Railroad Forums 

• LIRR Mainline Third Track Project

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1529053  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

By special arrangement the Long Island Sunrise Trail Chapter-NRHS had our monthly meeting at the Third
Track Project Community Information Center for November. The Center is located at 114 Old Country Road
in Mineola which is between Willis Avenue and Roslyn Road across from the Nassau County Court building.

The Community Information Center is open to the public Tuesday and Thursday from 10 AM to 1 PM and on
Wednesday from 12 Noon to 4 PM except holidays (both Christmas and New Year's Day this season).
I strongly suggest a visit if anyone is interested in the Third Track Project construction.

I was able to get a Construction Activity CAM map which shows a timeline of the various projects planned or
under way as of July 2019 in which I can share some information on grade crossing and bridges. Some dates have been further revised in the last six months (December 2019)
DISCLAIMER: **ALL DATES ARE FORECASTS WHICH ARE TENTATIVE AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE**

Plainfield Avenue Bridge (FP-single 3rd track bridge) January to March 2020

Linden Avenue Pedestrian Underpass (FP) - December 2019 to March 2020

South 12th Street (NHP) Grade Crossing Elimination: January to March 2021;
Pre-cast underpass placement February 2021.

New Hyde Park Road Grade Crossing Elimination: Roll in bridge July 2020; Road open
September 2020

Denton Avenue Bridge Replacement: July-August (roll in bridge) 2021.

Main Street-Mineola Crossing full closure (no replacement) February to April 2021.

Willis Avenue Crossings - Fall 2020: Main Line Roll-In Bridge October 2020; Oyster
Bay Branch Roll-In Bridge November 2020; Road Closure August 2020 to February 2021

Glen Cove Road Bridge Replacement - April/May 2020 (bridge roll in)

Meadowbrook Parkway Bridge Replacement: Preparation work begins in March 2020
with the bridge reconstruction set for October 2020.

School Street Crossing-Westbury: Fall 2020 (Roll-In Bridge September 2020; Road
Open November 2020)

Roll In Bridges require a single weekend track outage - exact dates to be announced

With this I will wish everyone the best for the current Holiday Season and a happy
2020 ahead - again it will be interesting to see what changes are forthcoming...

MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #1529104  by MACTRAXX

TP: The maps and dates are from the CAM Maps - which I was able to get a paper copy packet of dated July 2019.
The information that I posted above yesterday was from that source - there has been some changes...

I remember the mention during our LIST-NRHS presentation that there was going to be some revisions to
projects and timelines for 2020 that were being worked out at the time. These CAM maps dated December 2019 do show them...

I have made changes in my previous post to show these revisions where necessary.
MACTRAXX
 #1529214  by MattAmity90

MACTRAXX wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:17 am TP: The maps and dates are from the CAM Maps - which I was able to get a paper copy packet of dated July 2019.
The information that I posted above yesterday was from that source - there has been some changes...

I remember the mention during our LIST-NRHS presentation that there was going to be some revisions to
projects and timelines for 2020 that were being worked out at the time. These CAM maps dated December 2019 do show them...

I have made changes in my previous post to show these revisions where necessary.
MACTRAXX
I know a roll-in bridge is one that is going to be constructed on site (Covert and Urban), while bridges such as Glen Cove and Denton will be off-site. I'm guessing Meadowbrook will be rehabilitated?

Is FP, Fixed Place?
 #1529460  by MACTRAXX

MattAmity90 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:10 pm
MACTRAXX wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:17 am TP: The maps and dates are from the CAM Maps - which I was able to get a paper copy packet of dated July 2019.

MACTRAXX
I know a roll-in bridge is one that is going to be constructed on site (Covert and Urban), while bridges such as Glen Cove and Denton will be off-site. I'm guessing Meadowbrook will be rehabilitated?

Is FP, Fixed Place?
MA90: I received an email from the Third Track Construction team (12/20)
showing 2019 in review this past week:
https://lirrexpansion.com/2019/12/20/se ... ilestones/

FP stands for Floral Park - I should have used the three letter code FPK instead.

