Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1532043  by Erie-Lackawanna

Kelly&Kelly wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:01 am The biggest cockroaches we've ever seen.
Come on down to South Florida. Ours are big enough to carry away babies. AND THEY FLY.

I kid you not.

Jim
 #1533603  by jhdeasy

Erie-Lackawanna wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:06 pm
Kelly&Kelly wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:01 am The biggest cockroaches we've ever seen.
Come on down to South Florida. Ours are big enough to carry away babies. AND THEY FLY.

I kid you not.

Jim
I'm told that a certain private car owner whose car is parked at Amtrak's Miami FL station reported a problem with iguanas. Supposedly he was doing some work under the car and unexpectedly encountered some iguanas.
 #1534241  by SRich

Maybe MTA can construct a new tunnel to the empire connection for the future MNRR acces for the hudson line
 #1534245  by Backshophoss

Current connection tunnel handles full size passenger cars already,if you mean a 2 track bore,forget it.
LIRR West side yard is built over that tunnel.
Amtrak is building a replacement running Repair shop for LIRR due to the tunnel box for Gateway.
 #1534428  by BuddR32

Backshophoss wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:27 pm Amtrak is building a replacement running Repair shop for LIRR due to the tunnel box for Gateway.
That new shop is completed and open.
 #1534457  by Backshophoss

LIRR West Side Yard,south east quad next to the leads to Penn Station,requires a Switchback move to enter the building.
 #1534799  by BuddR32

Kelly&Kelly wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:13 am Where's the new shop? What's it for, Periodic Inspections and light repairs like the old one?
Same exact location and function as the last one. Currently doing the camera installs, I dont believe theyre currently doing PIs there The layout of the shop tracks are the same, in fact I believe the tracks and shop floor are the original. The welfare and stores/offices are all new construction.
 #1534933  by EuroStar

jamestrains1 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:53 am It looks as though C-Yard will be improved as part of the Penn Station Access project.
At one point in the early study phase of ARC there was discussion of Near Term Alternatives that could be implemented on a shorter time frame than the ultimate tunnel solution. One of the alternatives was an extension of C-Yard.
Access to the Region's Core
MIS SUMMARY REPORT

https://corpinfo.panynj.gov/files/uploa ... 6426-o.pdf
Summer 2003
see pdf pg. 48

"“C” Yard Extension. Extension of “C” Yard Tracks 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 10,
connected to LIRR Station Tracks 19-21, from their western ends at Ninth
Avenue west to a new underground terminus that stub ends at Tenth Avenue.
This would provide additional storage space for six 12-car LIRR trains north and
east of the existing West Side Yard. The estimated construction cost, in 2000
dollars, not escalated to year of construction, is $200 million. "

see pdf pg. 49
Figure 1.3-1 Near-Term Improvements
(Click the picture to see the full size image.)

see pdf pg. 49
Zoom in of Figure 1.3-1 Near-Term Improvements
(Click the picture to see the full size image.)
I have no idea what improvements to the C Yard are envisioned for Metro North, but extending the C Yard (the green in the image) is not an option any more with the private buildings that are going up on that block. The 12th Avenue Yard (the blue in the image) is also not an option primarily because the new Gateway tracks are going to be in the way. There might have been some building construction on the blocks above it too. I did not check. The only yard in that image that remains remotely constructuble is the 31st Street Linear Yard and that is for NJT only.
 #1534962  by Kelly&Kelly

When West Side Yard was being planned back in 1982 by the Operations & Service Planning group, a consultant recommended extending C Yard for additional storage space. The proposed extension only added five car lengths to most tracks, which from an operating point of view was pretty worthless. Back then funding was much harder to come by and the proposal was dismissed as having little value for the price.
 #1534965  by Backshophoss

C yard has been hacked up any way,After the Empire connection was built,
With both Gateway tunnels access via C yard make that expansion useless. :P :P
 #1539459  by NIMBYkiller

C Yard being extended all depends how deep the foundations are on these new buildings. Same with E Yard, although I'm curious whether the portion under 31st st could be extended to the tracks where the running repair shop at WSY is (obviously you'd have to remove the repair shop).