Railroad Forums 

• Acela Disposition Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1534590  by Matt Johnson

ApproachMedium wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:25 am
Anybody who thinks these current acelas are nicer than amfleets or in really good shape i guess hasnt ridden one in a while. The ceilings leak water from the light fixtures when it rains hard for too long. The plastic panels have had it. Theres constant problems. They get worse by the day. The faster this stuff can go the better. Its too heavy and its ripping itself apart.
I guess it's been over a year for me - Jan 2019 is when I recorded those youtube videos in the earlier post. That's interesting - didn't realize they were showing those problems. Makes me feel better about their retirement - hate to see good equipment thrown away early but if they're at the end of their useful life....
 #1534674  by mcgrath618

I just hope at least one set makes its way to a museum ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

While I would like the RRMPA to get one, I think I’d rather the Illinois Transportation Museum get one, seeing as it supports catenary (and won’t relegate the Acela to just sitting around all the time).
 #1534710  by eolesen

IRM runs IC and CSSSB equipment with pans, although they do have to watch them at wire junctions.

The first reason I'd say doubtful for IRM is the length of a train set. The deepest barn is around 400 feet; an Acela trainset is over 600 feet in length. You could omit a few cars to get length down, but two power cars alone would take up 2/5ths of the available track in the longest barn... is it worth having two power cars, two coaches and a cafe car?...

The bigger problem will be overhead voltage. IRM runs 600V. Acela needs 12,000V. The IC cars ran on 1500V as did the CSSSB. Those cars can and do run on "half" voltage at IRM. Running Acela at 5% won't work, just as it won't work on the AEM-7 that IRM received two years ago, or the Virginian EF-4.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

#1534711  by eolesen

mcgrath618 wrote:
Backshophoss wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:58 pm IRM has DC power wire for trolly,interurban cars, an Acela pan would rip right thru that!! :( :(
How does the “Little Joe” operate then?
It doesn't. The only way it moves is MU'd to a diesel....

#1534720  by WhartonAndNorthern

eolesen wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:51 pm
The bigger problem will be overhead voltage. IRM runs 600V. Acela needs 12,000V. The IC cars ran on 1500V as did the CSSSB. Those cars can and do run on "half" voltage at IRM. Running Acela at 5% won't work, just as it won't work on the AEM-7 that IRM received two years ago, or the Virginian EF-4.

More importantly, it's DC which does not work with transformers. You'd be sending 600 volts DC through a wire coil and do nothing other than heat the wire and possibly short to ground (inductors are DC shorts) and not produce the 3000-4000 volts needed on the transformer secondary.
 #1534721  by David Benton

You could modify it to run under reduced power. Take out the transformer , put an inverter in to up the 600 volts d.c to whatever a.c the control gear wants , probably remove most of the traction motors ,and hope the scrap value pays for the inverter.
 #1534724  by ApproachMedium

David Benton wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:15 am You could modify it to run under reduced power. Take out the transformer , put an inverter in to up the 600 volts d.c to whatever a.c the control gear wants , probably remove most of the traction motors ,and hope the scrap value pays for the inverter.
You are again talking about trying to make a super over complicated machine work in a simple manner. These train sets are heavily over complicated, high tech machines. Outside of their operational environment they are totally useless. Conversions would be very expensive, and would still require all the vintage computer electronics to work and play nice. For what its worth, its a static display piece when the time comes.
 #1534725  by David Benton

Yes , static display makes the most sense, probably not much point in having a HSR train moving slowly anyway .
Just pointing out it could be done in theory. But sounds like it would take a total gut , and substitute running gear from a dc machine though.
Be cheaper to give passengers a VIR headset each :wink: .
 #1534771  by mcgrath618

eolesen wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:52 pm
mcgrath618 wrote:
Backshophoss wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:58 pm IRM has DC power wire for trolly,interurban cars, an Acela pan would rip right thru that!! :( :(
How does the “Little Joe” operate then?
It doesn't. The only way it moves is MU'd to a diesel....

1:02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hej-kcgEsLw
 #1534795  by Backshophoss

Acela I's have a/c traction motors DC power wont work. Can be plugged into ground power to allow the lights to work
There's story that the Little Joe ran on its own 1 time,a direct tap to a trolly pole to the traction motors,but not to be repeated,
due to the power draw.
 #1534808  by eolesen

mcgrath618 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:35 pm 1:02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hej-kcgEsLw
As noted, the power draw is way too much for the overhead... It's not been repeated since then as far as I know, but it has been MU'd`.