Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1393868  by Gilbert B Norman

The New York Times has been expending a fair amount of column inches regarding mass transit on "that city out there". Here is from today's paper:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/21/us/th ... ansit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fair Use:
LOS ANGELES — When the extension of the Expo rail line opened here in May, it was almost as if the city had stepped into another century. Suddenly, it was possible to go from downtown to the Santa Monica beach by train, escaping a drive that could take two hours. The inaugural runs were packed with people, carrying beach chairs and recording the 15-mile, 45-minute long ride with cellphones.

The $1.5 billion, aboveground Expo project is not the only piece of the transit transformation unfolding here. An 11.5-mile extension of the Gold Line, running from Pasadena to Asuza, just northeast of downtown, opened this spring. If not as glamorous as a train to the Pacific Ocean, it was certainly appreciated by people in the San Gabriel Valley, who otherwise have to navigate the traffic of Interstate 210.

And all of that is likely to be dwarfed by an initiative that is expected to go before the voters in November, pending a final vote by the county Board of Supervisors, that would impose a countywide 1-cent transit sales tax, raising $860 million a year. The tax would finance 40 major transit projects over the next 40 years, including 100 miles of new rail lines and what has been a touchstone for mass transit advocates (and frustrated commuters) for decades: A train tunnel under the Sepulveda Pass, connecting the Los Angeles basin with the San Fernando Valley.

There may be no part of America more identified, for better and for worse, with the automobile than this city. But this burst of activity, and the considerable interest it has stirred here, suggests that a fundamental reconsideration of Los Angeles may be at hand, a shift to an era when mass transit — subways, light rail, buses — could be as central to getting around, and perhaps even to this region’s image, as the car.
As I've noted, or at least inferred, at this Forum, it seems as if a region had to abandon (Pacific Electric) something only to realize what they lost, and to rebuild it from the ground up - and at a cost astronomically higher than if simply left in place.
 #1395619  by Ryand-Smith

I recently visited Los Angeles for a week, and while I was in the city, I did not rent a car. Between my pass (I spent 15 dollars, half on a week pass, the rest was for step up fares for the express bus), it was a great decision. Their public transit, while not the heavy rail I am used to (it's all streetcars/giant LRVs) was pretty good and I would recommend it for a visitor. I can't wait for the Crenshaw line to be finished so I do not have the always confusing lax to shuttle bus to green line transfer.
 #1518330  by Gilbert B Norman

Unfortunately, the enthusiasm for LA mass transit shown by both The Times and Mr. Ryand-Smith does not seem to be trending, or so reports the Wall Street Journal:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-bus-rid ... lewebshare

Fair Use:
Ridership on L.A.’s rapidly expanding but significantly smaller rail system declined 5% in the same period......the city is also expanding a rail system that currently serves only a fraction of the city. The process has been slow, however. While LA Metro has held public hearings to develop a rail system to help alleviate traffic on the notoriously clogged I-405 freeway that connects the San Fernando Valley to L.A.’s west side, there aren’t any concrete plans yet.
Encouraging around here should be the graph within the article showing that rail is "holding its own", and that bus is responsible for the decline. But rail, Metrolink and Subway, only serves a fraction of the region.
 #1518389  by Backshophoss

Mass transit in the Basin is DISJOINTED, instead of Integrated,at least 2 different county Bus systems,very little of the Bus network feeds to
LA Metro rail and Metrolink, it's aimed at Downtown LA service instead. Over time as the LA Metro light Rail/Subway expand there might be
a feeder bus to that system.
There's little growth possible For Metrolink,Almost all of the lines are ex UP/ATSF mainlines with freight traffic to/from the ports of
LA and Long Beach. Victorville and Palm Springs have yet to be reached,but slots on BNSF Cajon Pass(Transconn)and UP's Beaumont Hill
are hard to "create" for Metrolink.
Metrolink is part of the LOSSAN partnership that runs the Amtrak-Ca Surfliner services
 #1518436  by lensovet

No idea what narrative the WSJ is trying to push, but perhaps we should ask the agency itself?

http://isotp.metro.net/MetroRidership/Index.aspx

most of the drop is due to blue line being OOS, which is not indicative of very much. Expo line is down 0.08% (yes you read that right, less than 0.1%). Green line is down less than 3% and I suspect the missing blue line connection has something to do with it. Gold line is up.

Meanwhile on the bus side, everything is down except for the silver line, which presumably is taking up slack from the blue line. but saying that bus service is declining does not make for an interesting story, so instead we get BS about how the enthusiasm for transit isn't trending. lol.
 #1518506  by ExCon90

What's the story on the Blue Line? Massive rehab? First I've heard of it. And what's being substituted? I'd think a bus shuttle would be a nightmare with that passenger volume.
 #1518770  by lensovet

ExCon90 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:08 pm What's the story on the Blue Line? Massive rehab? First I've heard of it. And what's being substituted? I'd think a bus shuttle would be a nightmare with that passenger volume.
https://www.metro.net/projects/new-blue ... rovements/
The northern portion of the alignment is out of service for four months from 7th St/Metro Center to Compton Station.
Replacement bus service is in place.