Railroad Forums 

• Railroad Chick Sherri Hine named C66??

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1525263  by nyandw

C66 marked as "Railroad Chick Sherri Hine" appears to be in Garden City at the Stewart Ave. storage area.

1. Appears to be from the September 10, 1989 the LIRR operated an excursion for the Long Island Sunrise Trail chapter of the NRHS but, haven't seen this unit in action.
2. Is this/was a named unit or temporary honor?
3. Was the unit stored before/after the event?
4. Info on Ms Hine? I have this: :...a Conductor on the LIRR, and has worked the yards and work trains for many years ..."
5. Other photos?

Thanks!
Attachments:
Mike Pedian Sitting in Holbin today_ C-66_ 10-11-2019.jpg
Mike Pedian Sitting in Holbin today_ C-66_ 10-11-2019.jpg (192.22 KiB) Viewed 3097 times
 #1525271  by cr9617

That picture was taken on the "Smith Chemical" siding in Upper Holban yard which has been its home for many years and where it currently sits today. It was recently moved north closer to Liberty Ave. because of a derailment on the switch in front of it, but that's another story. Before that it kinda just floated around Holban Yard and Dunkirk Yard as space permitted.

C66 was restored by a place down south, I wanna say Roanoke Virginia, in the late 80s early 90s, I can't remember, but it used to say the company name and info on one of the ends by the door. It was repainted in 2014 by MofE forces but since the LIRR lacks a paint shop it was done with brush and roller and is badly faded today. The "Long Island" and "C-66" was all done by hand with a brush which was quite impressive. It also lost its underbody generator and the onboard water tanks and some piping during the repaint. It is an unofficial honor, done by the same crew who did the repaint.

The info on Ms. Hine is correct.

As far as I know c-66 has never been used since its repaint. Sometime last year it was decided that the Loram Rail Vac should operate with a shoving platform so the operator and pilot wouldn't have to ride the MSF40 car during reverse moves. Objections were raised as c-66 is in excellent shape and mofE would like to keep it that way. Instead it was decided that c-69 would be put back into service and outfitted with the necessary headlights and marker lights. It is currently back out of service after lead was found in the interior paint and is pending remediation.

I have photos of the interior of c-66 from my old phone that I will try and find.
 #1525313  by newkirk

Any idea the date of the Holban yard photo ?
 #1525327  by nyandw

cr9617 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:18 am "...C66 was restored by a place down south, I wanna say, Roanoke Virginia, in the late 80s early 90s, I can't remember, but it used to say the company name and info on one of the ends by the door.
Blue Ridge Southern owned by Watco Holdings., perhaps??
 #1525342  by cr9617

I know I took a couple of general interior shots but I can't find them. The interior is an ugly brown color with brown carpet.

These are from 2013 right before it was cleaned and repainted.
IMG_20130529_093607_621bright.jpg
IMG_20130529_093607_621bright.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 2874 times
IMG_20130529_093651_721.jpg
IMG_20130529_093651_721.jpg (507.25 KiB) Viewed 2874 times
 #1525345  by 4behind2

Sherri Hine McKenna is the Conductor of the YFD 201 which is based in Holban Yard. She has been there for a number of years now.

C66 was rebuilt during the Hoppe Administration as the "business car", but was not used that way.
 #1527316  by nyandw

cr9617 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:18 am That picture was taken on the "Smith Chemical" siding in Upper Holban yard which has been its home for many years and where it currently sits today. It was recently moved north closer to Liberty Ave. because of a derailment on the switch in front of it, but that's another story. Before that it kinda just floated around Holban Yard and Dunkirk Yard as space permitted.

C66 was restored by a place down south, I wanna say Roanoke Virginia, in the late 80s early 90s, I can't remember, but it used to say the company name and info on one of the ends by the door. It was repainted in 2014 by MofE forces but since the LIRR lacks a paint shop it was done with brush and roller and is badly faded today. The "Long Island" and "C-66" was all done by hand with a brush which was quite impressive. It also lost its underbody generator and the onboard water tanks and some piping during the repaint. It is an unofficial honor, done by the same crew who did the repaint.

The info on Ms. Hine is correct.

As far as I know c-66 has never been used since its repaint. Sometime last year it was decided that the Loram Rail Vac should operate with a shoving platform so the operator and pilot wouldn't have to ride the MSF40 car during reverse moves. Objections were raised as c-66 is in excellent shape and mofE would like to keep it that way. Instead it was decided that c-69 would be put back into service and outfitted with the necessary headlights and marker lights. It is currently back out of service after lead was found in the interior paint and is pending remediation.

I have photos of the interior of c-66 from my old phone that I will try and find.
Can you indicate the location from this LIRR 1966 map? http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrtr ... ight20.jpg
 #1527432  by cr9617

43 and 42. It's labeled Smith Chemical on current yard maps.

You can see it here on Google. 66 is the at the bottom of the row or the furthest from liberty ave.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/40%C2 ... -73.775066

These images are a couple years old as the other three caboose were scrapped. If you scroll down to the south you can see where c-69 was on the Modern Maid siding. (#37 on the 1966 map) The ex-NH boxcar its with is now in Dunkirk and the other cars were also scrapped.
 #1527439  by nyandw

4behind2 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:22 am Sherri Hine McKenna is the Conductor of the YFD 201 which is based in Holban Yard. She has been there for a number of years now.C66 was rebuilt during the Hoppe Administration as the "business car", but was not used that way.
YFD 201 indicates?
 #1527444  by nyandw

cr9617 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:44 pm 43 and 42. It's labeled Smith Chemical on current yard maps.

You can see it here on Google. 66 is the at the bottom of the row or the furthest from liberty ave.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/40%C2 ... -73.775066

These images are a couple years old as the other three caboose were scrapped. If you scroll down to the south you can see where c-69 was on the Modern Maid siding. (#37 on the 1966 map) The ex-NH boxcar its with is now in Dunkirk and the other cars were also scrapped.
Thank you. Appears to be at location #55 on the LIRR 1986 map: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrtr ... Erlitz.pdf (go to map #20) and location #40 on the LIRR 1966 map: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrtr ... ight20.jpg

The hack(s) appear to be on abandoned track? Thank you.