Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #1534553  by shlustig

I recently saw a photograph of the trestle across the PRR Ft. Wayne Line that was just south of Wooster when the line originally extended to Millersburg where it met the PRR's CA&C line.

I know that the portion from Lodi to Wooster was heavily damaged in a 1970's hurricane and traffic was rerouted to go Warwick / Mace Tower - Massillon / Wooster via the CL&W and x-PRR.

Does anybody know when the portion south of Wooster was abandoned and why?

Thanks In Advance
 #1536056  by Spin

"On July 4, 1969, a record breaking storm known as the “Ohio Fireworks Derecho” blew through Wayne County. The storm claimed 42 lives and devastated communities all throughout Northeast Ohio. Rising floodwaters washed out most of the former CA&C Fredericksburg-Orrville line and severely damaged the B&O's Millersburg branch. "

https://wiki.wcpl.info/w/Railroads_in_W ... unty,_Ohio
 #1536171  by shlustig

Spin;

The portion of the branch south of Wooster was abandoned long before 1969 as indicated by the June 1956 Official Guide which it is identified as "Wooster Branch Lodi - Wooster".
 #1536253  by mmi16

shlustig wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:05 am Spin;

The portion of the branch south of Wooster was abandoned long before 1969 as indicated by the June 1956 Official Guide which it is identified as "Wooster Branch Lodi - Wooster".
1944 Employee Timetable only lists the tracks between Lodi and Wooster. No other trackage was listed beyond Wooster.
 #1536500  by shlustig

Checked some older Official Guides yesterday at the NYCVSHS Archive and found the Millersburg Branch was listed in 1929 and gone by 1/1943.

Hopefully, someone can help to pin the discontinuance date closer.
 #1537621  by shlustig

Thanks to Steve Titchenal who has a tremendous collection of track charts and val maps, we found a date of 6/15/29 for abandonment south of the PRR at Wooster.
 #1537676  by mmi16

Spin wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:19 pm "On July 4, 1969, a record breaking storm known as the “Ohio Fireworks Derecho” blew through Wayne County. The storm claimed 42 lives and devastated communities all throughout Northeast Ohio. Rising floodwaters washed out most of the former CA&C Fredericksburg-Orrville line and severely damaged the B&O's Millersburg branch. "

https://wiki.wcpl.info/w/Railroads_in_W ... unty,_Ohio
That particular storm also damaged a number of stream crossings on the B&O's New Castle to Willard line, most serious was the damage to a bridge on the #1 (or North) track at Boughtonville, OH. Upon my return from my honeymoon, I got to work the Temporary Train Orders Station that was established at Boughtonville to facilitate the reconstruction of the failed bridge. The TTOS facilitated a 'shoo fly' that Westbound trains used to operate over the stream on the #2 (or South) track and return to #1 track on the far side of the bridge.