Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Sunset East Reactivation Proposal (Including City of New Orleans Extension)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1524976  by mtuandrew

Messrs. O’Keefe and Norman: Senator Jones (AL) seems like he would be in favor of such a route and willing to push for it.

—————

jonnhrr & BTG: I know that and you know that, and Florida’s governor knows that. Doesn’t matter though - a train that ends in Pensacola does little for the state’s mobility at large.
 #1524986  by eolesen

jonnhrr wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:46 pmUsual shortsightedness from politicians.
Correction -- assumed short-sightedness because the current FL Gov is a Republican....

I'm not sure that's a safe assumption, either. Brightline is changing minds about how to make rail work, and without massive subsidies.

Hint: not all conservatives are against rail, especially where it makes sense.
 #1525030  by mtuandrew

eolesen wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:35 amCorrection -- assumed short-sightedness because the current FL Gov is a Republican....

I'm not sure that's a safe assumption, either. Brightline is changing minds about how to make rail work, and without massive subsidies.

Hint: not all conservatives are against rail, especially where it makes sense.
In fact, the last Florida chief executive (now the junior senator) had so much foresight, he led the fight to cancel the state-run HSR, bought a good deal of stock in Brightline, then gave them the rights to use the reserved HSR corridor. :P

This isn’t an “all Republicans” thing, I can’t speak to Gov. DeSantis’ intentions, but Governor Scott certainly made out well.
 #1525045  by gokeefe

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:47 pmBut I still hold that the only Corridor is Mobile-NO., and thst agency is advocating restoration of the entire Sunset East, which was simply a "Politico Train".

Those that pushed it, i.e. Sen. Lott, are now on K Street.
I agree that viability is best between Mobile and New Orleans. I also strongly agree that restoring Sunset East such as it were is not practical at all.

Sen. Wicker (R-MS) has done an excellent job of picking up where Sen. Lott (R-MS) left off. The restoration and enhancement grants are a major initiative of Sen. Wicker's office.

While I am loath to compare this service to the former "Harley's Hornet" (aka West Virginian) the new service is most certainly an initiative that has received extensive attention in Congress.
 #1525071  by eolesen

mtuandrew wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:00 pm In fact, the last Florida chief executive (now the junior senator) had so much foresight, he led the fight to cancel the state-run HSR, bought a good deal of stock in Brightline, then gave them the rights to use the reserved HSR corridor. :P

This isn’t an “all Republicans” thing, I can’t speak to Gov. DeSantis’ intentions, but Governor Scott certainly made out well.
That's a really creative (and misleading??...) way of framing Scott's investment in Fortress Investment Group.... There are a lot of dots you'd need to connect to say he or his wife have made any money off Brightline, since it has yet to make any money.
 #1525286  by lordsigma12345

gokeefe wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:44 pm I agree that viability is best between Mobile and New Orleans. I also strongly agree that restoring Sunset East such as it were is not practical at all.
If Florida changes their tune and wants to bring back panhandle rail, sunset east isn’t the way to go. A connecting Mobile - ORL corridor or a seperate (not sunset or CONO) NOL - ORL Train is the way to go.
 #1525302  by STrRedWolf

lordsigma12345 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:42 pm
gokeefe wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:44 pm I agree that viability is best between Mobile and New Orleans. I also strongly agree that restoring Sunset East such as it were is not practical at all.
If Florida changes their tune and wants to bring back panhandle rail, sunset east isn’t the way to go. A connecting Mobile - ORL corridor or a seperate (not sunset or CONO) NOL - ORL Train is the way to go.
I can see Mobile/NOL and NOL/ORL as separate trains, separate from the Sunset West Los Angeles/NOL.
 #1525334  by Rockingham Racer

gokeefe wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:31 am That is surprising. There are definitely some routes where it seems Amtrak hasn't done much business development work over the years.
Having lived in Florida, I am not surprised. The notion of moving people by rail [with connecting buses] is low on Florida's totem pole. Unless it's a private corporation.
 #1525363  by Rockingham Racer

I see what you're saying. Here's a thought: perhaps if they instituted a bus on the Panhandle, and if the bus became so popular that a train would be needed [as in Roanoke], that would be a scary thought to Amtrak. They appear to have no interest whatsoever in running a long distance train east of New Orleans.