Railroad Forums 

• stations that once exisited-

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1006239  by N4J

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Before you all start trying to make me look like the idiot,

http://www.reconnectingamerica.org/asse ... ice241.pdf

That is the study released in 2005 about restoration of Ampere, which will need to be redone anyway, considering the platform is collapsing within. I know it, because I took the photos I posted of it collapsing.
That was published back in 2005 , I'm not saying it won't get done. But EO hasn't moved on anything since 2008 , meaning we won't see anything Transit related till the 2020s or later...and knowing East Orange they tend to drag there feet abit. This part of the city is also very poor and has strong "Ghetto Community Groups aka Neighborhood groups who benefit Gangs ^ Criminals and are anti-Gentrification". These Groups have successfully derailed 15 projects in Newark and 3 in East Orange...the LRT project would go around these areas to the stable areas of EO and Bloomfield.
 #1006390  by TDowling

THe study said they would look into reconstructing industrial sites...I wonder if they mean the electrical plant from years ago across the street from Ampere station. Is it even there still?
 #1006456  by N4J

TDowling wrote:THe study said they would look into reconstructing industrial sites...I wonder if they mean the electrical plant from years ago across the street from Ampere station. Is it even there still?
That means they will convert those buildings to lofts or apartments with retail on the bottom. The Electrical plant is still there , its one of the few warehouses left in Urban Jersey that is in decent shape.
 #1006713  by N4J

Well the Harrison plans keep growing and changing , first it was just residential housing and some shops... Now its High rises surrounding the PATH station and 3-4 story condos everywhere else with retail on the ground floor. Everything south of I-280 will be demolished or incorporated into the redevelopments. A Riverfront walk will go up along the Passaic River from near the PATH yards to East Newark. Theres talk of a Streetcar to connect Harrison with Newark Penn station via the Ironbound and up to Kearny to take some the pressure off the bus system. The Apartment complex that was recently completed is already 90% leased , with the bottom floor retail having 2 out of the 3 locations leased aswell. Some big box chains like Target , and Staples have expressed interest in opening a Urban store which are muti-story buildings with a parking garage concealed in the back of the building or center like some of the plans call for. Unlike in Newark , there are no nimbys , so developments tend to get a little bigger then they should be and built. If your wondering why its taking so long , its not just one developer , its 7-8 developers trying to development in a tiny area. So the city is trying to ease the fast pace growth with allowing one or 2 developments a year so far. Although this rule should go away later this year when Hartz mountain or the beast is torn down and the largest of the redevelopments begins construction. The picture below is what most of New Harrison will look like in 15 years with the exception of the high rise area.

DSCN0388 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
 #1006789  by Ken W2KB

Who will finance all these future improvements? Rating agencies have in recent months slated Harrison as one of the most shaky financially in the nation.

In part:

"The Red Bull Arena has been billed as a $200 million spark to revive the blue-collar town whose fortunes have sagged. Officials made a bet years ago that new development would sprout in the arena’s shadow. In place of empty lots and silent factories, they envisioned condominiums filled by upscale commuters on the PATH line, and millions of square feet of commercial and retail space.

Then the financial crisis hit.

Now the $39.4 million borrowing binge to buy land for the stadium and redevelop the area around it is starting to come due, but Harrison’s ability to repay it has been thrown into question.

Moody’s sounded an alarm last year after expected revenues from Harrison’s redevelopment never materialized and the town was forced to borrow another $3.1 million to make its first debt payment. The alarm grew louder this spring when a bank that held Harrison’s notes in the past balked at holding more."

Article in full: http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/20 ... nd_cr.html

The 90% leased statistic can cut two ways - one that there is great potential, or two that the pent up demand was satisfied by the new building with not much demand remaining.
 #1006887  by TDowling

The article mentioned that the soccer team and Harrison are fighting over almost $3 million. Should be interesting to see who will get it in the appeals court; even if the latter party does get it, it wouldn't really matter in the long run as it seems the town is in debt up to their eyeballs.
 #1006972  by N4J

Well work has just started on phase 3,4 , & 5 , aside from the Hartz site , Harrison really isn't doing anything its the developers...
 #1524905  by erie910

There were two stations on the Erie Main Line that were closed before NJT/NJ DOT became involved in rail operations or funding: Lakeview and Prospect Street. Another that no longer exists is South Paterson, formerly a Newark Branch station and then a Main Line/Newark Branch station and then a Main Line station for a few years. The NJ & NY, before it became the Pascack Valley Line, had a station at Carlstadt (MP 9.7). I think that there was a Moonachie station, which was combined with the Wood-Ridge station before 1963. Was the North Hackensack station renamed "New Bridge Landing"? The Hasbrouck Heights (Willliams Av.) station appears to be renamed as "Teterboro." The Hasbrouck Heights station at MP 11.6 is gone--it was .6 mile from the Williams Av. station.

Then there are the stations on the branches which no longer exist or which no longer have passenger service, such as all the Newark Branch stations, the Greenwood Lake stations east of Montclair, Paterson Marshall Street, the Northern Branch stations, the Cleveland-Youngstown line, and Carlton Hill.
 #1525921  by Paul1705

N4J wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:52 pm
OportRailfan wrote:
Nexis4Jersey wrote:South Street in Newark will be a future stop on the PATH extension to EWR. ...
I doubt that, as there are no plans for it. Cliff is there and I doubt Amtrak wants people near that CIH.
The City of Newark can dream....can't it?
I assume the PATH extension will be a separate right-of-way - over McCarter Highway? I don't know where else it would fit.

I would think Newark would make an "economic justice" argument for a station around South Street. It is true that there is more housing now within walking distance then there used to be.
 #1525932  by Ken W2KB

Paul1705 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:11 pm
N4J wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:52 pm
OportRailfan wrote:
Nexis4Jersey wrote:South Street in Newark will be a future stop on the PATH extension to EWR. ...
I doubt that, as there are no plans for it. Cliff is there and I doubt Amtrak wants people near that CIH.
The City of Newark can dream....can't it?
I assume the PATH extension will be a separate right-of-way - over McCarter Highway? I don't know where else it would fit.

I would think Newark would make an "economic justice" argument for a station around South Street. It is true that there is more housing now within walking distance then there used to be.
PATH would simply extend its two track yard that ends at South Street. There is sufficient room between the edge of the NEC embankment and the travel lane of McCarter Highway.
 #1526243  by lensovet

Ken W2KB wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:21 pm PATH would simply extend its two track yard that ends at South Street. There is sufficient room between the edge of the NEC embankment and the travel lane of McCarter Highway.
though they'd need to then further extend the tracks so as not to lose the storage capacity…
 #1526258  by MaRoFu

The most problematic part of extending the PATH south is having to go under the Route 21 bridge while also passing over the Raritan Valley Line and the old LVRR. Everything else besides that is mostly smooth sailing, although some modifications may be needed for McCarter Highway south of the former South Street station site.
 #1526282  by andrewjw

MaRoFu wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:51 pm The most problematic part of extending the PATH south is having to go under the Route 21 bridge while also passing over the Raritan Valley Line and the old LVRR. Everything else besides that is mostly smooth sailing, although some modifications may be needed for McCarter Highway south of the former South Street station site.
PATH already has some steep routing in and out of Newark Penn. I don't expect this will cause issues.
I am curious if they will make the LVRR flyover also be the location of the NEC flyover in order to use the land reserved for PATH between the NEC and the AirTrain. If not, they might have to take land from the container terminal to extend the walkway (probably not an issue). It doesn't make sesne to cross over before the LVRR overpass because of the freight sidings there.