Railroad Forums 

• Storage per diem rate

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#1531933  by Dcell

I’m wondering how much a railroad charges to store a standard boxcar per day from another railroad? Is the rate uniform for all railroads or can a railroad charge whatever it wants to store another railroads boxcar on its system?
 #1532091  by ExCon90

Do you mean storing cars at the request of the owning railroad? Normally any railroad wants to get rid of any foreign cars on its lines if it doesn't have a prospective load for them, since it's paying "per diem" (per hour instead of per day for some years now) to the owning road until it can interchange the cars back to the owner. There have been cases under past ICC regulation where a small shortline had more cars than it could physically accommodate if they all returned home when business was way down, but today, as far as I know if a railroad has many surplus cars it will find someplace to store them on its own rails--even in some cases to the extent of clogging up passing sidings to the detriment of revenue traffic.
 #1532153  by R&DB

Try contacting NJSL in Tuckerton. They store lots of cars for other companys. Not sure, but I think SRNJ in Winslow Jct does as well.
 #1532238  by eolesen

Anecdotally I've heard storage runs about $10/day per car with some minimums for handling.
 #1532441  by R&DB

R&DB wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:00 pm Try contacting NJSL in Tuckerton. They store lots of cars for other companys. Not sure, but I think SRNJ in Winslow Jct does as well.
That should have been NJSL in Tuckahoe. My mistake.
 #1540555  by BR&P

eolesen wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:07 am Anecdotally I've heard storage runs about $10/day per car with some minimums for handling.
Rates must have gone way up, less than 10 years ago it was about $1 to $2 per day. A railroad with track available is free to make whatever agreement they wish with a car owner.
 #1540569  by eolesen

I think rates jumped a bit. The drop-off in frac sand and the massive decreases in coal traffic created a lot of demand for storage that wasn't there ten years ago.
 #1540636  by BR&P

That could very well be. I can tell you that there are those who USED to be in car storage who no longer are, but are bemoaning the fact given the increased demand.