Railroad Forums 

• The Pascack Valley Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1508844  by mackdave

I was in my senior year of high school (1971) when EL put a eastbound hot piggyback all over the ground in Mahwah. I remember it well, as some of the trailers split open and there were beef carcasses all over the right of way. I was able to get a ride to the scene in early afternoon to see it. I just missed the following eastbound that was sent east on the Piermont Branch to Spring Valley, then down the NJ&NY. It had a pair of SD-45's as the power with about 100 cars. The RR had to call out managers to flag the crossings in Hackensack, as the manual gate tenders were not on duty during the middle of the day.

Mackdave.
 #1511154  by airman00

The other day, I saw pl42 #4000 going through westwood (towards spring valley) and it did not sound good at all. And then today, I saw on that stub siding in Hillsdale, either 1 or 2 flat cars with rails on them. It looked like just one flat car with rails, but could’ve been two. Couldn’t tell as I drove past how many cars.
 #1511375  by Angus202

airman00 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:58 pm I saw on that stub siding in Hillsdale, either 1 or 2 flat cars with rails on them. It looked like just one flat car with rails, but could’ve been two. Couldn’t tell as I drove past how many cars.
Four grade crossings are being replaced in Hillsdale this summer per https://thepressgroup.net/four-hillsdal ... placement/. This is likely the ~1000' of rail required to do so. There has been no word from NJT on the bustitution during replacement. At this point, I expect they'll notify PVL riders the night before service is suspended for the work. They could very well turn trains just west of Westwood, but that would require someone in management who is actually competent and can define the word "responsibility".
 #1511385  by R36 Combine Coach

For that project, will MNCR provide alternate bus service for Rockland passengers or NJT have buses north of the border? There is already frequent HudsonLink bus service as an alternate.
 #1511387  by njtmnrrbuff

Those are very important safety improvements to the grade crossings. As for Rockland County, hopefully those riders will use Hudson Link to connect to Metro North at Tarrytown. By the way, I have been seeing that ridership numbers on HudsonLink have been dismal from the start and hopefully they will improve.
 #1512925  by airman00

Apparently something came thru Westwood last night @ 3am with a MUCH louder than normal horn and woke several residents up last night. I must’ve slept thru it since I didn’t hear a thing. Anyone know what it was? One resident thought it was a work train or something?
 #1512930  by mohawkrailfan

Angus202 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:26 pm
airman00 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:58 pm I saw on that stub siding in Hillsdale, either 1 or 2 flat cars with rails on them. It looked like just one flat car with rails, but could’ve been two. Couldn’t tell as I drove past how many cars.
Four grade crossings are being replaced in Hillsdale this summer per https://thepressgroup.net/four-hillsdal ... placement/. This is likely the ~1000' of rail required to do so. There has been no word from NJT on the bustitution during replacement. At this point, I expect they'll notify PVL riders the night before service is suspended for the work. They could very well turn trains just west of Westwood, but that would require someone in management who is actually competent and can define the word "responsibility".
The first I heard of it was this tweet today, but I don't ride the PVL and I wasn't paying close attention.
 #1548155  by airman00

Yesterday I saw the blue “CNJ” unit leading a train headed towards spring valley. Pretty cool to see it for the first time!
 #1558890  by airman00

So the other day I saw a depressed center flatcar, on the Hillsdale stub siding with some kind of big grey container on it, like a generator or something similar. A high & wide move I’m assuming. Today, the generator or whatever it was, was gone, but the depressed center flatcar was still there. Anybody know anything about this? And did NJT move this, or was this a special Norfolk Southern freight move?
 #1559238  by airman00

Backshophoss wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:15 am NS freight move,with NJT blessings from their MOW for the High, Wide, and Heavy Depressed center flat car.
Thank you for the response! First freight move thru Westwood station in many, many years and I missed it! :( And I heard them leaving after picking up the empty car and missed that too.
 #1565101  by HAMMER77777

ebtmikado wrote: Mon May 02, 2016 3:09 pm
CPSK wrote:I can also recall coming across the now abandoned track near Monsey NY while at Requa Lake for my 9th grade picnic. A friend and I went wandering into the woods on a trail and came to the track. I recall that it was very rusty and appeared either abandoned, or nearly so. That would have been in 1971.
CP
The last job I worked on Erie Lackawanna before moving to Connecticut was on the "Upper End Hack", (NJ & NY Wayfreight), which originated in Croxton, ran up the NJ&NY to Spring Valley, over the Piermont Branch to Suffern, then down the Bergen County to Croxton. I was on the job 1972 to Sept., 1973, so there was definitely regular 5 days per week train service on that line beyond 1973.

Lee
If Im not mistaken I saw a train near Christmas Hill road in 1980s, in Monsey.
 #1591215  by airman00

Been awhile since I last posted here, but I saw a unique and rare train today on PVL around 1:15 this afternoon. A rail train moving slowly through Westwood station going towards Hoboken. 3 geeps pushing it. I didn't see the beginning of it, so don't know if any engine up front.

Any idea why the rail train was on the PVL today?