Railroad Forums 

• AMTRAK NEC: Springfield Shuttle/Regional/Valley Flyer/Inland Routing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1520804  by CVRA7

I really hope they allow space for 4 tracks in the new Hartford rail station, which will be part of the I-84 rebuilding project. Think ahead, planners!

Regarding the new service being hard for potential riders to find in the N E Corridor timetable, maybe having separate timetables Greenfield-Springfield-New Haven-New York-Washington (separated from the Boston-New York-Washington schedules) would allow the new services to be a bit more visible. With self-service printing (no Amtrak printing and distribution costs) it shouldn't be too hard to do.
 #1522177  by danib62

Safetee wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:58 pm well i'm glad to see that the names have been changed to protect the innocent. And maybe the rail fans of america not to mention the amtrak regulars will easily decipher the valley flyer piece of the "new" northeast corridor schedules. but i question whether or not the non railers are going to easily figure the flyer schedules out.

they say 5% of something is always better than a 100% of nothing, but i still see it as a continuing informational hindrance to getting riders in western mass to hop on the trains.
Your average "non railer" isn't going to consult a timetable at all, they're just going to go to amtrak.com and punch in the two stations they want to travel between and see what pops up.
 #1522179  by Safetee

why will the non railers automatically beam up amtrak to go from greenfield to wherever? usually knowing what all the schedule possibilities are is the key to making your days plans. Might they also beam up greyhound or peter pan or conn dot or whatever for a cheaper fare or better schedule possibly from a different location with more travel options? or are you saying they'll just jump on the first train that pops up on the Amtrak oracle, which infers that while non railers may be techno savvy when it comes to scheduled travel options they're all dopes.
 #1522187  by asull85

WashingtonPark wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:04 pm On Amtrak about 30 minutes late to Springfield on the Vermonter. Nothing special, just losing time between every station. Can't blame host railroads for that. I've heard quite a bit of buzz about the Vermonter being in jeopardy but nobody knows anything specific. Anybody here heard anything?
Actually the host railroad is in the middle of a tie job.
 #1522222  by danib62

Safetee wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:41 pm why will the non railers automatically beam up amtrak to go from greenfield to wherever? usually knowing what all the schedule possibilities are is the key to making your days plans. Might they also beam up greyhound or peter pan or conn dot or whatever for a cheaper fare or better schedule possibly from a different location with more travel options? or are you saying they'll just jump on the first train that pops up on the Amtrak oracle, which infers that while non railers may be techno savvy when it comes to scheduled travel options they're all dopes.
When you search it shows you all the trains for the day, not just the first one that pops up, so no you'd look at all of them and choose the one that best matches your schedule. If no trains match what you need then yes you look at other options like greyhound etc. Not sure where this jump on the first train that pops up notion came from...
 #1522226  by east point

danib62 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:57 pm
Your average "non railer" isn't going to consult a timetable at all, they're just going to go to amtrak.com and punch in the two stations they want to travel between and see what pops up.
But if you are on a train you may want a timetable to know what stations your train will stop at and when. If you are doing work you might want to calculate time remaining to your station.
 #1522228  by danib62

Your average non-foamer in 2019 is going to have no idea where to even find an amtrak timetable. They don't print them anymore and it's not like they really advertise them on the website. I think you're both woefully out of touch with how the average passenger engages with the system.
 #1522231  by gregorygrice

danib62 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:12 am Your average non-foamer in 2019 is going to have no idea where to even find an amtrak timetable. They don't print them anymore and it's not like they really advertise them on the website. I think you're both woefully out of touch with how the average passenger engages with the system.
Hartford Line has printed schedules at every stop. The schedules include both CTrail & Amtrak trains.