Railroad Forums 

• ID this location? A tough one!

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1536918  by nyandw

OK, here's what I have thus far:
A Class D52a LIRR #41 4-4-0 This is a special/extra train, hence the white flags on the locomotive. Note the first three cars are parlor cars. . . possibly the entire train, but I can't make out the rear two cars clear enough. The Parlor Car attendant in gray uniform (center) is seen posing with the rest of the train crew.

Upon even closer examination of the photo, I notice the ticket bay is brick. We're looking at a substantial brick depot with covered platform extending a short distance past the wall, ending about in line with the edge of the platform. Note the two downspouts leading from the gutter to the depot. The one by the ticket bay slope on an angle to the wall of the depot, then down the wall to drain, but the one in the foreground would slope on an angle to a covered platform support post (to the left, outside this image) and then down the post to drain.

It can't be Amityville, Patchogue, Roslyn or Glen Head (all brick depots built in the late 19th century) because the covered platforms are much longer than those in this image.

That building at the right should be an identifying landmark if we could find it appearing in other images. . .

Looking at an employee timetable from 1903, around the same era as the photo, give or take a few years, there weren't many brick depots, and the ones that were in place at that time don't seem to fit the criteria of tracks level with the station platform, short covered platforms, distance from the tracks and ground dropping lower than the tracks as seen in the distance beyond the depot.

It can't be on the Rockaway branch as that line was the first to be electrified in 1905 . . . unless this image is earlier than 1905. Again, there weren't many brick depots on that line. Locomotive #41 was a class D52a and was retired by 1906, so this image is either 1906 or earlier, but not earlier than the locomotive renumbering of 1898. The original #41 was an 1870 product of Grant Locomotive Works. This is not that engine. Input: Dave Keller
Attachments:
LIRR-41_D52a-crew_c.1905_JohnSpecce .jpg
LIRR-41_D52a-crew_c.1905_JohnSpecce .jpg (120.22 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
LIRR-41_D52a_c.1905_JohnSpecce .jpg
LIRR-41_D52a_c.1905_JohnSpecce .jpg (101.9 KiB) Viewed 3279 times
 #1536925  by krispy

2nd pic has some serious hills in the background, which leads me to say somewhere either on the Pt. Jeff or the Oyster Bay branches. Don't forget the closed stations like Mill Neck or Setauket. Also, the hills are fairly well covered in trees, which is unusual, as most areas at that time period were bare as everyone burned firewood back then, so that may be a park, estate or some affluent area. Interesting pics!
 #1536936  by RGlueck

Presence of hills makes me think Montauk, but the white building belies that.
Certainly not in a ditch.