Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1535255  by Pensyfan19

Apparently engine 518 has been rebuilt with Siemens equipment in order to test it for a dual mode siemens charger, nearly gaurenteeing that the chagree will replace the DM30AC soon.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... BlcZNSDaYg
 #1535258  by Backshophoss

Can someone confirm this "kitbash" was done by Siemens? There should be a blanket of PR material from Siemens and MTA!
 #1535267  by photobug56

That sounds far too intelligent for LIRR - try out equipment before buying a bunch of it. Someone could get fired for doing that.
 #1535271  by Pensyfan19

photobug56 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:37 pm That sounds far too intelligent for LIRR - try out equipment before buying a bunch of it. Someone could get fired for doing that.
Even though the procurement for the Kawasaki M9s was a few years prior to this, the LIRR did try similar technology of new units years before they were made. In one case, they brought in a Metro North M8 for third rail testing in order to test it for service for the M9s since they are similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4GSG4fo0Vc
 #1535274  by DutchRailnut

The M-8 was brought in for testing dual position third rail shoes , it had Nothing to do with M-9
 #1535275  by DutchRailnut

As for Siemens and DM30 518 do you really think a unit could be modified with no one knowing ? dude I got a bridge for you.
 #1535279  by Pensyfan19

DutchRailnut wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:14 pm As for Siemens and DM30 518 do you really think a unit could be modified with no one knowing ? dude I got a bridge for you.
1. That was ConstanceR46's joke.
2. Maybe it just has a new bell after being in the shops for some time. I sis not come up with the proposal that 518 was rebuilt with Siemens technology. That is what the description of the attached video says.
 #1535286  by freightguy

Might be closer to reality than some would think! Remember the Metra Engine...
 #1535314  by Backshophoss

Seimens could have pumped out some PR material on this,only seen change is the oversisized screen for the inverters.
Still a "Kitbash" that needs proof
 #1535564  by 452 Card

Now lets take a breather, let the foam subside and listen. The DE-DMs were all built with Siemans traction systems. Although I am disconnected from the current LIRR doings, it would make sense that Siemans would be able to retrofit whatever is needed to the engines for testing. If the necessary parts changeout were easy on these units, I'm sure Siemans would embrace a test situation.
 #1535592  by freightguy

Interesting stuff. A former EMD executive wrote a recent article in TRAINS. He stated that the LIRR 1970’s EMD order was the last passenger locomotive order for EMD even though it’s basically freight equipment. Something about cost overruns.
 #1535611  by Backshophoss

You can hang the blame on "Super Steel" as the original builder,using the EMD "Kit" provided.
Siemens is staying very quiet about this "kitbash". :(
 #1535743  by Backshophoss

Would depend on how bad the wiring is,if the prime mover is useable,if the inverters are not burned out and the "DC link" is
still safe to use.
This unit may have become a parts supply by now.
Last edited by Backshophoss on Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.