Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Gateway Tunnels

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1533983  by mtuandrew

gokeefe wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:43 am The longer this goes on the more it makes me think that the federal government really does feel this should be paid for by New York and New Jersey.
Oh they absolutely think so, less under the last administration (but still somewhat) and much more under this one.
 #1533992  by eolesen

It needs to be funded just like all of the other bridges and tunnels are; through the port authority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #1533993  by gokeefe

Right and I think that thought is shared by a lot of people in Washington who don't change from one administration to another.
 #1533999  by east point

Maybe we should look at the politics of funding this project?
1. How does funding this project help the present administration and its political party ?
2. Will it cause them to get any electoral votes in the next presidential election ? Have to doubt it.
3. If a tunnel bore fails will the opposition be blamed ? Probably that they id not do enough o get funding through.
4. Does the party holding back the funds believe a tube failure will hurt the economy ? Present political ins probably do not . The chaos after the failure in one tube should be an indication ?
 #1534000  by gokeefe

Here's the other part of the point I'm making ... I don't think the Obama administration was really sold on federal funding for this project either. It's such an obvious choice for Recovery Act money and even then they didn't pursue it either.
 #1534003  by Frank

gokeefe wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:07 pm Here's the other part of the point I'm making ... I don't think the Obama administration was really sold on federal funding for this project either. It's such an obvious choice for Recovery Act money and even then they didn't pursue it either.
The problems with the tunnel didn't get really bad until after Hurricane Sandy. Those tunnels are on borrowed time.
 #1534016  by ExCon90

Maybe the answer is to induce Senator Schumer to hold a press conference vigorously denouncing the whole project as unnecessary--the White House might approve it in a heartbeat and get it done. :wink:
 #1534018  by eolesen

east point wrote: 2. Will it cause them to get any electoral votes in the next presidential election ? Have to doubt it.
Zero chance. Trump could fund this fully with zero state funding and the NYC/Northeast NJ delegations would make sure he got zero credit for it.

3. If a tunnel bore fails will the opposition be blamed ? Probably that they id not do enough o get funding through.
4. Does the party holding back the funds believe a tube failure will hurt the economy ? Present political ins probably do not . The chaos after the failure in one tube should be an indication ?
Please. Schumer, Gillebrand, Nadler, AOC etc would still blame him for anything that happened while he was in office, regardless of the fact Obama didn’t fund it either.

Heck, they’ll blame Trump for the next 20 or 30 years and have a complicit media willing to echo and reinforce
the blame shifting regardless if it’s true or not.

#1534044  by David Benton

eolesen wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:46 pm
Please. Schumer, Gillebrand, Nadler, AOC etc would still blame him for anything that happened while he was in office, regardless of the fact Obama didn’t fund it either.

Heck, they’ll blame Trump for the next 20 or 30 years and have a complicit media willing to echo and reinforce
the blame shifting regardless if it’s true or not.

He's probably done 20 or 30 years damage to America's international relationships.
I agree though , that he will fund nothing that would benefit New York , and doesn't seem particularly interested in Amtrak , or any public transport.
 #1534052  by east point

The question is has Chao followed the president by no releasing the EIS for how many over due days ? is it over 600 days now ? That is where the problem lies. I cannot believe if the buck does not stop at the presidents desk !
 #1534082  by Nasadowsk

Or maybe, the reality is that this doesn't matter to the 300+ million Americans that don't live in the NYC area? They'll see it as "What does it matter if some vulture capitalist has to go through the horrors of spending another 45 minutes to get to work to 'unlock shareholder value' by axing my job?"
 #1534164  by STrRedWolf

Nasadowsk wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:16 am Or maybe, the reality is that this doesn't matter to the 300+ million Americans that don't live in the NYC area? They'll see it as "What does it matter if some vulture capitalist has to go through the horrors of spending another 45 minutes to get to work to 'unlock shareholder value' by axing my job?"
"Your job got axed because it cost the vulture capitalist 45 minutes more to get to work, and that's 45 minutes more pay they had to shell out. Guess where it came out of?"
 #1534172  by JoeG

NY and NJ pay billions more in Federal taxes each year than they get back from Washington. So they should be able to get some funding for this important project. That used to be considered plain common sense. Not so much these days. Do we really need a military budget that is approximately the sum of all other countries combined? Maybe that's one reason that other industrialized but less militarized countries have so much better infrastructure and transportation systems than we do. Not to mention that we pay at least twice as much per capita for inferior medical care than other industrial countries.
We need to restructure our priorities to provide more stuff, like public transportation and decent roads, and less to fund multi billion bailouts and tax breaks for the one percent. If we made these changes there would be plenty of money for infrastructure. Look at western Europe and Japan.

As for right now, I hope NY and NJ and the Port Authority are willing and able to put up the money for Gateway. The Feds might come up with a few bucks if the Dems win it all this fall, but even then I wouldn't hold my breath. And who knows, His Majesty King Cuomo might have a hissy fit and refuse to participate because he has some grudge against some NJ official.
 #1534205  by R&DB

Gateway, Portal and Moynihan projects all impact every state from MA to FL to LA. So the assertion that it is only a NY/NJ thing is false. Every rail passenger who travels through the North River tunnels should be screaming at their congress critters and state politicos every day to get these projects done. And if they don't, then we can play DEAL! (Don't Elect Any Incumbents)