Also the early Montauk stations were closer to the water, not far from Fort Pond Bay, so that would be more apparent in the second pic. Greenport is a nearly flat grade into the village.

I'd go with K&K and say Richmond Hill. I've also frequented that station up to about 2011 and would ride a CE out there to get Alfie's (pizza) or Jahn's, and catch it on the way back from Pond. I've often wondered what it was like prior to elevation, and that second pic may be it. Right as the ROW hits Forest Park, there's a big ridge and you have quite a few steep grades going from there to Maspeth. Must have been fun firing that prior to elevation with a steam engine.
 #1538579  by Kelly&Kelly

I've also frequented that station up to about 2011 and would ride a CE out there to get Alfie's (pizza) or Jahn's, and catch it on the way back from Pond.
Wow! Used to go to long lunches there too.

This is a tough one... Are we sure it's on Long Island? The PRR borrowed LI engines from time to time...
 #1538613  by nyandw

Kelly&Kelly wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:34 pmThis is a tough one... Are we sure it's on Long Island? The PRR borrowed LI engines from time to time...
I like to learn a bit more about this>

Going back to the original posted photos, from John Specce, the zoom photo individuals are identified as: Fireman Joseph Amott, 3rd from right, Engineer Charles McKeever, 2nd from right. Parlor Car Attendant in gray uniform 3rd from left.

LIRR #41 D52a 4-4-0 This is a special/extra train, hence the white flags on the locomotive. Archive: John Specce

Locomotive #41 was a class D52a and was retired by 1906, so the image of the crew and locomotive is either 1906 or earlier, but not earlier than the locomotive renumbering of 1898, which limits the number of brick depots in use at that time. Yipes!

Idea: Perhaps we are viewing the trees incorrectly in the background? Tall mature trees on small hills?
 #1539132  by northpit

fireman amott lived in Richmond hill.since the RR named an interlocking after him he must have been a good employee.maybe his age, standing with the company,and seniority on the firemens roster would dictate his work location? its a stretch but its something
 #1539166  by nyandw

northpit wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:02 pm fireman amott lived in Richmond hill.since the RR named an interlocking after him he must have been a good employee.maybe his age, standing with the company,and seniority on the firemens roster would dictate his work location? its a stretch but its something
Richmond Hill wooden frame construction c.1905 Image

Joseph Henry Amott joined the LIRR in 1896 which would place him as the Fireman in the c.1906 photo. Image