Railroad Forums 

• AEM-7 status

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1526087  by dowlingm

The Montreal ALP45s might have a use in Boston especially if Bombardier could lease them to MBTA as complete trainsets paired with surplus Exo MLVs - NJT have done the work on qualifying the power with ACSES and the diesel could solve the issue of presently unwired sidings/platforms. Bombardier would presumably like to have another ALP45 customer as it loses Exo, if only while MBTA decides on a full-rollout power provider.

Mind you, Siemens have launched a Vectron pantograph dual mode and I doubt they would sit still while Bombardier cosied up to MBTA. But the 45 has a service history on NA rails (good and bad) and a DM Charger doesn’t.

I can’t see the same being as true for the MR90s. Wouldn’t figuring out the wiring for PTC alone be horrifically expensive for a fleet of 58 1994 era vehicles? Maybe less so if they were formed into fixed 8 car trainsets with only the end cabs given ACSES.
 #1526099  by Matt Johnson

dowlingm wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:58 pm The Montreal ALP45s might have a use in Boston especially if Bombardier could lease them to MBTA as complete trainsets paired with surplus Exo MLVs - NJT have done the work on qualifying the power with ACSES and the diesel could solve the issue of presently unwired sidings/platforms. Bombardier would presumably like to have another ALP45 customer as it loses Exo, if only while MBTA decides on a full-rollout power provider.
The Montreal units are listed as having a 65 mph top speed in diesel mode and 80 mph in electric mode (vs 100/125 for the NJT units). Is this a simple software fix or are the Montreal ones geared differently?
 #1526118  by dowlingm

hmm... didn’t know that but given the local infrastructure in Montreal it makes sense. But couldn’t regearing be done while the locos are getting their other mods?
 #1526138  by ApproachMedium

Matt Johnson wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:41 pm
dowlingm wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:58 pm The Montreal ALP45s might have a use in Boston especially if Bombardier could lease them to MBTA as complete trainsets paired with surplus Exo MLVs - NJT have done the work on qualifying the power with ACSES and the diesel could solve the issue of presently unwired sidings/platforms. Bombardier would presumably like to have another ALP45 customer as it loses Exo, if only while MBTA decides on a full-rollout power provider.
The Montreal units are listed as having a 65 mph top speed in diesel mode and 80 mph in electric mode (vs 100/125 for the NJT units). Is this a simple software fix or are the Montreal ones geared differently?
They are geared differently. this isnt a software change.
 #1526195  by mcgrath618

I have heard that SEPTA will be leasing some of the Montreal ALP45s for its Phoenixville return pilot.
 #1526196  by ApproachMedium

mcgrath618 wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:15 am I have heard that SEPTA will be leasing some of the Montreal ALP45s for its Phoenixville return pilot.
That will probably be the smartest thing septa has ever done.
 #1526592  by Backshophoss

That extension is still a pipe dream,NS has not signed off.
The ex-RDG grid is not as robust,still at 11kv 25 hz,the exAMT units need upgrade/ACSES
install
SEPTA is anti-diesel for ages.
 #1526601  by rcthompson04

Backshophoss wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:50 pm That extension is still a pipe dream,NS has not signed off.
The ex-RDG grid is not as robust,still at 11kv 25 hz,the exAMT units need upgrade/ACSES
install
SEPTA’s hand is being forced by local cash.
 #1526701  by mcgrath618

rcthompson04 wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:00 pm
Backshophoss wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:50 pm That extension is still a pipe dream,NS has not signed off.
install
Precisely. I have an inside source who has confirmed that it is happening.
 #1526738  by rcthompson04

mcgrath618 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:04 pm
install
Leslie Richards pushed hard for restoring rail to Phoenixville when in county government. Democrats ran in Bucks and Chester Counties on expanding and improving commuter rail service. The easiest way to do it is with dual modes providing rush hour service initially.
 #1526740  by mcgrath618

rcthompson04 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:52 pm
install
Leslie Richards pushed hard for restoring rail to Phoenixville when in county government. Democrats ran in Bucks and Chester Counties on expanding and improving commuter rail service. The easiest way to do it is with dual modes providing rush hour service initially.
NS agreed to play ball on the condition that the center track be restored up to Phoenixville, and that no wire is put up unless the pilot program is wildly successful.
 #1526747  by rcthompson04

mcgrath618 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:43 pm
rcthompson04 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:52 pm
install
NS agreed to play ball on the condition that the center track be restored up to Phoenixville, and that no wire is put up unless the pilot program is wildly successful.
That is the lesson of the story. Getting Class I "support" for passenger rail probably requires appealing to the thing that wins more hearts in all human endeavors... doing something for them. A third track is probably not necessary to restore such a service, but it makes NS have an easier life in general.
 #1526800  by ApproachMedium

NS would LOVE nothing more than to sell off more lines so of course they will allow the septa thing to happen.

With that, i wonder what will happen with septas aem7s? Id imagine if they lease these dual modes there will be really NO reason to keep them and they will finally go away
 #1526833  by Silverliner II

Regardless of what goes on... until the SEPTA Board approves... nothing is going to be happening, and even when it does, it will still have to go through the entire bureaucratic process, right up to getting into the capital budget, public hearings, environmental impact statements, station design, etc. We won't see any of this happen fast. Especially with the other stuff on SEPTA's plate.

If it does happen, I'd bet on 5 to 8 years before we see anything.
 #1526836  by mcgrath618

ApproachMedium wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:16 am NS would LOVE nothing more than to sell off more lines so of course they will allow the septa thing to happen.

With that, i wonder what will happen with septas aem7s? Id imagine if they lease these dual modes there will be really NO reason to keep them and they will finally go away
The SEPTA AEM-7s are currently in storage at Frazer Yard. 2301 is used occasionally on work trains.