Railroad Forums 

• MNCR/LIRR FL-9AC Test Engines

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1521520  by DutchRailnut

returned to Metro North , scrapped Croton East yard.
12/710 G3 and alternators sold to off shore provider.
 #1521603  by 452 Card

Were any of the pricey inverters saved for re-use wherever? And what about the MUCAS (Ahem MICAS) computers? All that AC traction stuff, the traction motors, fuses and the trucks? Any use for those as spares for anything? Shoe beams, pickup plates, fuses, whatever. I'm not trying to be picky, although it may seem that a tremendous loss of money may be involved here if these ancillaries were not saved. Its all a sad memory, because these engines ran like a deer when they were "right".
 #1521604  by DutchRailnut

As far as I know only the Engine/Alternators were sold , rest ended in dumpsters.
 #1521930  by mainline

9F7B6B67-3AF6-4AAB-B10E-8FC5533FDA45.jpeg
9F7B6B67-3AF6-4AAB-B10E-8FC5533FDA45.jpeg (2.92 MiB) Viewed 3537 times

Here’s a view at Croton East Yard.

Bill
 #1521940  by 452 Card

Thanks, Bill!
The 301 was the unit that almost went into the turntable pit at Morris Park. The F-end truck dropped down after the belly tank bottomed on the end of the rail on 19 track. After that it became a parts store.
I have a pic of that day, but I can't figure out how to post it here. Duh.
 #1522003  by mainline

Hit attachments then add files and then scroll thru your photo library. It’s much easier. The old way was really hard for us computer illerates!

Bill
 #1522056  by 452 Card

Every time I try to submit the pic, it comes in upside down. I even tried to rotate it in reverse, but it still appears 180 degrees out.
 #1522091  by newkirk

452 card wrote: I have a pic of that day, but I can't figure out how to post it here. Duh.
Here ya go !
Attachments:
OOPS !
OOPS !
#301 - Turntable Pit Mishap.jpg (340.18 KiB) Viewed 3306 times
 #1522212  by dieciduej

452 Card wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:39 am Thanks, Bill!
The 301 was the unit that almost went into the turntable pit at Morris Park. The F-end truck dropped down after the belly tank bottomed on the end of the rail on 19 track. After that it became a parts store.
I have a pic of that day, but I can't figure out how to post it here. Duh.
And I thought it would be easier to jack or lift the locomotive to get the truck out! :P
 #1522273  by Tadman

452 Card wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:54 pm What a waste. There were many interesting parts in there usable in other industries.
Speaking from experience, sometimes that is the case, sometimes it is not. Storage costs are higher than you would think. Sometimes those components sit around for a long time. Often when buildings are moved or rearranged, the material handling costs just to move parts inventories is pretty high.

If all those components were stored at Croton before a buyer was found (I know, Croton is MN, not LIRR, but work with me here) and then they decide to build the new Croton, the costs to remove, store, and move to the new shop are quite high, plus what happens with that space at the new shop once the surplus is gone?

The other solution is to sell to a surplus broker for 10% of value, and he will eventually sell it to someone else for 50-70% of value, using a lot of that markup to cover transport and storage. At 10%, does it even cover MN's cost to remove and part out?

I'm not arguing for or against surplus salvage, just trying to illustrate the decision points and costs of such an operation as I've approached them in the past.