Railroad Forums 

• AEM-7 status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1526846  by Silverliner II

2301 and 2307 have been working two of the three wash trains this fall.

2302 had been OOS for a number of months even before the AEM-7's were removed from passenger service with with a failed compressor.
 #1526907  by ApproachMedium

Silverliner II wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:02 pm 2301 and 2307 have been working two of the three wash trains this fall.

2302 had been OOS for a number of months even before the AEM-7's were removed from passenger service with with a failed compressor.
boy i know where they can get a brandy new in the box compressor.
 #1527045  by Silverliner II

ApproachMedium wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:56 am
Silverliner II wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:02 pm 2301 and 2307 have been working two of the three wash trains this fall.

boy i know where they can get a brandy new in the box compressor.
I have to correct myself. 2304 and 2307 are on the wash trains... not 2301.
 #1527202  by ApproachMedium

All 15 units successfully moved to Wilmington shops today. Saturday they will be moved to Hudson yard for the 2 move staging to pass over metro north. They have a 12 motor limit so they will need to be split and run to new haven motor storage.
 #1527222  by EuroStar

ApproachMedium wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:15 am Saturday they will be moved to Hudson yard for the 2 move staging to pass over metro north. They have a 12 motor limit so they will need to be split and run to new haven motor storage.
Excuse the curious, but what is the reason for the 12 motor limit? Something to do with 12 powered cars for EMUs that somehow snarls up deadhead motors too? It is not as if all if any of these motors will be moving under their own power.
 #1527226  by Tadman

Wasn't there a thing about substation capacity north of Providence isn't enough to run all Amtrak and MBTA traffic at once?
 #1527261  by electricron

ApproachMedium wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:15 am All 15 units successfully moved to Wilmington shops today. Saturday they will be moved to Hudson yard for the 2 move staging to pass over metro north. They have a 12 motor limit so they will need to be split and run to new haven motor storage.
I am at a loss why these 15 AEM7s are being moved? What is their final destination, and why?
 #1527269  by jonnhrr

Final destination is Davisville RI.
 #1527275  by NeedhamLine

If they are going to Davisville, that would support the theory that they may be used in some capacity by the MBTA and RIDOT. The T in the past has used Davisville/Seaview as a place to store and repair equipment - the MBB coaches leased to CTRail were rehabbed there. Not sure what repair capabilities Seaview would have for an electric loco, but they certainly have the space for work to be done.

Based on prior press coverage, we know that MA/RI were discussing leasing motors from Amtrak as recently as August, and since then the T's oversight board has made an official priority of electrifying the system, with the Providence line being part of Phase I, and a pretty clear mandate to move quickly. Even if the AEM-7ACs are leased for just a few years, that would provide a way for the T to show tangible process on the electrification front while all-new equipment is spec'd, designed and ordered.
 #1527313  by ApproachMedium

EuroStar wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:28 am
ApproachMedium wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:15 am Saturday they will be moved to Hudson yard for the 2 move staging to pass over metro north. They have a 12 motor limit so they will need to be split and run to new haven motor storage.
Excuse the curious, but what is the reason for the 12 motor limit? Something to do with 12 powered cars for EMUs that somehow snarls up deadhead motors too? It is not as if all if any of these motors will be moving under their own power.
I dont know what their 12 locomotive limit is all about, but unfortunately even with them being dead in tow it must be adheared to. They have not been bought or leased by any on person or authority and none of them are owned by Amtrak. All 15 units are currently under private ownership and being transported up there for storage since amtrak isnt being so good about storing things anymore with the need to park all this acela junk in 2 years.
Last edited by ApproachMedium on Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1527331  by ThirdRail7

They just wanted to make sure nothing went wrong and there aren't any issues. When they are towed from NHV to Davisville, they will operate as one move.

Additionally, I think the talk about RIDOT and MBTA may be premature. They're just being stored in Quonset Point for the outfit from the left coast that bought them. I don't know if the new owners will ultimately end up selling/leasing them to the T but I suppose it could happen.
 #1527367  by gokeefe

Thanks for the clarifications. Nice to eliminate the guess work and tea leaf reading.
 #1527415  by troffey

Tadman wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:45 am Wasn't there a thing about substation capacity north of Providence isn't enough to run all Amtrak and MBTA traffic at once?
There sure is. Sharon Substation was, according to conventional wisdom, built with all the space and preparation work done to have enough power, but Amtrak was only installing enough to power their requirements. The T/MassDOT has never ponied up to do their part of the work. I haven't seen the substation myself, but I'd assume that it would in the neighborhood of three to six months and the T could be up and running. Maybe less than that, depending on lead time for equipment and the work schedule.
 #1527481  by ApproachMedium

troffey wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:02 am
Tadman wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:45 am Wasn't there a thing about substation capacity north of Providence isn't enough to run all Amtrak and MBTA traffic at once?
There sure is. Sharon Substation was, according to conventional wisdom, built with all the space and preparation work done to have enough power, but Amtrak was only installing enough to power their requirements. The T/MassDOT has never ponied up to do their part of the work. I haven't seen the substation myself, but I'd assume that it would in the neighborhood of three to six months and the T could be up and running. Maybe less than that, depending on lead time for equipment and the work schedule.

True. And this could be done. The funds for this work will likely come from the VW Dieselgate money that many of the states got. It MUST be used for transportation purposes that would offset or replace the carbon emissions from the cars they sold. So anything zero emissions, such as electric vehicles and trains 100% qualifies.