Railroad Forums 

• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1524024  by Gilbert B Norman

gregorygrice wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:22 pm All of the bag moves have been announced, usually atleast one Elmira move report and a couple when they head down the NEC on 97.
Mr. Grice, my point is simply that if, as NARP reports, 69000, 1, 7, & 8 have been delivered, none of the four rail related message boards I review had mention of those cars being so.
 #1524041  by gokeefe

To answer Amtrak706,

There were a whole series of problems with the order including change orders from Amtrak and apparently some quality control issues at CAF. It's been a mess but (wisely) they didn't give up.
 #1524155  by Tadman

Amtrak706 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:17 pm Does anyone else have a hard time understanding how this is taking so epically long? The order was placed nearly a decade (!) ago. By the time the last V2 is delivered, it may be 12-13 years since the order, not that much less time than the entire service lives of some pre-Amtrak equipment!
For a long time I blamed Amtrak, and I still do, as many of their procurements are disasters. But CAF has not been a model of good service, either. The Caledonian Sleeper cars (75 cars, mix of coach, sleeper, diner) were a bit late (12 months?) but in tragically bad fettle. The Edinburgh/Glasgow service was converted first. They delayed the Inverness/Highlander service conversion for 8 more months to work out the bugs, but still have a long way to go. CAF has not done so well on that project and perhaps the same issues permeate the V2 order.
 #1524165  by Gilbert B Norman

Tadman wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:57 am....CAF has not been a model of good service, either. The Caledonian Sleeper cars (75 cars, mix of coach, sleeper, diner) were a bit late (12 months?) but in tragically bad fettle.
Mr. Dunville, off topic, but related to your immediate. I had to go to a dictionary to review the definition of "Fettle". I learned it is more of "the Queen's language" than Yankee.

I haven't been.in the "Mother Country" since 1986, however, my Sister resided in the London area 1970-89. She still has English terms in her speech, such as the noun "Lead", or over here, a dog's leash.
 #1524213  by Tadman

Hey if we’re discussing the Queen’s longest sleeper (distance and car count) I figure we should drop in some Anglo....

Count me among the group that thinks a heartily rebuilt Mk3 fleet would’ve been better use of money and the Mk3 is a great ride.
 #1524370  by Tadman

It appears they are officially using the new diners as axle count cars. Two days ago I drove the length of Illinois on I55 and noticed a Saluki pacing me about a mile off, with a heritage bag and V2 diner ahead of the revenue cars.

I get that this is not the best situation, but perhaps at least use the diner to sell the usual snack bar fare and let the cafe cars go to rebuild or other service? I know the cafe+business cars on the Detroit run are quite crusty and haven't got the recent Amfleet makeover. The 2+1 is all they have going for them, as the cushion foam is showing age and they rattle like a bucket of bolts.
 #1524372  by bostontrainguy

Tadman wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:28 am It appears they are officially using the new diners as axle count cars. Two days ago I drove the length of Illinois on I55 and noticed a Saluki pacing me about a mile off, with a heritage bag and V2 diner ahead of the revenue cars.
This seems insane. Is there any possibility that Amtrak is simply still testing these cars and killing two birds with one stone?
 #1524451  by daybeers

That's utterly ridiculous. I get cost-saving for the 2020 food and beverage mandate, but what about the cost of manufacturing years-delayed cars costing millions and then using them as, effectively, dead weight wasting fuel?
 #1524459  by Gilbert B Norman

Tadman wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:28 am It appears they are officially using the new diners as axle count cars. Two days ago I drove the length of Illinois on I-55 and noticed a Saluki pacing me about a mile off, with a heritage bag and V2 diner ahead of the revenue cars.
Mr. Dunville, if you were chasing the Illini/Saluki, you were on I-57. If you were on 55, then you were chasing a Lincoln.
 #1524463  by ApproachMedium

This is fulfilling the axle requirement stuff for crossing activation shunting. Might as well be a diner than an empty coach that could be seats on another train, or a baggage car that they need for baggage.
 #1524468  by mtuandrew

ApproachMedium wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:17 am This is fulfilling the axle requirement stuff for crossing activation shunting. Might as well be a diner than an empty coach that could be seats on another train, or a baggage car that they need for baggage.
They haven’t needed the particular baggage cars they’re using. These are Heritage fleet converted passenger cars that have more or less served their useful lives and are destined for scrap & parts.
 #1524582  by ApproachMedium

H bags are being used yes, but they too have an utlimate end of life coming soon. As any of those cars reaches its 5 year i think they are putting them out to pasture. Beech grove isnt working on them anymore and amtrak sold off the entire parts inventory to scrap.
 #1524772  by ThirdRail7

mtuandrew wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:25 am
They haven’t needed the particular baggage cars they’re using. These are Heritage fleet converted passenger cars that have more or less served their useful lives and are destined for scrap & parts.
ApproachMedium wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:45 am H bags are being used yes, but they too have an utlimate end of life coming soon. As any of those cars reaches its 5 year i think they are putting them out to pasture. Beech grove isnt working on them anymore and amtrak sold off the entire parts inventory to scrap.
Agreed. Would you rather utilize a revenue-producing coach that could be used elsewhere? Like it or not, the dining cars are non-revenue cars, particularly in their current assignment.

It DOES bother me that these cars COULD go to the Cardinal and give them a better experience....which was promised., and they decided to forgo the Cardinal.
 #1524840  by ApproachMedium

There should be diners assigned to the cardinal rotation. Put them in place of the current Lounge car and use the half biz half cafe car as the Lounge portion of the train. This would give riders more space for eating or being productive and keep a better line between the dining area vs lounge