Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Diner and Food Service Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1525244  by STrRedWolf

mtuandrew wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:46 pm
lordsigma12345 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:08 pm One thing the summaries didn’t mention was that after saying he “appreciates that” he said something like “and I think we should invest in that on a few stellar routes.” Maybe that means it’ll stay on at least a couple western long distance routes. I’m guessing this alludes to the “experiential service level” they’ve hinted at in the 5 year plans.
Builder, Zephyr definitely; you could make a case for any of the others too, but I’d guess the Chief.
I can make the case for trains that span three days. Overnight trains, through, are the issue.
 #1525336  by TCurtin

This is an item I put on another thread. I am intentionally "quoting myself" here, since this discussion evidently has a large following:

This sounds interesting. The email is quoted verbatim.............

(Note, the trip we are taking is correctly stated)

"We have exciting news to share with you about your upcoming trip on [Trains 51 and 50] to White Sulphur Springs WV.

"Starting October 1 we will be debuting a new dining experience aboard your train --- made exclusively available for Sleeping
car customers. Here is what you can expect when you are onboard:

" - A new dining menu with hot, ready to serve choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner
- A wide selection of wine, beer and spirits (The first one is on us) plus unlimited soft drinks
throughout your journey
- Complimentary room service provided by your sleeping car attendant
- Exclusive onboard lounge space for sleeping car customers to dine and socialize 24x7
- Flexible dining times without the need for reservations

" Sample menus can be found at Amtrak.com/flexdining.

" We look forward to seeing you on board."

Well, should we be as excited as the email says? Also, I was wondering, is this service upgrade unique to The Cardinal ?
 #1527238  by Gilbert B Norman

Somewhere, Col. Perkowski started a topic regarding railroad recipies, and if appropriate, to merge this posting with such:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/dining-car-food

A gentleman, Ira Silverman, whom I have met "along the way", has donated an extensive collection of Dining Car menus to Northwestern University, and which has "digitized" such.

Should make for an interesting reference source.
 #1527608  by David Benton

Why does the garden salad have the note it is complimentary for sleeping car passengers? Aren't all dishes complimentary for sleepers? I can only think they mean they can order it in addition to their main dish for free?
 #1527622  by mtuandrew

David Benton wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:40 am Why does the garden salad have the note it is complimentary for sleeping car passengers? Aren't all dishes complimentary for sleepers? I can only think they mean they can order it in addition to their main dish for free?
I think you’re exactly right in that it’s a complimentary side dish for sleeper passengers along with their prepaid entrée. That’s normal in American sit-down restaurants, where you’re usually offered a choice between “garden” salad (small, no protein and few toppings), french fries (chips in British parlance), and possibly mixed warm vegetables or a baked potato. An entree (large) salad may or may not offer side dishes, often bread.

I guess coach passengers need to buy their own sides.
Last edited by mtuandrew on Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1527631  by JimBoylan

I think the need for the Garden Salad note is because it is not complimentary for coach passengers, but a separate charge for them. Of course, they could have said the same about non alcoholic beverages.
 #1527736  by STrRedWolf

superstar wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:57 pm
lordsigma12345 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:02 pm There's a new menu for the western trains:

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... u-1119.pdf

No changes to the meal choices - this change is exclusively to reflect the coke and wine vendor change.
"Coke-Cola" soft drinks

They had one job!
To be honest, I saw "coke and wine vendor change" and thought "Wait, I can get illegal drugs on the train?!? They really must be baaaaaaaaaad..." :)