Railroad Forums 

• Track work on the NEC

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1534998  by STrRedWolf

I bet there’s a ton of threads that can be collapsed under the general subject of track work on the NEC.

That said, I noticed that the track interlock for the lead going into the old WB&A rail yard area (which turned into a group of manufacturing facilities and now is turning into housing) has been removed and the track’s straight from Odenton all the way up to GROVE interlocking. I guess someone finally is ripping out the old track... or maybe they’re prepping to four-track down to Odenton and beyond.

Any comments?
 #1535419  by ThirdRail7

STrRedWolf wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:54 am I bet there’s a ton of threads that can be collapsed under the general subject of track work on the NEC.

That said, I noticed that the track interlock for the lead going into the old WB&A rail yard area (which turned into a group of manufacturing facilities and now is turning into housing) has been removed and the track’s straight from Odenton all the way up to GROVE interlocking. I guess someone finally is ripping out the old track... or maybe they’re prepping to four-track down to Odenton and beyond.

Any comments?
They took out National Plastics switch since it hasn't been used in years.
 #1535521  by scratchyX

That's a shame, the last bit of WBA no longer used.
That said, Any word on removal of the north platform, to make way for 4 tracks?
 #1535588  by STrRedWolf

scratchyX wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:43 pm That's a shame, the last bit of WBA no longer used.
That said, Any word on removal of the north platform, to make way for 4 tracks?
No word. I think they'll want to rebuild BWI for 4-track operation first before rebuilding Odenton.
 #1535616  by RRspatch

rcthompson04 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:59 pm The work in Delaware is ramping up as SEPTA has started adjusting schedules starting March 8.
I wonder if this has anything to do with construction south of Wilmington. I'm amazed it's taking so long to build two miles of track between Ragan and Yard.
 #1535632  by rcthompson04

RRspatch wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:06 am
rcthompson04 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:59 pm The work in Delaware is ramping up as SEPTA has started adjusting schedules starting March 8.
I wonder if this has anything to do with construction south of Wilmington. I'm amazed it's taking so long to build two miles of track between Ragan and Yard.
SEPTA is pointing to work occurring between Marcus Hook and Claymont as well.
http://www.septa.org/media/WilmingtonNe ... Update.pdf
 #1535666  by SRich

Is the track work for higher speed (135 mph ore higher) on the NEC ?
 #1544233  by Jeff Smith

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/n ... racks.html
A project to increase speeds for Amtrak and MARC trains currently slowed by aging rail infrastructure in Baltimore is getting a boost from an $8 million Federal Railroad Administration grant.

The money, announced Wednesday by the agency, will help to rehabilitate and upgrade a five-mile section of Amtrak's Northeast Corridor and allow trains to travel 50% faster, up from 60 mph to 90 mph. The improvements will take place between the north end of West Baltimore Station to Winans at the southern end of Halethorpe station, which serves both MARC and Amtrak trains.

The work will include replacing deteriorated timber rail ties with concrete, installing heavier rail and laying new track ballast, which holds the track in place beneath moving trains.
 #1544271  by STrRedWolf

Jeff Smith wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:45 am https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/n ... racks.html
A project to increase speeds for Amtrak and MARC trains currently slowed by aging rail infrastructure in Baltimore is getting a boost from an $8 million Federal Railroad Administration grant.

The money, announced Wednesday by the agency, will help to rehabilitate and upgrade a five-mile section of Amtrak's Northeast Corridor and allow trains to travel 50% faster, up from 60 mph to 90 mph. The improvements will take place between the north end of West Baltimore Station to Winans at the southern end of Halethorpe station, which serves both MARC and Amtrak trains.

