Railroad Forums 

• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1523827  by gokeefe

None of that information sounds reliable to me. Amtrak clearly has figured out a plan for the new diner cars and has now adjusted accordingly. As for the potential change to the contract it's certainly possible given that the last decision on order composition occurred under the previous administration (please correct me if I'm wrong on that one).
 #1523839  by ExCon90

Oh yes indeed--I don't know what else to do about that organization.
Edit: But just in case they do, you read it here first ...
Last edited by ExCon90 on Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1523871  by ApproachMedium

Amtrak is NOT selling off any diners anytime soon. As far as i know, the complaints of the new cars have been minimal other than the lack of extra table and seat for the nonsense ADA requirement. Because whos going to take a motorized scooter from one railcar to another? usually these passengers are accommodated in their sleeper or seat with their meal from the dining car. I can see making sure you have room for somebody who needs assistance walking etc, but removing an entire table in an already space limited car was a poor choice.
 #1523896  by Tadman

gokeefe wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:29 am None of that information sounds reliable to me.
Completely agree. Railroaders and railfans both have their own gossip mill, and sometimes the guff that comes out of either is stratospherically wrong.

Until we see an official note about diners for sale or order modification, I'm not going to believe much. There is basically no buyer for the diners and if there were to be a sale, it would be advertised clearly. A federal gov't entity cannot just backdoor diners they "don't like" to GCRY or ARR. There is a very clear sale process. Remember the recent disposal of old cars and power, including Ocean View? We all heard about it.

Also, a cancellation of the last four dorms would be something that goes on paper pretty clearly as well. Remember when they shifted a few cars from sleeper to dorms (was it full bags to dorms?) a few years ago? We all knew about it very well.
 #1523930  by electricron

Tadman wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:05 am Completely agree. Railroaders and railfans both have their own gossip mill, and sometimes the guff that comes out of either is stratospherically wrong.

Until we see an official note about diners for sale or order modification, I'm not going to believe much. There is basically no buyer for the diners and if there were to be a sale, it would be advertised clearly. A federal gov't entity cannot just backdoor diners they "don't like" to GCRY or ARR. There is a very clear sale process. Remember the recent disposal of old cars and power, including Ocean View? We all heard about it.

Also, a cancellation of the last four dorms would be something that goes on paper pretty clearly as well. Remember when they shifted a few cars from sleeper to dorms (was it full bags to dorms?) a few years ago? We all knew about it very well.
They changed 15 dorm/bags to full bags several years ago, reducing the number of dorm/bags to be built to 10.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viewliner
The initial order contract allowed an option of up to an additional 70 Viewliner 2s. I have no idea if the 70 options can be order anymore.
 #1523959  by Gilbert B Norman

Report "elsewhere" notes new delivery Bagg-Dorm 69009 and Sleeper 62503 Rappahannock River;both are deadheading south on 97(30)

My count: six Dorms. two Sleepers are "on the property.

With six Dorms, isn't it time to start assigning them somewhere? Hint Amtrak: 91-92, Silver Star; four in consists, one "protect" each SSY, HIA. The two Sleepers? well, "tinker toys".
 #1524007  by Gilbert B Norman

I guess what astounds me, Mr. Chicago Heights Terminal Transfer, is how those four 69XXX Dorms got delivered "on the stealth". The several message boards I review have always been "quick to light up" and the railfans in the area "saddling up" for the chase along the ERIE, with any V-II delivery.

But if RPA/NARP is correct, then all the greater reason they have not been regularly placed in service.
 #1524016  by Amtrak706

Does anyone else have a hard time understanding how this is taking so epically long? The order was placed nearly a decade (!) ago. By the time the last V2 is delivered, it may be 12-13 years since the order, not that much less time than the entire service lives of some pre-Amtrak equipment!
 #1524017  by gregorygrice

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:20 am I guess what astounds me, Mr. Chicago Heights Terminal Transfer, is how those four 69XXX Dorms got delivered "on the stealth". The several message boards I review have always been "quick to light up" and the railfans in the area "saddling up" for the chase along the ERIE, with any V-II delivery.

But if RPA/NARP is correct, then all the greater reason they have not been regularly placed in service.
All of the bag moves have been announced, usually atleast one Elmira move report and a couple when they head down the NEC on 97.