Railroad Forums 

• Current M&E Roster

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1530419  by DogBert

Here's a copy of Rudy's old (2017) roster from further up the thread - he was working with M&E and I believe has since left. I've taken a swing at some updates, from what I saw last year and have read online:

C424 #18 - Sold - IL rail museum
C424 #19 - Sold - Tri-State HS
SW1500 #20 - In service @ morristown
RS1 #21 - OOS at Whippany, RRPX-owned
GP9M #22 - Stored somewhere around morristown
GP7u #23 - Stored somewhere around morristown
GP7u #24 (former # BAR 21) - Stored somewhere around morristown? Or is this the one that ended up on the Housy in CT? If so it never made it to home rails.
GP9 #25 (former #BAR 79) - Stored somewhere around morristown?
GP7 #100 - Still stored @ the old Wharton & Northern yard.
FL9 #485 - Scrapped?
FL9 #488 - In Morristown?
FL9 #489 - In Morristown?
SW1200 #557 - In Morristown RRPX-owned (FOR SALE)
SW1200 #559 - In Morristown RRPX-owned (FOR SALE)
SW1200 #563 - Still stored @ the old Wharton & Northern yard. RRPX-owned (FOR SALE)
GP9 #764 - In Morristown RRPX-owned
M420 #3573 - SOLD
C424 #4204 - SOLD - in Scranton if I recall right
Plymouth #7299 - SVC in Morristown, owned by the Military Transport Association

This makes the RSI 21 the only Alco left on the property. I'm glad the other Alcos got out, given how they cut up some of the others not on this list (CP 4321 comes to mind).

The ones listed 'FOR SALE' were on sale as of Rudy's update I would assume the same holds true today.

Given the surplus of more modern locomotives on the market via class 1s, I'd be a little surprised if any of the GPs or ex Amtrak SW's find buyers.

I didn't include the 'new' Ex NS units on this list.

Was #22 the one that was supposed to get a sulzer engine? The last I saw of it was two years back, located on one of the old sidings along the route, buried deep in a cut of derelict passenger cars and one of the FL9s (maybe 485).

I'm surprised the RR is hanging onto all the old passenger cars tucked into old sidings, considering the rent they could make off storing freight cars as other short lines are doing.
 #1530951  by Sid Farkus

I get the sense the M&E has been losing money over recent years. After losing the Morris County trackage to Chesapeake and Delaware, Bayway, and Maine Eastern; they haven't really gained any customers or revenue that would at least equal what they once had. Plus, you look at their recent roster (not painting equipment, selling off locos and passenger cars) it gives you the sense that the M&E may be circling the drain.
 #1531510  by backroadrails

It should be noted the M420W they had was also sold off recently along with the ME caboose. I know CMQ is being purchased by CP, but I wonder if M&E will bother trying to bid on the branch again.
 #1531540  by NHV 669

backroadrails wrote: It should be noted
as it already has been twice on this page.
backroadrails wrote: but I wonder if M&E will bother trying to bid on the branch again.
Amtrak is more likely to be seen running passenger trains than anyone else on the Rockland; sooner than later. Why would M&E waste time bidding on a contract they already lost to a non-passenger carrier?
 #1534697  by DogBert

Went by M&E today and saw zero locomotives loafing around (except the three on the dead line by the NJT connection). Did they sell anything else recently?
 #1552722  by TSTII

"GP7u #23 - Stored somewhere around Morristown"

Observed #23 idling in Morristown this morning while undergoing light maintenance. She's a little faded but still looks very good. Hope she's not being prepped for a new owner :(
 #1552766  by eustis22

What happened to the Maine Eastern F-units? I took one of the last rides on the Maine Eastern and the F-unit paint scheme owns me.
 #1552977  by DogBert

Last I saw both Maine Eastern FL9s were occasionally used on the museum trains.

563 & MMA 100 are still tucked in at the wharton and northern yard. There's also 4 or 5 passenger cars back there, along with a half dozen ex Amtrak MMC boxcars. All of the passenger cars have been pretty well vandalized.
 #1553447  by jhdeasy

Sid Farkus wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:37 am I get the sense the M&E has been losing money over recent years. After losing the Morris County trackage to Chesapeake and Delaware, Bayway, and Maine Eastern; they haven't really gained any customers or revenue that would at least equal what they once had. Plus, you look at their recent roster (not painting equipment, selling off locos and passenger cars) it gives you the sense that the M&E may be circling the drain.
The Polar Express trains, where the M&E acts as a subcontractor to the theatrical production company, generates some very substantial revenue.

It will be interesting to see what restrictions the state/county health officials impose on the 2020 Polar Express trains. A maximum allowed occupancy limitation (maybe 50 percent of capacity?) would surely be harmful to revenue.
 #1554615  by thebigham

Webb Rail LLC - WEBX on Facebook:

Ten more axles!!! Webb Rail’s has added to its fleet, acquiring from the Morristown and Erie Railway a pair of EMD FL9s: former Amtrak 488 (née-New Haven 2016) Amtrak 489 (née-New Haven 2021) to have some company for WEBX 2024 (née-New Haven 2058).

The engines will remain at the M&E through next spring. And yes, we are considering all former paint schemes worn by these units for future application.

Included in the deal, Amtrak 485 (née-New Haven 2010) is not operable, but will be used as a parts donor for the other three units.
 #1554657  by DogBert

Nice. 485 I believe is the one tucked in behind M&E 22 and some passenger cars behind an office park. It's very beat up.