Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1528339  by EuroStar

No reason to worry about the tunnels or the bridges below Croton. Those would never get catenary. The extra cost would never be justified and the NIMBYs are going to be too strong against the poles messing up their views of the Hudson. North of Croton is much easier, but it is really dependent on the state whether it wants to pony up the money for the catenary and realistically I do not see it. It is a lot of wire to justify it up to Poughkeepsie or Albany. Diesels it will be for my and your lifetime. The diesels will probably get some Tesla like batteries to address the gaping issue across switches, but wire ... I do not see it.
 #1528440  by Jeff Smith

A few years back, it MAY have been mentioned in a 20-year plan by MNRR. I'm pretty sure it was for third rail, not catenary. Catenary makes no sense at all for MNRR, and either would require an EIS that would take years and generate much opposition.
 #1528506  by Rockingham Racer

Jeff Smith wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:34 am A few years back, it MAY have been mentioned in a 20-year plan by MNRR. I'm pretty sure it was for third rail, not catenary. Catenary makes no sense at all for MNRR, and either would require an EIS that would take years and generate much opposition.
When I used to hang out at JO Tower in Woodlawn, the rumor was on the move then, too. That was around 1970.
 #1529418  by nomis

Mod Note: moved the Danbury Re-electrification talk to the Danbury thread which has the study and historical info in the 20+ some pages.