Railroad Forums 

• Busier Than Ever: Stations Above Pre-Amtrak Records

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1525249  by gokeefe

I have noticed in the last few years that when combined with all passenger rail services that terminals such as Washington Union Station and New York Penn Station appear to be "busier than ever" with passenger counts in excess of the pre-Amtrak era records (most of which were set during WWII).

Are there any other stations currently in this category? I'm guessing Boston North Station and Boston South Station may come close. I understand that the variety and type of services may not be the same as the legacy era but I find the record passenger counts impressive nonetheless.
 #1525253  by mtuandrew

Perhaps Chicago Union Station too. It’s always been one of the busiest railroad towns in America, but two of the area stations (Dearborn and Grand Central) have closed since WWII and Metra is doing booming business.
 #1525280  by Station Aficionado

Central Station in Chicago is also gone, and LaSalle St. is a shadow of its former self (is there anything other than Rock Island line Metra service there?).

Another possibility: Seattle King St. In addition to now having Sounder commuter trains, pre-Amtrak service was split between King St. and Union Station (now Sound Transit HQ).
 #1525281  by Bob Roberts

I don't have a good sense for the historic numbers but Raleigh might be a possibility. Historic service was split between Seaboard station and the smaller Southern station. Cary's station (which certainly did not exist back in the day) might dilute Raleigh's modern passenger numbers so I guess this could go either way. Its possible that Greensboro and Durham get more passengers now as well.
Last edited by Bob Roberts on Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1525296  by mtuandrew

ExCon90 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:22 pm
Station Aficionado wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:10 pm Some possibilities: Los Angeles, San Diego, Sacramento.
Absolutely--almost Clockers???! Plus all the outlying and intermediate stations served from those points.
And San Jose, likely.
 #1525476  by gokeefe

And that's a great example of why I started this thread. For all the times we bemoan the loss of so many trains there are examples such as this where the service levels are higher than ever.

I understand and appreciate that many routes are no longer available from Stamford but that is due in part to jet engines and not merely automobiles.
 #1525617  by ExCon90

During the War, Broad Street was still the origin and destination of a lot of trains for which 30th Street was an intermediate stop. For a comparison I think you'd have to combine 30th St. + Broad St. then vs. 30th St. today--and maybe even include North Phila. for Harrisburg-and-west passengers who now use 30th St.

Edit: During the War, 30th St. only had 4 tracks on the lower level; the number was increased to the present 10 in preparation for closing Broad St. in 1952.
 #1525645  by mtuandrew

ExCon90 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:00 pm During the War, Broad Street was still the origin and destination of a lot of trains for which 30th Street was an intermediate stop. For a comparison I think you'd have to combine 30th St. + Broad St. then vs. 30th St. today--and maybe even include North Phila. for Harrisburg-and-west passengers who now use 30th St.

Edit: During the War, 30th St. only had 4 tracks on the lower level; the number was increased to the present 10 in preparation for closing Broad St. in 1952.
Also Reading Terminal and its regional traffic doesn’t exist anymore; Market East is by no means the same type of station.
 #1525671  by Station Aficionado

mtuandrew wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:52 pm
ExCon90 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:22 pm
Station Aficionado wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:10 pm Some possibilities: Los Angeles, San Diego, Sacramento.
Absolutely--almost Clockers???! Plus all the outlying and intermediate stations served from those points.
And San Jose, likely.
San Jose is interesting. I always feel a little disappointed in its Amtrak ridership (230k in FY18) in comparison with Oakland or Emeryville or even Martinez. I know it doesn’t have the same number of frequencies, but it seems like it could do better. I wonder what the Caltrain and ACE numbers are?