Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1522029  by Head-end View

New York would do well to take a page out of the Washington D.C. Metro's book on how to intelligently connect major airports and the Downtown areas for the convenience of the riding public. Philadelphia and Chicago are also good examples of the right way to do it.
 #1522899  by #5 - Dyre Ave

Head-end View wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:01 pm New York would do well to take a page out of the Washington D.C. Metro's book on how to intelligently connect major airports and the Downtown areas for the convenience of the riding public. Philadelphia and Chicago are also good examples of the right way to do it.
SEPTA’s Airport Line in Philadelphia runs only once every 30 minutes between the Airport and Temple University. Not nearly as frequently as the ‘L’ or DC’s Metro. Though it does connect well with University City and Center City.

It really is shameful and pathetic just how much we capitulate to NIMBYs in this city. LaGuardia needs a convenient rail connection to Midtown and the 7 Line needs relief. The LGA AirTrain will do neither. Didn’t the CTA in Chicago tell NIMBYs to go pound sand and take the property required to build a new flyover junction between three of its lines (Red, Purple and Brown)? Why can’t we do the same with the NIMBYs who stopped the N extension 20 years ago? Or at least make more of an attempt to work with the community?
 #1523315  by GirlOnTheTrain

A few weeks ago a passenger was absolutely appalled when I told him there was no airtrain to LGA and that he would need to take the M60 bus. (I was working on the upper Lexington line)
 #1523335  by Roadgeek Adam

The two times I did bus to LGA (same trip), my father and I did Junction Blvd to Q72 and the Q70 to 74 Street/Jackson Heights. The former ran fine, the latter took forever.
 #1523359  by Backshophoss

Entend the N&Q to LGA and be done with it,the current bus connections are useless
You DO NOT NEED A LINK TO JFK FROM LGA!,IF flying international you will go to NWK/JFK directly.
otherwise the airline sets up a limo connection.
Any kind of south/east routing is USELESS!
 #1523422  by Kelly&Kelly

The Port Authority yesterday approved $2.1 billion in spending for a LaGuardia AirTrain project to Willets Point. The funding had been held up for several years while opposing board members could be replaced. Ousted member Ken Lipper had held up the expansion, claiming that it would be cheaper for the people of New York to provide private car service for every LaGuardia traveler.

The Port Authority states travel to Midtown from the airport would take "less than 30 minutes" with 24-hour, fifteen minute service between New York and Willets Point. Trains, state the Port Authority, will leave Willets Point to Grand Central and Penn Station on fifteen minute intervals, two every hour to each terminal. Of course, they include, some travel times can be longer but future roadway limitations and congestion fees are expected to increase highway delays, now making the AirTrain viable.

Construction will begin in 2021 with the system opening in 2024, according to the Port Authority.
 #1523426  by Rockingham Racer

Got a link to the announcement? I couldn't find one.

So they'll use the number 7 train and run it, apparently, right through Flushing Meadows, the site of the 1964 World's Fair. They'll need to make Willetts point ADA compliant, based on the MTA subway map.

What is the plan once it gets onto the LaGuardia campus?
 #1523443  by EuroStar

I am not sure if there is official announcement from the Port Authority. Here is one link in the news Port Authority approves billions for airport rail projects. You can use google to find the same stuff in other news outlets.

Keep fingers crossed that they use the same technology as in the JFK airtran, so once it is realized that people do not want to go in the wrong direction to get to Manhattan they can extend it and connect it to the Jamaica airtran for JFK so at least it can serve the rest of Long Island and provide connection between the two airports.
 #1523456  by Backshophoss

What a waste of money,and overloads the 7 line even more,better move was toward Ditmars Blvd and use the N and Q lines to to midtown/
wall street areas Going east and south is the mistake here.