Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak in Miami (Hialeah, Miami Intermodal Center/Airport)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1501644  by njtmnrrbuff

That would be even better if everything could terminate in Downtown Miami. That's where many people want to go and it's very close to a lot of the main parts of Miami such as South Beach, Brickell, etc. People who are taking Amtrak to the ship wouldn't have to travel very far, although the Amtrak trains arrive into Miami after many of the ships depart so I'm sure that many people spend the night in Miami before they depart to sea. I haven't seen the new Virgin Central station in Downtown or the right of way leading from Iris to Downtown in person but I think that there is single track on the connection and for Amtrak to utilize the FEC from Iris to Downtown Miami, having double track would be good. Plus, I'm not sure how long the platforms are at the Virgin Central Station. They might not be long enough to handle an Amtrak long distance train.
 #1501718  by farecard

Don't hold your breath waiting for either Amtrak->MIC or Tri-rail to downtown.

I'm guessing, but it sounds like Amtrak wants a better deal to move to MIC.
On other users of Miami Central, why would Brightline throw away a competitive advantage over the others?
 #1501769  by nomis

farecard, There was substantial public money directed towards Brightline for getting a leg of a wye installed at Iris as well as two platforms with level boarding at Downtown for Tri-Rail.
Last edited by nomis on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1501774  by farecard

nomis wrote:farecard, There was substantial public money directed towards Brightline for getting a leg of a eye installed at Iris as well as two platforms with level boarding at Downtown for Tri-Rail.
Ahh, I've not figured out the whole confusing story. I've read of Iris here, etc. but they are just names.
I'd love a kml overlay or similar so I could figure out what trackage is where in the area.
 #1507543  by JasW

The Iris interlocking is located here: https://goo.gl/maps/e5uzFSHdHM9pifzn6. Seaboard and then CSX owned property for years that would have enabled them to build the northeastern part of a wye with the FEC tracks. CSX conveyed the property to the state DOT in 1990. While it still just shows up as a parking lot on the current Google Maps satellite view, the wye aka "Iris NE Connection" was in fact completed last year, as shown below in an aerial view photo from the county property appraiser (always the best place to get the most current aerial views!). The FEC already upgraded the southwestern wye at the Little River connection with its main a few years back. So infrastructure-wise, nothing currently prevents Tri-Rail -- or Amtrak -- from pulling right into the Brightline, um, Virgin MiamiCentral station.
Iris NE Connection.jpg
 #1507548  by Gilbert B Norman

On my January trip "down below" (huh?! that was my Father's term saying he was in Florida), I noted Tri-Rail signage in place at Miami Central (Brightline's). I also noted the absence of any Amtrak signage at Miami Intermodal (Metro Orange and Tri-Rail), and I recall seeing some on prior trips.

Even though Amtrak has the physical means to access either terminal, it's not moving anywhere. Passenger convenience "trumping" (as in Bridge and not POTUS45), operational efficiency? Not with this day and age Amtrak.
 #1507606  by JasW

It's a shame that the current Amtrak station and the Tri-Rail/Metrorail Transfer station are only a quarter-mile apart, but each acts like the other doesn't even exist. It's only a very easy walk of 2 blocks or so if you're willing to hop a fence and trespass a little. Otherwise it's a roundabout half-mile walk.
 #1507613  by JasW

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:It’s a shame that at least, Amtrak doesn’t terminate at the MIC. I probably wouldn’t walk from the MIC to the existing Amtrak Station since it’s a rough area too.
Walk from the MIC to the current Amtrak station? It's a good 4 miles away!
 #1512791  by SRich

Any update on this “Amtrak” station. I was there today and still its showing a letter that Amtrak is not serving this station.
 #1513016  by Rockingham Racer

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:23 am The Miami Amtrak station is still located at its current inconvenient and very unsafe location.
I used to live in Miami. Never heard of any crime in the immediate area. Perhaps you know something that I don't. I'd be interested in hearing it, if you do. I'll admit that Miami is not Hialeah, but still.

The nice thing about the current station is that there's a loop that encircles the station. Makes it very easy to turn equipment. The Miami Airport station is going to require a backup move to return to Hialeah for turning and servicing, bucking Tri-Rail trains to and fro.
 #1513739  by chrsjrcj

SRich wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:30 pm Any update on this “Amtrak” station. I was there today and still its showing a letter that Amtrak is not serving this station.
It's pretty safe to say that it will serve an even less useful purpose than the new Viewliner dining cars...as in, it likely ain't gonna happen (especially under the current regime).