Railroad Forums 

• Acela Disposition Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1535140  by WhartonAndNorthern

rcthompson04 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:45 pm I would love for faster service for the Keystone Service, but several issues with it:

1) Is PennDOT going to subsidize the added costs? They don’t even provide a cafe car now. There is no first class. There are 4 Amfleets, 1 Metroliner control car and the ACS-64.
And a baggage car, added October 1, 2020. There is no Acela baggage car.
Last edited by WhartonAndNorthern on Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #1535146  by mcgrath618

WhartonAndNorthern wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:51 pm
rcthompson04 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:45 pm I would love for faster service for the Keystone Service, but several issues with it:

1) Is PennDOT going to subsidize the added costs? They don’t even provide a cafe car now. There is no first class. There are 4 Amfleets, 1 Metroliner control car and the ACS-64.
And a baggage car, added October 1, 2020. There is no Acela baggage car.
Wrong. The baggage is for the Pennsylvanian, not for regular Keystone service.
 #1535219  by hi55us

I would love to see the old Acela equipment run on the MBTA Providence line, although I'm not sure how realistic it would be to convert the equipment to commuter standards. They could run "express" service along the NEC that runs Wickford-Providence-Mansfield-Route 128-Boston. There's a big market for faster commuter rail between Boston and Providence (as evidenced by the loads on 66 and 177 on weekdays) and doing the Wickford-Boston run in an hour would be a big boost to the station that has largely been a bust since it was opened a few years ago.
 #1535248  by hi55us

mtuandrew wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:19 pm hi55us: isn’t that the market Amtrak fills, and why would it want MBTA to compete against them?

Moderator Note: moved these two posts from Amtrak Expansion
Amtrak should be using those seats for Boston-New York fares. They're missing out on those $50 BOS-NYP tickets by selling $15 BOS-PVD tickets. BOS-RTE tickets are not allowed because of MBTA and BOS-PVD should fall under the same umbrella.
 #1535308  by gokeefe

hi55us wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:07 pm I would love to see the old Acela equipment run on the MBTA Providence line, although I'm not sure how realistic it would be to convert the equipment to commuter standards.
It is not financially feasible. Not enough revenue and host railroad fees would be astronomical due to electric power. These trainsets are getting scrapped and *maybe* some will go to a museum.
 #1535349  by Matt Johnson

I hope they at least donate part of a set, if not a whole set, for preservation. Would be quite a sight to have one under the same roof here! (Would also be nice to see a new addition to house the E60, AEM-7, Budd Metroliner, and other units currently stored outside.) Me and a relic of the past in September 2019:
Attachments:
gg1matt.jpg
gg1matt.jpg (223.97 KiB) Viewed 1706 times
 #1535369  by frequentflyer

Am I the only one feeling old about the Acela retiring? It seemed like last year Trains mag had a conception picture of "American Flyer" nee Acela. We scoffed at the name Acela wondering why Amtrak was throwing away the Metroliner brand equity. My, my how times have changed.
 #1535416  by ThirdRail7

There is still a shortage of parts for this equipment and a lot of them are specialized. They lack traps and have a fixed amount of seating. They would be an expensive addition to any fleet.
frequentflyer wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:20 am Am I the only one feeling old about the Acela retiring? It seemed like last year Trains mag had a conception picture of "American Flyer" nee Acela. We scoffed at the name Acela wondering why Amtrak was throwing away the Metroliner brand equity. My, my how times have changed.
Indeed but it also reminds me that although they definitely added to the bottom line, this specialized piece of equipment will have entered service and retired while the former metroliner cab cars, the Superliners, Amfleets, and GE diesel fleet still roll on.
 #1535424  by gokeefe

That thought has crossed my mind as well. On the other hand if Amtrak had sufficient funding most of the equipment you mention would have been replaced by now.

Notable too that the GE diesel fleet has already been replaced in some locations by the new Chargers. So in a new equipment v. new equipment scenario (both from the 90s) it's pretty close to the same in some cases.
 #1535425  by gokeefe

I think another consideration is that the regulatory change by the FRA played major role in this acquisition. Had these rules been in place at the time of the original Acela acquisition the current fleet might be under consideration for a rebuild. It's worth remembering that at the outset of the new program buying additional cars for the Acela trainsets was the initial decision.
 #1535428  by DutchRailnut

and they considered that after about 10 years, but it was deemed ridiculous to splice brand new cars into train sets that were half way into their life cycle.
 #1535446  by gokeefe

Right and it still would have required lengthening (at the time) almost new servicing facilities.
 #1535449  by east point

There is no way to know future demand for the end of -1 service and -2 services in full swing. That said the provision for Amtrak to get more train cars for the -2s hopefully will be filled for some train sets ? Might even get 2 - 4 more power cars ? There is no possible way to anticipate what bugs might sideline some of the -2s ? Hopefully none.