Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1530155  by Head-end View

I doubt they would be putting up new permanent signals at this stage of construction. In the past LIRR has used pedestal signals for temporary use during reconstruction of signals and interlockings. They did that at Harold just west of Woodside a while back. I'll try to look for them next time I'm in that area.
 #1530222  by ExCon90

When the PRR introduced pedestal signals around 1930 they were restricted to tracks where the MAS did not exceed 30 mph for visibility reasons, so they wouldn't be a good choice for permanent installation. And isn't the LIRR installing high color-light signals pretty much everywhere?
 #1530245  by Head-end View

As I understand it pedestal signals are built where space is an issue and a physically lower profile signal is needed. Several permanent sets have been in place in Hicksville for many years at the east end of the station and right in front of Divide Tower. The speed limit there is 40mph.

The LIRR has installed several different signal types over the last fifteen years. In Harold & Wantagh Interlockings and at Patchogue high-mounted color-light signals are in place. Harold uses the triangular pattern heads. Wantagh and Patchogue have traffic-light style heads. But on the newly renovated territory between Farmingdale and Ronkonkoma, only the new reduced-aspect signals have been used. The latter are very controversial and I'm told are hated by the train crews.

I really hope that the new signals from Floral Park to Hicksville will NOT be the reduced-aspect signals, but I got a bad feeling about what's coming. The MTA has wanted for years to change LIRR over to those reduced-aspect ones similar to Metro-North's changeover twenty-five years ago. But hopefully the MTA-LIRR will come to its senses and go back to high-mounted traditional aspect color-lights.
 #1531808  by bellstbarn

ImageMerillon Ave. by sphoto33, on Flickr
It looks like Tracks 1 and 2 will not have to be moved. The new platform for Track 1 is in line with the old platform. The new eastbound platform appears to be lined up for the third track.

Playwood boards protect the private backyards along Atlantic Avenue.

#1531847  by MattAmity90

I've said it time and time again: If only we could have constructed temporary platforms like that when we elevated the Babylon Branch! Think of all the wood we could have saved, easier cleanup, they were mobile, and we could have made adjustments to the car lengths of each platform. New Hyde Park has its temporary platforms all set up, but I don't know if they are in service yet. Last time I checked the original platforms were still in service. If you are wondering how long NHP's platforms are, they erected them from the 12th Street crossing to just shy of the now eliminated Covert Avenue, which is about 1250'. The plan for the elimination of NHP Road calls for the closure of all 4 lanes, the road skewed to next to it, and a temporary grade crossing that is two lanes (like they did at Herricks Road).
 #1531891  by Head-end View

Well Matt, the Babylon Branch was done what, maybe fifty years ago? Construction methods have evolved forward since those days. Like the way they're building the new bridges in record time. :-D
 #1531944  by MattAmity90

Head-end View wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:30 pm Well Matt, the Babylon Branch was done what, maybe fifty years ago? Construction methods have evolved forward since those days. Like the way they're building the new bridges in record time. :-D
You do have to admit though that for the 1960's-1970's, the construction techniques and with how fast they were able to elevate the sections was outstanding, along with the fact that it didn't stonewall service for commuters getting to work! It took them 5 years to elevate A/C/L (although the 1972 LIRR strike hindered it), 6 years to elevate Bellmore and Merrick (hindered by the 1972 strike), but only 3 years for Massapequa Park. Others were done in a matter of just two years!

Those projects vs. today's are of different magnitude like comparing apples to oranges. We're talking adding an extra track, and eliminating all grade crossings without temporary tracks, and keeping commuter service going! The box-jacking method receives a lot of praise from me and others on this forum for how innovative, creative, efficient, and time-saving it is. They don't even have to use the maximum output to push it into place. Being interested in engineering as well as my late maternal grandfather was, his eyes would be wide open.
 #1532051  by MattAmity90

The New Hyde Park Road grade crossing elimination and reconstruction of the station will commence on February 3rd.

-The temporary station (two 10-car platforms) will go into service starting on February 3rd.
-New Hyde Park Road will be closed from 4th to Plaza.
-No elaboration on traffic patterns.

They are reconstructing the station and eliminating the crossing at the same time to save time.

Stay tuned for further details as next Monday closes in.
 #1532305  by bellstbarn

ImageWestbury LIRR by sphoto33, on Flickr

That stairway has 36 steps and will need modification when the new platform is built for the added track.

Please note how the present Track 2 platform is north of the alignment of the new track. I predict that pillars in the parking lot will support the new platform. Note the padlock on the gate.
 #1532456  by MattAmity90

Update for the February 3rd relocation of New Hyde Park.

1.) Obviously passenger service will be relocated to the two 10-car temporary platforms in between Covert Avenue and 12th Street.
2.) It turns out that 12th Street is being eliminated as well. They are making it convenient to access both platforms by converting 12th Street into a pedestrian underpass.
3.) Unlike what I said before, there will actually be NO temporary grade crossing. Starting on Monday, the entire road will be closed. MTA and LIRR officials are marking detours to tell motorists to use Nassau Boulevard and Covert Avenue.
4.) They have slated the new bridge to be put into place on the weekend of July 11th-12th already.
5.) They say the road will be reopened shortly after that after only 7 months of closure.
6.) New Hyde Park's old station will be demolished and rebuilt with two new 12-car platforms as has been stated the day that the road closes.
 #1532760  by RidingSolo

So far, so good at New Hyde Park temporary platforms. As mentioned, 10 cars. If Westbound consist is 12 cars, the first 2 cars don't make the platform. Last two cars don't make the platform for the Eastbound trains. This is opposite of what used to happen on the old platform.

Using South 12th Street as a means to cross the tracks does not appear to be a good option right now (due to traffic caused by full closing of New Hyde Park Road crossing)

It is what it is, and cannot wait for the new underpass at NHP Road as well as the new station.
 #1532804  by MattAmity90

The timetable for the New Hyde Park Road elimination and New Hyde Park station construction is slated to be completed by next Spring.

New Hyde Park Road grade crossing:

-Closed February 3rd, 2020.
-Bridge slated to be put in place on the preliminary weekend of July 12th-13th, 2020.
-Road expected to be reopened by the end of July 2020.
-For the 6-7 months of closure, traffic is recommended by Nassau Boulevard and Covert Avenue.
-Box-jacking method will be utilized just like Covert and Urban. New rendering shows Herricks Road-esque bridge with a retaining wall in the center with barrels and guardrails.
-Unlike in past posts, a temporary grade crossing at NHP Road WILL NOT be constructed because the Eastbound end of the new station will be extended further towards the new trestle.

New Hyde Park station:

-Platforms closed and temporary platforms in service February 3rd, 2020.
-Construction started in unison with grade crossing elimination to speed up the timetable, plus the site is prepped.
-Station is slated to be completed by Spring 2021.
 #1533012  by MattAmity90

LB wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:18 am What is the plan for the depot at New Hyde Park?
The freight depot I believe will remain, but the siding will most certainly undergo rail and tie replacement. I've also realized that since the third track will be of rail and concrete rail ties, they will have to replace rail and ties for both current tracks. In the end what is Track 2 will be the express/bypass track in the middle, while what is Track 1 now will still be the WB local track. The new third track will the local EB track.