I do not know as of now if the Meadowbrook Parkway Bridge will be replaced outright
or modified in place to add the additional third track. In this case looking at the CAM
Map for that project over the course of 2019 will be the way to see how this unfolds.

MACTRAXX
 #1529796  by CTG

bellstbarn wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:26 pm The LIRR has tweeted suspension of service New Hyde Park to Hicksville again January 4, 2020, to install a switch. Which switch?
According to the cover of the .pdf timetables on the LIRR website for that weekend, the switch is being installed "west of Merillon Avenue".

"Due to switch installation work west of Merillon Avenue, trains will operate on adjusted schedules and have affected connections. Some Friday night service is affected as well. There will be no service between New Hyde Park and Hicksville. Please refer to the notes panel on the inside of this timetable for more information."
 #1529819  by bellstbarn

This seems to me to be no mere replacement of a crossover. A crossover with two tracks is rather simple, involving only four switches, but you thereby allow all possible moves. With three tracks, maybe this will be a limited-move crossover, from local track to express or express to local in one direction only (again four switches). If they want an all-moves-possible crossover, I count eight switches and a very long distance end-to-end, maybe more than can be accommodated between New Hyde Park and Merillon Avenue stations. Obviously, I'm amateur.
 #1529863  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: It turns out that the Main Line switch replacement trackwork is going to be for FIVE Saturdays:
January 4, 11, 18; February 1, 8. There will be no service between Floral Park and Hicksville with alternate
routing in the same manner as previous Main Line track outages over the course of 2019.

http://web.mta.info/supplemental/lirr/n ... y-2020.htm

Happy New Year All!!! MACTRAXX
 #1530005  by MattAmity90

BM6569 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:50 pm Eng recently said the third track project has been on time and under budget so far.
One of the main reasons that it is like that is because of a construction innovation from Italy. They used it to eliminate Urban and Covert Avenues, and they will be using it at School Street and New Hyde Park Road. The process of Box-Jacking, which is astounding to see in time-lapse. They have widened the ROW with the sound walls in between FPK and NHP, along Merillon Avenue, near Herricks Road, Carle Place, and the North side near Urban Avenue.

I found out that for the Meadowbrook Parkway, they will NOT be replacing the bridge, they will add a third abutment for the third track. We were thinking of Glen Cove Road's bridge.
 #1530057  by LB

The temporary New Hyde Park station is near completion. They used a scaffolding type base with wooden flooring, wood passenger shelters and stairs. There is a non-skid layer over the top of the wood decking, and yellow tactile edges with raised bumps at the trackside edge of the platform. They were painting parts of the station as well last week. There are black gap warning signs with white letters interspaced between the station name signs (black letters/white background). Lighting is aluminum poles with cup shaped light globes close to the pole. Platform extends from 10+ feet west of 12th street to east of Covert Avenue bridge. When the existing station is upgraded, will only the south platform be demolished or both north & south platforms razed?
 #1530082  by MattAmity90

LB wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:24 am The temporary New Hyde Park station is near completion. They used a scaffolding type base with wooden flooring, wood passenger shelters and stairs. There is a non-skid layer over the top of the wood decking, and yellow tactile edges with raised bumps at the trackside edge of the platform. They were painting parts of the station as well last week. There are black gap warning signs with white letters interspaced between the station name signs (black letters/white background). Lighting is aluminum poles with cup shaped light globes close to the pole. Platform extends from 10+ feet west of 12th street to east of Covert Avenue bridge. When the existing station is upgraded, will only the south platform be demolished or both north & south platforms razed?
A few things I realized and some answers that will satisfy the questions.

1.) If only they constructed the temporary station platforms when they elevated the Babylon Branch in the current way. Think of all the wood we could have saved!

2.) Both platforms will be demolished because it has been done at Merillon Avenue and Carle Place (which has canopy supports erected).

3.) The platforms will have to be demolished because they are going to turn the 12th Street crossing into a pedestrian overpass, and as they eliminate the New Hyde Park Road crossing, a temporary crossing will be set up to the West as construction commences.