Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1531726  by 452 Card

A lot of these sayings have a lot of "Kitsche", but the 511 is placed on the the parts line after the switch. Getting some of the parts off might turn out to be a _itch!.
 #1531743  by RGlueck

If they do strip it for parts, let's hope it goes without a glitch!
 #1531775  by RGlueck

I hope we find out exactly where the parts are reinstalled from some shop snitch.
 #1531811  by Pensyfan19

I guess the trend of rhyming on how 511 is a parts unit is a nice niche.
 #1531955  by Backshophoss

bENT FRAME = Deadline,never to return to service,parts bin for the rest of the fleet.
Scrapped when stripped of "useful" parts.
 #1531957  by Pensyfan19

Backshophoss wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:16 pm bENT FRAME = Deadline,never to return to service,parts bin for the rest of the fleet.
Scrapped when stripped of "useful" parts.
NOOOOOO!!!!!!! (Sorry for shouting)
Welp, I guess 511 is just like Amtrak 66.
Rest in spaghet, never 4get.
It had a Dashing Dan sticker on its side too and was taken off months before it crashed. There goes my second favourite DM30AC :(
 #1532101  by RGlueck

A "Dashing Dan" on the side of a DM is simply Kitsch.
 #1532733  by photobug56

Dashing Dan on the side of any DE or DM seems a joke. I'm told they can move fairly quickly, but in real life, speeds based on distance versus time, you might as well call them snails. In a Newsday letter to the editor, certain runs on the PJ line averaged well under 30 mph. Makes me wonder if a horse drawn stage coach would be almost as fast - if it were on rails.

Question - how many working DM's are left?

Those of us on the PJ line can't understand why our only east bound direct trains from Penn to Port Jeff are at 4:19PM and 4:49PM - before evening rush hour has really begun. Those trains are fairly slow already - about an hour from Penn just to Huntington, but the later runs are horribly slow. Like the infamous 6:01 that does that same (combined electric and diesel) in about an hour and 20 minutes. If you leave work after about 4:15PM it takes an awfully long time to get home. Does any other branch have that horrible a PM schedule? I've heard complaints about Oyster Bay, of course.
 #1532779  by Pensyfan19

photobug56 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:44 pmQuestion - how many working DM's are left?
46 were built minus 511 and 503 makes 44.
 #1532815  by photobug56

There were 23 DE's, 23 DM's. One DM was downgraded to a DE, another I believe burnt badly. This one, 511 damaged. SO it sounds like we still have 24 dE's, maybe 20 DM's?

In the meantime, LIRR added all sorts of east end DM service. And on summer weekends there is a severe shortage of everything diesel - DM's, C3's, etc. And the worse it gets, the more trains get badly shortened or cancelled. In the meantime, as I noted, the PJ line's last direct from Penn to Port Jeff departs 4:49 - before rush hour. That line needs another direct train around 6PM from Penn to PJ, possibly replacing the 6:01 that's horribly slow and a long wait at Hicksville each day. In the meantime, Oyster Bay is said to need better service. And it will likely be many years before LIRR finally gets - in usable condition, new DM's of some sort along with new DD cars.
 #1535051  by Pensyfan19

A railfanner reported in this video that DM30AC 518 has returned to service after ping presumed scrapped out of service with engines 508 and 511. What other DM30ACs are currently out of service or scrapped other than 503 and 511?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... FAtFHF9Sxa
 #1535053  by photobug56

Don't know but it sounds like good news. Are your counts and numbers noting the DM30AC that after a fire had its inverter removed turning it into a DE (but lower HP)?
 #1535071  by Backshophoss

Wonder how long this "Part=Bashed" unit will stay in service?
A reminder LIRR uses brush and paint rollers,the paint booth was torn down with the Morris Park shop complex.
 #1535121  by Pensyfan19

Backshophoss wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:03 am A reminder LIRR uses brush and paint rollers,the paint booth was torn down with the Morris Park shop complex.
Well THAT explains why when repainted, 505, 522, 405 and 404 only have a shade of blue on the front without the MTA logo. Why did they tear down the paint booth? Budget cut?