The work will include replacing deteriorated timber rail ties with concrete, installing heavier rail and laying new track ballast, which holds the track in place beneath moving trains.
IE Between BRIDGE and WINANS. Rechecking the line through Google Maps' Sat view makes me think the following:
  • Shut down Track A (with bridges over the track at Halethorpe) and do the ties between the two interlocks.
  • Then Shut down Tracks 1 and A (bridge at BWI, one-way at Halethorpe) , do the WINNANS interlock and half of BRIDGE.
  • Shut down A, 1, and 2 to do another section of BRIDGE over the weekends.
  • Shut down 2 and 3 over the weekends for the last section of BRIDGE, suffering two single-track areas between FULTON and BRIDGE, as well as WINNANS and GROVE (!!!).
Want to avoid single tracking between WINNANS and GROVE? Turn WINNANS into a 4-track interlock.
 #1544304  by RRspatch

STrRedWolf wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:07 pm

IE Between BRIDGE and WINANS. Rechecking the line through Google Maps' Sat view makes me think the following:
  • Shut down Track A (with bridges over the track at Halethorpe) and do the ties between the two interlocks.
  • Then Shut down Tracks 1 and A (bridge at BWI, one-way at Halethorpe) , do the WINNANS interlock and half of BRIDGE.
  • Shut down A, 1, and 2 to do another section of BRIDGE over the weekends.
  • Shut down 2 and 3 over the weekends for the last section of BRIDGE, suffering two single-track areas between FULTON and BRIDGE, as well as WINNANS and GROVE (!!!).
Want to avoid single tracking between WINNANS and GROVE? Turn WINNANS into a 4-track interlock.
From what Jeff posted and my CETC 1 knowledge of the territory it looks like they're only redoing Track "A" between Winans and Bridge and probably surfacing on No.1 track. I would see no reason to shut down No.2 and No.3 track between Bridge and Grove unless the concrete ties on those tracks are going bad already.

As far as turning Winans into a full interlocking I believe long range plans are for a new interlocking just south of Stony Run curve which is just south of BWI. Eventual plans are to extend "A" track down to Grove so I would guess at that point Winans would go away. I believe one of the reasons for the new station building at BWI was to create a bigger space between the station building and the No.1 track platform for a future "A" track. Once done the No.1 track platform would become an island platform with the overhead walkway extended over it.

Remembering my CETC 1 days ....
 #1544408  by STrRedWolf

RRspatch wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 1:37 am From what Jeff posted and my CETC 1 knowledge of the territory it looks like they're only redoing Track "A" between Winans and Bridge and probably surfacing on No.1 track. I would see no reason to shut down No.2 and No.3 track between Bridge and Grove unless the concrete ties on those tracks are going bad already.
Or you're swapping the wood on the interlocks for concrete, which is what I see off of Google Maps. Just doing Track A? Not an issue.
As far as turning Winans into a full interlocking I believe long range plans are for a new interlocking just south of Stony Run curve which is just south of BWI. Eventual plans are to extend "A" track down to Grove so I would guess at that point Winans would go away. I believe one of the reasons for the new station building at BWI was to create a bigger space between the station building and the No.1 track platform for a future "A" track. Once done the No.1 track platform would become an island platform with the overhead walkway extended over it.

Remembering my CETC 1 days ....
The plan was to extend Track A all the way to GROVE and then rename it 1, bumping all the other numbers up 2-3-4. This would require a complete rebuild of BWI, pushing the station north, building a new bridge over the tracks, laying down two new tracks, and turning existing track 1 into an island platform.

Right now, though... well, it can still be done... but it makes the rebuilt station feel like $5mil wasted.
 #1544409  by gokeefe

Watch how quickly the Wilmington work gets done if "Amtrak Joe" gets elected ...

"Yes Sir that project will be the first thing we take care of in the New Year."

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#1544428  by Rockingham Racer

gokeefe wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:57 pm Watch how quickly the Wilmington work gets done if "Amtrak Joe" gets elected ...

"Yes Sir that project will be the first thing we take care of in the New Year."

I am not familiar with the work you reference. Could you please elucidate?
 #1544433  by gokeefe

There was a track project around Wilmington which I thought you were referring to. Adding a new third track. As of the last report I read and I believe referenced in this thread it was still incomplete almost 8 years after being funded.