Railroad Forums 

• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1530762  by charlesriverbranch

charlesriverbranch wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:58 pm I'm at Boston's South Station. On track 2 right now there is an Amtrak train consisting of a diesel, a single Amfleet coach, and another diesel. Can anyone tell me what this might be?
On closer examination, it's not a coach. It's a Northeast Regional cafe car.
 #1530780  by nomis

That consist sounds like a typical BOS protect set in case there are issues with the winds yesterday and today.
 #1530855  by gregorygrice

charlesriverbranch wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:58 pm I'm at Boston's South Station. On track 2 right now there is an Amtrak train consisting of a diesel, a single Amfleet coach, and another diesel. Can anyone tell me what this might be?
Either a BON-BOS transfer run or BOS Protect. The coach allows them to run MAS.
 #1530881  by WhartonAndNorthern

charlesriverbranch wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:01 am
nomis wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:54 am That consist sounds like a typical BOS protect set in case there are issues with the winds yesterday and today.
What does it protect?
A protect set is a rescue train: it "protects" the schedule by rescuing trains and keeping them from fouling the tracks and delaying other trains. Likely the two engines are so it can easily change directions. The extra car is so it counts as a "full train" and not a group of locomotives which have a lower speed limit than a full train.
 #1530905  by Tadman

mtuandrew wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:41 pm
Tadman wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:58 am For the last week or two there's been an NPCU at the New Orleans locomotive shop. This is odd because no service here operates with an NPCU. Perhaps a refugee from the Flyer, maybe here for work since there is no shop in Fort Worth?
Would be useful if Alabama ever approves funding for the Gulf Breeze.
I spoke to some guys in San Antonio today. 90228, along with Phase 2 #130, were dropped there by the Sunset this morning. They will ride north with the Eagle to Fort Worth where 130 becomes the protect and 90228 rides the a** end of the Flyer now. 156 leads.
 #1531023  by gregorygrice

planespotting wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:09 pm Hickory Creek was waiting near the front of the PATH Maintenance Facility in Harrison, NJ today. Is that the only place for private varnish to be serviced when leaving from NY Penn Station? Why not Sunnyside Yard in Queens?
The car is in transit (deadhead). Hudson Yard is where PVs are interchanged between Amtrak and M&E. When on Amtrak, PVs are serviced at the same places their fleet is serviced.
 #1531046  by planespotting

Thanks for the info guys! All very helpful and makes sense. I've seen lots of PVs there so M&E must have a nice side business taking them to storage and back. BTW, greg your pics on railpictures website are amazing. I haven't seen many folks cover the industrial areas you cover. Never got the chance to thank you. They are much appreciated.
 #1534092  by jhdeasy

jhdeasy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:35 pm PV photo opportunity:

Super Bowl LIV
MOUNT VERNON (PPCX 800708)
train 91(31) NYP to MIA
train 98(05) MIA to NYP
While passing thru Avon Park FL (between Winter Haven and Sebring), I noticed a Budd built lightweight passenger car on display at a small museum on the east side of the tracks. At first I thought it was a former Seaboard car, but I was in error. SILVER PALM is one of the Western Pacific cars from the California Zephyr, a 16 section sleeper later rebuilt to a 48 seat coach. It did serve Florida as part of the original Autotrain.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trainhunters/8331298566

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=3888103