Railroad Forums 

• Ancient E-unit carcass

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1482034  by Teutobergerwald

I was riding the NYC-bound Vermonter from D.C. this morning, and noticed an old E-unit along with a caboose and several other old pieces of rolling stock on a spur somewhere between Wilmington and Philadelphia, I want to say. The E and the others were all clearing visible from the train I was on. Anybody familiar with these relics? Sorry I can't be more specific.
 #1482065  by MACTRAXX

T: That describes Bennett Levin's Juniata Terminal building which is near Frankford Junction which
is about three miles east of North Philadelphia or around 8 miles from 30th Street.

That E unit was likely a parts donor for his two E units that are in the PRR color scheme that are
kept indoors along with his other vintage equipment that includes the business car PRR #120.

MACTRAXX
 #1524807  by Teutobergerwald

These relics still there? Also, is the spur they're spotted on still connected to the NEC ? Thanks, all.
 #1524810  by STrRedWolf

Teutobergerwald wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:09 pm These relics still there? Also, is the spur they're spotted on still connected to the NEC ? Thanks, all.
Google Maps says... still connected, still there as of last year at least.
 #1524822  by glennk419

Bennitt Levin's Juniata Terminal is still very much connected to the NEC. The future of operations for the E8's is up in the air as they are not PTC equipped. I have no idea on the disposition of the unit in the picture but would guess that it was a parts donor.
 #1524912  by Tadman

So obviously they don't pay me to make decisions on stuff like this. But what I woud've done - Metra is critically short of good power. JT needs PTC on their engines but can't justify the cost. How about a two year lease to Metra, strictly for use on an easy line like Heritage Corridor or Southwest Service. The price includes a reasonable lease fee and PTC installation.

At the end of two years, Juniata Terminal has a viable future for their locomotives and Metra has a short term solution to move short gentle trains.

The buffs would be all over that side of Chicago if it were to happen...
 #1524915  by chrisf

Tadman wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:37 am So obviously they don't pay me to make decisions on stuff like this. But what I woud've done - Metra is critically short of good power. JT needs PTC on their engines but can't justify the cost. How about a two year lease to Metra, strictly for use on an easy line like Heritage Corridor or Southwest Service. The price includes a reasonable lease fee and PTC installation.
There's no place for 67-68 year old equipment in daily commuter service, and I don't think anyone would consider an E8 to be good commuter power anymore.
 #1524916  by DutchRailnut

I do not think the cost of installing PTC is prohibitive for Mr. Bennitt, I think keeping it in 100% updated state, and more or less under power every day of year is.
 #1524919  by eolesen

Tadman wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:37 am So obviously they don't pay me to make decisions on stuff like this. But what I woud've done - Metra is critically short of good power. JT needs PTC on their engines but can't justify the cost. How about a two year lease to Metra, strictly for use on an easy line like Heritage Corridor or Southwest Service. The price includes a reasonable lease fee and PTC installation.

At the end of two years, Juniata Terminal has a viable future for their locomotives and Metra has a short term solution to move short gentle trains.

The buffs would be all over that side of Chicago if it were to happen...
It's not a new idea -- Wisconsin Southern wanted a E9B to go with their business train, and worked out a deal with the IRM to lease a former UP B unit from the IRM, which also had a MARC E9A as a parts donor. WSOR did the rebuild, repainted it, and ran it as the 102 for several years (IPH bought the parted out MARC A unit for some reason). At the end of the lease, it found its way back to the IRM (took about 18 months to finally move it...).

That said... Unless the JT units are really GP40's in an E carbody, I doubt Metra would want the headache of two oddball locomotives.
 #1524931  by mtuandrew

DutchRailnut wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:32 am I do not think the cost of installing PTC is prohibitive for Mr. Bennitt, I think keeping it in 100% updated state, and more or less under power every day of year is.
So is installing two types: ACSES and I-ETMS.