Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1525026  by qboy

It's supposed to start in the spring, but thats always subject to change. I'm only guessing, but this project will be easily 18 month 2yr project. 6 miles to fill in the gap with a lot more work to be done than the current project.
 #1525084  by MetraBNSF

From what I’ve read a majority of the third track between Geneva and West Chicago will be laid to the south of the current main with the exception of a small stretch around the area of IL 25. That’s the bridge that’ll be closed for a few months so it can be modified to carry three tracks.

I’ve also read that parking south of the tracks at the Geneva station will be removed (hence the addition at the parking deck built a bunch of years ago. I wonder how the south platform will be handled.
 #1525171  by MetraBNSF

Drove through the Maywood area on 5th Ave around 4pm this afternoon and was caught by an eastbound freight. Didn’t really get a good look of the track area but I saw all three tracks were signaled. The freight was going east on the middle track.
 #1525203  by eolesen

MetraBNSF wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:16 am From what I’ve read a majority of the third track between Geneva and West Chicago will be laid to the south of the current main with the exception of a small stretch around the area of IL 25. That’s the bridge that’ll be closed for a few months so it can be modified to carry three tracks.

I’ve also read that parking south of the tracks at the Geneva station will be removed (hence the addition at the parking deck built a bunch of years ago. I wonder how the south platform will be handled.
I didn't think they were closing the bridge down. The piers and supports already can accommodate a third and fourth deck.

See https://imgur.com/a/cNVuxR6