Railroad Forums 

• NYP Penn Station South

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1530278  by Rockingham Racer

Kelly&Kelly wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:22 am Fake news. Perhaps someone should pay some attention to the 110 year old rotting, leaking tunnels first.
Fake? No. Cuomo is real serious. Perhaps, unrealistic, but serious. BTW, Cuomo took a tour of the tunnels, so I guess he's paying attention.
 #1530295  by Jeff Smith

How would the track connections to LIRR work? I'm pretty sure those tracks as envisioned were stub tracks for incoming trains from NJT and Amtrak.
 #1530302  by Yankees1

See below for article; pretty big news. A forgotten note about Gateway is that even if it is built, NJT and Amtrak can't expand service without more tracks.

https://www.nj.com/traffic/2020/01/penn ... m-nyc.html
A long-awaited plan to build addition south of Penn Station New York, adding more tracks and platforms, will form a mega-station complex in mid-Manhattan, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Monday.

Cuomo, speaking at the Association for a Better New York event in Manhattan, announced the sweeping plan to change Penn Station’s reputation from one of “Dante’s levels of hell” under his Empire Station District plan. It builds on opening a new train hall at the Moynihan Station across the street, which will accommodate Amtrak and Long Island Rail Road passengers.

"No little fix works. We analyzed it and the best alternative is to acquire the block south of Penn Station and add eight tracks,” Cuomo said. “Penn can’t even handle our planned growth. It would address that.”
“Empire State Development will work with Amtrak and the MTA and stakeholders,” Cuomo said. "It will work with NJ Transit and community boards to develop a plan.”
 #1530303  by RailTrek

Jeff Smith wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:16 am How would the track connections to LIRR work? I'm pretty sure those tracks as envisioned were stub tracks for incoming trains from NJT and Amtrak.
That's what I was thinking. In the original plans for Penn South, these new platforms were connected to new tracks from ARC. You would have to branch out from 10th Ave to make. The approach proper to/from NJ. And if it were to have access to Long Island?? Going to be interesting to see
 #1530311  by DutchRailnut

the extra tracks (Penn south) would avoid a lot of deadhead moves to Sunny side or Meadow lands, and yes it was all part of gateway project. basically extending the area of old post office tracks .
 #1530332  by EuroStar

I am not sure if this is really going to happen. NY state building a new station for NJT and Amtrak? Sounds a little crazy to me.

There is no easy way to connect any of the new tracks to the tunnels going east to Long Island, so unless there is an unannounced plan for new East River tunnels, why is NY going to spend billions of dollars to build a terminal for NJT? While Amtrak has said that it will contribute money, NJ has said nothing. The new tracks also cannot connect to the existing North River tunnels, so until the new tunnels under the Hudson are built, the utility of this is zero. Cuomo will be out of the governor mansion before this has any chance to happen even if he runs for another term. This sounds more of a political posturing than a real plan to me.
 #1530337  by DutchRailnut

they really need not have access to long island , just providing extra space to NJT will free up platforms on north side for LIRR and Amtrak.
 #1530350  by Arlington

I wish we had a link to his presentation, but we do have this from Newsday:
 #1530382  by RRspatch

Jeff Smith wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:16 am How would the track connections to LIRR work? I'm pretty sure those tracks as envisioned were stub tracks for incoming trains from NJT and Amtrak.
I'm guessing the purpose of "Penn South" is to get NJT trains off of the through tracks clearing up space for Metro North New Haven line and Hudson Line trains into Penn station. This would also increase space for more frequent NYC to Albany service.
 #1530392  by fender52

Everybody is saying that this is a great improvement for capacity, but, how are they getting the trains into the station? I haven't seen where they are doing anything for the Hudson and East River tunnels.

You may have have extra tracks in the station, but you'll still wait to get them out.