Railroad Forums 

• Ironbound area local freight

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1524356  by Joseph DeLuisi

Kuiken Bros. Lumber recently opened a facility on Doremus Ave in the Ironbound section with a long siding and it receives lumber cars from the Pacific Northwest region on a daily basis.
 #1524421  by pumpers

Looking at Google Maps to find Bell Container, (615 Ferry St(?) ), I see a siding coming off the P&H (the double track main just north of Route 1).
https://goo.gl/maps/wWt4fVzPtcBZMMHf6
Is this what is used to serve Bell Container? It doesn't look too active (at least when that picture was taken).

Also, on google maps I also see quite a string of hoppers on a curving double track, serving a row of storage silos just south of Raymond Blvd. (and north of Ferry St)
Looking south from Raymond Blvd: https://goo.gl/maps/egyBoypA4AC4TPuT6
Looking down from the aerial view: https://goo.gl/maps/AJtwn8yGcQ8tYmD28
What's this business?
 #1524433  by Sir Ray

pumpers wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:31 pmIs this what is used to serve Bell Container? It doesn't look too active (at least when that picture was taken).
If you follow on the google view the siding you mentioned to the West at the end, you will see what looks to be the rusty roofs of two boxcars half hidden in the trees. Whether these cars are in revenue service, or used for storage I cannot say.
Also, on google maps I also see quite a string of hoppers on a curving double track, serving a row of storage silos just south of Raymond Blvd. (and north of Ferry St)
What's this business?
Those are plastic hoppers, for Allied Extruders - there is a sign on Ferry Sign, as well as a (hard to see) "Allied" sign on a low flat building adjacent to the silo banks (not sure if both banks of silos belong to Allied or not).

What is interesting is that the north most of the two spurs to the plastic plant (part of which was the Breyer Ice Cream plant I think) used to continue West on an elevated ROW parallel to Raymond Blvd. for 4 more blocks (according to Historic Aerials). You can see the abutments on both sides of Schalk St. in this view.
 #1524486  by pumpers

Sir Ray wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:27 pm If you follow on the google view the siding you mentioned to the West at the end, you will see what looks to be the rusty roofs of two boxcars half hidden in the trees. Whether these cars are in revenue service, or used for storage I cannot say.
I saw that too, but agree it's hard to tell if they are active. The good news is, the ballast back at the switch looks new in the photo
What is interesting is that the north most of the two spurs to the plastic plant (part of which was the Breyer Ice Cream plant I think)
I looked on an old Sanborn map. The buildings south of the curving track where the silos are, which are now Allied Extruders as you pointed out, used to be Newark Tube Company. I"m pretty sure all the silos belong to Allied - if you zoom in you can see a pipe going from the northern bank of silos back to the plant.
Breyers Ice Cream was the building on the south side of Raymond Blvd, just west of the RR overpass (now the self-storage operation), just northeast of the silos.
One other tidbit I found - running parallel to Raymond in this area, about 150 feet north of it, was the bed of the old Morris Canal.
 #1524537  by ccutler

thanks for posting the updates! Is the ironbound line out of use past the plastics plant? I see the new fresh foods place retained the rail siding but it may be out of use. Also does Benjamin Moore paints use rail?
 #1524598  by Sir Ray

pumpers wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:06 am Looks grim at Benjamin Moore. Here is what is supposed to be a July 2018 shot from Google Streetview, looking north into B.M. at Lister Ave. https://goo.gl/maps/XhGX7ngjRXetZf2X6
There is a heavy barrier where the track enters the property, and one of the rails in the street is partially paved over.
Actually, not as grim as you think in that 2018 view.
The blue/gray metal barrier is a gate, has been there for years.
The rails are not paved over, that is an artifact of the camera imagery, move the view back a bit West and the crossing is seen intact.
Zoom in on the open garage door, looks to me much more like a white tank car in there than a tank trailer.
 #1524740  by cr9617

Joseph DeLuisi wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:55 am Kuiken Bros. Lumber recently opened a facility on Doremus Ave in the Ironbound section with a long siding and it receives lumber cars from the Pacific Northwest region on a daily basis.
This probably means an end to them receiving cars in Emerson off the Pascack Valley.
 #1524852  by DogBert

pumpers wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:05 am I looked on an old Sanborn map. The buildings south of the curving track where the silos are, which are now Allied Extruders as you pointed out, used to be Newark Tube Company. I"m pretty sure all the silos belong to Allied - if you zoom in you can see a pipe going from the northern bank of silos back to the plant.
Breyers Ice Cream was the building on the south side of Raymond Blvd, just west of the RR overpass (now the self-storage operation), just northeast of the silos.
One other tidbit I found - running parallel to Raymond in this area, about 150 feet north of it, was the bed of the old Morris Canal.
Allied had large silos next to their freight siding when they were in Queens. Not sure of the process but those covered hoppers are filled with tiny plastic pellets that are probably unloaded into the silos.
 #1526281  by GOLDEN-ARM

pumpers wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:51 pm Always glad to get good news. Here is a different view of the white (hopefully) tank car:
https://goo.gl/maps/amXoLRUnMhawRVJf8

quite clearly a tank car. the brake wheel, and end platform can easily be seen, as well as the "splash" of rust and grime off the wheels of the car that would be couple to it. the safety railings on the end platform are also clearly seen.
 #1532304  by Joseph DeLuisi

Yes Benjamin Moore is still getting rail service on Lister Ave. and Bell Container at the end of Ferry St. Also Atlas Refinery on Lister Ave. State House Produce did receive rail service until a few years ago, and Hello Fresh has a siding. They are in the new buildings where the Newark Farmers Market used to be. There is also a brick yard on Wilson Ave that gets service and several chemical companies on Doremus Ave too. The same train that works the Manufacturers Branch I think.