Railroad Forums 

• LIRR 1960's VW Track Inspection Vehicle?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1512971  by nyandw

I've seen them labeled as Rail Bus inspection car, Inspection Car, track vehicle, and nicknamed #1035 (stenciled "Gandy Wagon" ), for example.

1. Not found on MOW rosters. Perhaps as they were registered with the DMV NY State they were placed in a different department for accounting, insurance purposes, etc. As registered commercial vehicles that perhaps, changed their status as “rail” equipment?
2. This is what I have: VW track vehicles: #1035 (stenciled "Gandy Wagon" ), #1036, #1040 and #1041.
3. When in use?

Any other info/comments/photos to add?

Attachments:
VW Road-Rail Car 1035 - (Gandy Wagon) Glen Head, NY - 1960
VW Road-Rail Car 1035 - (Gandy Wagon) Glen Head, NY - 1960
VW Road-Rail Car 1035 - (Gandy Wagon) Glen Head, NY - 1960 (eBay).jpg (361.85 KiB) Viewed 2554 times
 #1513004  by LB

I have seen the VW Van in photos as early as 1960. If you look at old photos of Ronkonkoma, there was usually one parked near the yard building and appears in photos as late as 1966.
 #1513072  by BAR

Very interesting especially the built in turntable. Hi-rail trucks have to get off the tracks, turn on a road, and then rerail. Most speeders owned by individuals today have been retro-fitted with turntables which sure beats turning them with the hand rails.
 #1513077  by nyandw

LB wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:07 am I have seen the VW Van in photos as early as 1960. If you look at old photos of Ronkonkoma, there was usually one parked near the yard building and appears in photos as late as 1966.
Any shots you have seen? I have none: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/Ronkon ... onkoma.htm
 #1513094  by LB

Steve, emailed you a SEP 66 E-Bay photo of the VW Van parked at Ronkonkoma (I am not good at posting photos).
 #1513497  by Kelly&Kelly

After the railroad got done with these, and NRHS member out east bought one. I believe he's mentioned in Steel Rails to the Sunrise. I asked him about it many years ago, in the early '70's. He still had it but it was laid up badly rusted. A kid back then, I had wanted to buy it. What high-school-rail-buff wouldn't? He said the roof had rusted around the edges, so it was barely repairable. He had it on the tracks a couple of times after he bought it.